F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Thinkin about upgrading my F30 xDrive's wheels from 17 to 19 or 20 inches....
Studio RSR

01-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #1
__BMW__
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive LCI

Talking Thinkin about upgrading my F30 xDrive's wheels from 17 to 19 or 20 inches....

Hey all,

I currently own a 2016 BMW 328i xDrive, LCI, w/ the Sport Line package, in Alpine white over black leather. I love, love, love the car. It's my first Beamer, and first nice car in general I've ever owned.

I am just trying to upgrade the look to make it more sporty. I am in love with the way the car drives, but the front bumper and wheels make it look a bit like a "mom car" lol....it's got the blacked out trim instead of chrome which I like, I blacked out the trunk emblems and BMW logo's, tinted the windows all around w/sunstrip, I added M3 style mirror caps in gloss black, and added gloss black kidney grilles.

...but the first real upgrade I'm doing is wheels. (After wheels I'm going to do an M3 style front bumper, then an exhaust and m3 rear bumper & skirts.)

I want to upgrade the wheels to either 19 or 20 inches from 17. I'm well aware of how ride quality will be affected by 19 inchers and low pro tires, VS 17 inchers and regular tires, but I don't think it ruins the ride that much, and I still want to upgrade for the look.

But, I have heard that you need to be very careful with the xDrive system as just slapping new wheels on it that are not stock size can damage the drivetrain and send the car into limp mode.

The bolt pattern is 5x120, stock wheels are 17 inch diameter by 7.5 inch width. Most 19 or 20 inch wheels I've found are 8.5 inches wide.

I really want to put a set of 666m style wheels on it, like these.

But I also know my luck lol, and if I just buy these and slap them on my car I know there will be at least a couple issues.

Because of the extra wide back tires, are these style wheels a no go on a stock F30?https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post24240816

I PRETTY MUCH, know what to look for and the right setup, but this is my first time doing any upgrades to a car I've owned so I wanted to check with the interwebs first.

I don't really know how a certain offset will affect the cars driveability and rubbing while turning. I'm not sure how the all wheel drive system will be affected. And the last thing I want to do is cause the car to go into limp mode on day one of modding my car.

Thanks all.

Last edited by __BMW__; 01-10-2023 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Larger wheels won't give better ride, handling or noise levels. If anything they'll be worse. Larger wheels are also more prone to wheel, tire and suspension damage, especially from potholes. Considering the road conditions in Boston you might want to reconsider. I made sure to get 17s on mine for just that reason, as I regularly visit Boston and New York, and didn't want to have to deal with a blown tire, bent wheel or broken suspension a hundred miles or more away from home.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
__BMW__
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Larger wheels won't give better ride, handling or noise levels. If anything they'll be worse. Larger wheels are also more prone to wheel, tire and suspension damage, especially from potholes. Considering the road conditions in Boston you might want to reconsider. I made sure to get 17s on mine for just that reason, as I regularly visit Boston and New York, and didn't want to have to deal with a blown tire, bent wheel or broken suspension a hundred miles or more away from home.

Thanks for the reply man. My previous car, a 2016 Honda Accord "Sport" (lol) had 19 inch wheels with low pro Conti tires, and I am well aware of how they affect the ride and handling. I actually did bust a tire one time on a pot hole with my 19's on the Honda. Honestly I am not that worried about ride quality and busting tires as I've already dealt with it on my last car and only busted a tire once ever.

I am also not concerned about being stranded in a random location as I am always prepared with road side assistance and another runner car.

My main concern isn't the basic problems such as potholes and road noise....my primary concern is how the xDrive system will be affected by wheels with a different radius and weight.

If I upgrade the wheels to 19 or 20 inches my main concern is non stock un-sprung weight being spun by the xDrive system and throwing errors.

Do you have any technical insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:58 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A different radius is an absolute no-no. Supposedly they should be within a 1% tolerance. I don't think the system is that sensitive, I would think 2% would be OK, but with a 26 inch diameter tire that's only 1/2 inch. Extra wide rears also don't make sense to me with AWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #5
__BMW__
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A different radius is an absolute no-no. Supposedly they should be within a 1% tolerance. I don't think the system is that sensitive, I would think 2% would be OK, but with a 26 inch diameter tire that's only 1/2 inch. Extra wide rears also don't make sense to me with AWD.
As far as extra wide rears, that's just how most larger wheel diameters come from the manufacturer.

