F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '17 430i Rough Start / Near Stall
ARMA SPEED

03-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
jrmjraymond
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 430i Alpine White

'17 430i Rough Start / Near Stall

Hi guys my 430i hasn't been starting up normally for the past 1-2 weeks.

I got this car 5 months ago as a CPO from McKenna BMW and took it to BMW of Riverside..they diagnosed it and said there were no faults and they couldn't reproduce the error.

The issue is my car gets like this when it's on a cold start and where I live it's around 30 degrees in the AM. Riverside couldn't recreate the issue because it doesn't get cold there..

I attached the video using drive I would appreciate any suggestions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mzg...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Try again, this time with the hood open and someone recording while someone else starts the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Try again, this time with the hood open and someone recording while someone else starts the car.
You can hear it a bit at the start of the video, it sounds like a lawnmower trying to start. I would recommend looking at/replacing the spark plugs to see any fuel buildup or other impurities. Also take a look at what's coming out of the exhaust, like dark smoke or fuel being spattered on the ground or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbrother View Post
You can hear it a bit at the start of the video, it sounds like a lawnmower trying to start. I would recommend looking at/replacing the spark plugs to see any fuel buildup or other impurities. Also take a look at what's coming out of the exhaust, like dark smoke or fuel being spattered on the ground or something.
I agree. There is an unusual sound in the beginning of the video.

It's surprising that the dealer could not find anything.

Is there an independent BMW shop in your area?
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
shimstack
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 6MT RWD

I had similar behavior form my 2017 330i (F31). It would only happen with a cold engine in temperatures below about 35°F. I'd start the car, and most of the time it would start fine, but if I didn't wait at least a whole minute before selecting "D" it would stumble and almost stall for 10-15 seconds before returning to normal idle. On one particularly cold day, some 8°F, the car stumbled immediately after startup without me engaging "D".

Under CPO warranty the dealer first tried resetting the injector adaptations, but there was no improvement. They then replaced the fuel injectors and the problem has gone away.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 01:30 AM   #6
jrmjraymond
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 430i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimstack View Post
I had similar behavior form my 2017 330i (F31). It would only happen with a cold engine in temperatures below about 35°F. I'd start the car, and most of the time it would start fine, but if I didn't wait at least a whole minute before selecting "D" it would stumble and almost stall for 10-15 seconds before returning to normal idle. On one particularly cold day, some 8°F, the car stumbled immediately after startup without me engaging "D".

Under CPO warranty the dealer first tried resetting the injector adaptations, but there was no improvement. They then replaced the fuel injectors and the problem has gone away.
Thanks for your reply bro I'll mention it to my SA
Appreciate 0