F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > oil from the crankcase ventilation system
GetBMWParts

05-11-2022, 10:27 PM   #23
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

alex_th32 One thing I wanted to verify, that Oil Catch can that you have - you installed it AFTER you found the oil leak, right? Because I installed a catch can on my 3er N47 diesel as a precaution to keep intake cleaner. Can clogged on me in the winter and resulted in increased crankcase pressure since PCV could not vent properly. The resulting side effect was that the oil on my N47 engine started to leak through seals into exhaust side of turbo, burning, and raising EGTs to very high Temps (600 to 700C while not regenerating). And quick loss of oil. I actually noticed it when I saw smoke in the rear view mirror, connected OBD and saw temps over 650 to 700C and regen OFF. My EGTs are in 200 to 300 normally, and max of 620 when regen. So 650 to 700 was highly unusual. Checked oil, it went from max to min, never lost a drop before then! Car had 51,000 miles then, barely out of warranty.

That is when I realized my catch can was the issue. Once I deleted it and reconnected straight PCV like factory intended, all returned to normal. No oil leaks, no changes to oil volume after 10,000 miles, and all went well. Now I am at 80 000 miles and oil keeps full. My wife's 2017 X5 SUV 35d with N57 is completely stock with almost 70,000 miles. Just checked her oil, right at MAX just like I filled it 7000 miles ago, area around turbo is dry. I stuck my fingers to trace the actuator, also dry. Your case is very peculiar, because you checked everything, from PCV, to turbo, and everything in between. Just wanted to ensure I understand chronology of events, that leak happened BEFORE the catch can.

The only substance on our N47 and N57 that has dropped is coolant. Mine dropped from max to min over 80,000 miles and hers over 70,000 miles. I am not topping off, I plan to drain and replace coolant on both, since I don't believe in anything being lifetime. But losing some coolant over 70 to 80 thousand miles I think is acceptable, nothing is perfectly sealed I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #24
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 435dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
alex_th32 One thing I wanted to verify, that Oil Catch can that you have - you installed it AFTER you found the oil leak, right? Because I installed a catch can on my 3er N47 diesel as a precaution to keep intake cleaner. Can clogged on me in the winter and resulted in increased crankcase pressure since PCV could not vent properly. The resulting side effect was that the oil on my N47 engine started to leak through seals into exhaust side of turbo, burning, and raising EGTs to very high Temps (600 to 700C while not regenerating). And quick loss of oil. I actually noticed it when I saw smoke in the rear view mirror, connected OBD and saw temps over 650 to 700C and regen OFF. My EGTs are in 200 to 300 normally, and max of 620 when regen. So 650 to 700 was highly unusual. Checked oil, it went from max to min, never lost a drop before then! Car had 51,000 miles then, barely out of warranty.

That is when I realized my catch can was the issue. Once I deleted it and reconnected straight PCV like factory intended, all returned to normal. No oil leaks, no changes to oil volume after 10,000 miles, and all went well. Now I am at 80 000 miles and oil keeps full. My wife's 2017 X5 SUV 35d with N57 is completely stock with almost 70,000 miles. Just checked her oil, right at MAX just like I filled it 7000 miles ago, area around turbo is dry. I stuck my fingers to trace the actuator, also dry. Your case is very peculiar, because you checked everything, from PCV, to turbo, and everything in between. Just wanted to ensure I understand chronology of events, that leak happened BEFORE the catch can.

The only substance on our N47 and N57 that has dropped is coolant. Mine dropped from max to min over 80,000 miles and hers over 70,000 miles. I am not topping off, I plan to drain and replace coolant on both, since I don't believe in anything being lifetime. But losing some coolant over 70 to 80 thousand miles I think is acceptable, nothing is perfectly sealed I guess.
Thank you for the photos i really appreciate it. I looked at your photos I would like you to look from the bottom of the turbocharger where the oils can drip your camera should be from the bottom and facing up (for this reason I bought a telescopic camera , because I could never look at that point). but you wrote that you checked it well with the fingers of your hand.

Yes, after I accidentally found the leak, thinking that the oils came from the crankcase vent, I made a construction with Separator Catch Can Filter to reduce this problem and installed it, and then again the same problem appeared without any result. now I have it uninstalled because it has no purpose. Thank you for your information and experience and it is very important .I have read the thread you made, you posted it was very sad what happened in your car I wish everything goes well from now on and does not affect you anywhere else.

What do you think about these questions I wrote? please any of your idea will help me to identify what may be the problem.
thanks

##I will ask some questions which are considered ridiculous, rather questions of despair.
before I found the leak I had changed the oil brand to TOP TEC 4600 5W-30 LIQUI MOLY but I do not know before if I had this problem. is there a case to be related to this?

also the big turbine that I checked well and I did not find an obvious problem, it had no gambling, it did not have burnt oils, it looked very good. there is a case however he has a problem and leaks oils, is this possible?

is there a case of high oil pressure?##

Last edited by alex_th32; 05-16-2022 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 12:39 PM   #25
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
alex_th32 The resulting side effect was that the oil on my N47 engine started to leak through seals into exhaust side of turbo, burning, and raising EGTs to very high Temps (600 to 700C while not regenerating). And quick loss of oil.
Nice piece of advice on the EGTs, definitely adding that to my toolbox.

Don't do the coolant change anytime soon. The EGR recall requires a coolant change anyway, so you may as well get it done for free.
      01-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #26
alex_th32
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 435dx

Hi again everyone, I don't know if anyone has any info on this yet.

I am updating this issue:

I have not done anything else after all this, the car is in perfect condition without any problems, the oil is now not visible on the outside, no oil is leaking at all, for now, the whole thing is very mysterious
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 05:05 PM   #27
John_Stuart
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 328d

The Mann & Hummel ProVent is the right crankcase ventilation filter to prevent condensed crankcase ventilation oily aerosols from contaminating the air intake system. ProVent crankcase vent filters are used OEM by diesel engine and equipment manufacturers.

A ProVent MUST have the required coalescing filter element installed, to properly clean and remove oil from the crankcase ventilation gasses fed to the intake system. If the coalescing filter element is missing/not installed, the ProVent will not remove the oily aerosol residue from the crankcase blow by gasses.

Also, the bottom hose spigot connection is provided to return separated oily residue to the crankcase, or stored and drained manually, occasionally. If an oil return is not connected to the crankcase, the drain hose connection must be capped off or plugged.

With a correctly sized and installed ProVent, there will be no oily residue in the air intake system. Other than the minimal negative effects of oily residue in the intake system plumbing, there are some issues this will cause, however nil or no oily intake residue is always preferred.
Smaller ProVent 100 or 150 separators are a better flow rating sizing match for the BMW N47/N57 diesel engines.
The rated full engine load continuous blow by gas volume flow capacity of the 200 is a lot higher than the BMW diesel engines generate, and a smaller ProVent 100 will be easier to install.
Appreciate 1