Do you know how the weight of the wheel would affect XDrive? I've read elsewhere that a wheel of a different weight will make the car think that the tire is slipping when it's not, and send it into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Manufacturers aren't above giving the customer what he wants instead of what he needs. As recently as the 2000 year models 15 and 16 inch wheels were the norm, while 17s were the largest made and were rare. I had 17s on my 2000 and couldn't find a decent selection of tires for them before 2004. Wheels larger than 17 inch exist for purely cosmetic reasons.

XDrive knows what each wheel is doing via the ABS wheel speed sensors.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:34 PM   #7
StealthF32
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by __BMW__ View Post
Hey all,

I currently own a 2016 BMW 328i xDrive, LCI, w/ the Sport Line package, in Alpine white over black leather. I love, love, love the car. It's my first Beamer, and first nice car in general I've ever owned.

I am just trying to upgrade the look to make it more sporty. I am in love with the way the car drives, but the front bumper and wheels make it look a bit like a "mom car" lol....it's got the blacked out trim instead of chrome which I like, I blacked out the trunk emblems and BMW logo's, tinted the windows all around w/sunstrip, I added M3 style mirror caps in gloss black, and added gloss black kidney grilles.

...but the first real upgrade I'm doing is wheels. (After wheels I'm going to do an M3 style front bumper, then an exhaust and m3 rear bumper & skirts.)

I want to upgrade the wheels to either 19 or 20 inches from 17. I'm well aware of how ride quality will be affected by 19 inchers and low pro tires, VS 17 inchers and regular tires, but I don't think it ruins the ride that much, and I still want to upgrade for the look.

But, I have heard that you need to be very careful with the xDrive system as just slapping new wheels on it that are not stock size can damage the drivetrain and send the car into limp mode.

The bolt pattern is 5x120, stock wheels are 17 inch diameter by 7.5 inch width. Most 19 or 20 inch wheels I've found are 8.5 inches wide.

I really want to put a set of 666m style wheels on it, like these.

But I also know my luck lol, and if I just buy these and slap them on my car I know there will be at least a couple issues.

Because of the extra wide back tires, are these style wheels a no go on a stock F30?https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post24240816

I PRETTY MUCH, know what to look for and the right setup, but this is my first time doing any upgrades to a car I've owned so I wanted to check with the interwebs first.

I don't really know how a certain offset will affect the cars driveability and rubbing while turning. I'm not sure how the all wheel drive system will be affected. And the last thing I want to do is cause the car to go into limp mode on day one of modding my car.

Thanks all.
Browse through the below link & keep in mind with your preferred tire size with xdrive - - it helped me when I got my Apex!!

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
__BMW__
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthF32 View Post
Browse through the below link & keep in mind with your preferred tire size with xdrive - - it helped me when I got my Apex!!

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
Dude thank you so much for this guide, it's def a step in the right direction. Going to give it a read through.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #9
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
I think 18s are the sweet spot for our cars. 19" and 20" only look good if you lower the car as well...visually the wheel gaps should the same or smaller than the tire sidewalls.

Here's another helpful link:
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 11:55 PM   #10
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

So I had a set of 20’s laying around from my 650 xdrive. I put them on last week and definitely like the footprint better the te 18x8. On the 650 I ran the 245/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear which is almost identical for a staggered fitment and to maintain the correct ratio. Since the wheels are an aggressive fitment I wasn’t sure if the 285 would clear the back on 335 xdrive. I chose to go with a 275/30/20 which with the 245/35/20 is still within 1%.
My bad wheel specs are 20x9 +25 front 20x10.5 +38 rear. For the rear if you decide to do a 20 you definitely probably don’t want to do any wider than a 10/10.5 and probably a slightly higher offset probably 41-44 mm. I have just enough poke that I like, but 3 or 4 mm higher would be perfect.
Again I had these leftover and hoped and prayed they would fit after reading every thread on here about wheel fitment for 20’s. After all I am new to the F30 platform. IF I was starting from scratch I would probably do 19’s. I definitely need to drop her about an inch to get rid of the mini 4x4 syndrome.
Also this is a Tanzanite Blue luxury package so will be upgrading to the M sport brakes, bumper and sides. Still undecided about the M2 front bumper conversion as of yet…
Anyway my point is if you doing 20’s you will want to lower it so keep that in mind and in your budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #11
KeithSp1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport X Drive

I changed from 18 to 19 on my 320d xdrive m sport, 40,000+ miles with no issues. I went for a used set of OEM wheels, the potholes have tried their best but the still run true. The OEM wheels seem very strong.
Appreciate 0