F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Performance Shop recommendations for DOWNPIPE Installation? (called BPG, EAS, others)
GetBMWParts

11-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

Performance Shop recommendations for DOWNPIPE Installation? (called BPG, EAS, others)

I'm in the Waltham Area. I've called the two local recommended ones near me:

European Auto Solutions:

Doesn't want to install non oem

Barvarian Performance Group:

Won't install downpipes at all

Eastside Motoring:

Haven't called these guys, but based on reviews they take FOREVER to finish their work. I don't want to be out a car for 3 days for a 30 minute install. I hate shops that take the sale so they can hold the vehicle when they're not ready to work on it.

Turner BMW Service in Amesbury:

Extremely backed up, next available mid December.

-------

For reference this is an AA catted DP not catless. I would understand not wanting to install catless in MA. Not installing a catted DP is just ridiculous, I have no idea why anyone recommends BPG at all when they're scared of simple work.

I'm about to just install this myself if it's really this much of a PITA to have a shop do it. It's a B58 340i, you can swap this DP in 30 minutes with a lift.

Last edited by cxmplex; 11-18-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
I'm in the Waltham Area. I've called the two local recommended ones near me:

European Auto Solutions:

Doesn't want to install non oem

Barvarian Performance Group:

Won't install downpipes at all

Eastside Motoring:

Haven't called these guys, but based on reviews they take FOREVER to finish their work. I don't want to be out a car for 3 days for a 30 minute install. I hate shops that take the sale so they can hold the vehicle when they're not ready to work on it.

Turner BMW Service in Amesbury:

Extremely backed up, next available mid December.

-------

For reference this is an AA catted DP not catless. I would understand not wanting to install catless in MA. Not installing a catted DP is just ridiculous, I have no idea why anyone recommends BPG at all when they're scared of simple work.

I'm about to just install this myself if it's really this much of a PITA to have a shop do it. It's a B58 340i, you can swap this DP in 30 minutes with a lift.
Meineke? It's a simple enough job that they should be able to do it. Prob won't charge much either.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Meineke? It's a simple enough job that they should be able to do it. Prob won't charge much either.
I ended up just doing this myself. I'm not a huge car guy (slowly becoming one), but it was fun. Had lots of issues getting the O2 lines to clear the bay in order to drop out the existing dp. I imagine this is just due to the angle I was working with, the YouTube videos of guys doing it on lifts makes it seem incredibly easy. Then, I had some issues getting the new DP flush and tightening the vband. Ended up working out though, glad I did it myself for the experience.

Had a bit of white smoke for the first 10-20 min of driving (not like billowing smoke), read on the forums it was likely either the anti oxidization coating or all the PB blaster I sprayed. Sure enough it went away and she sounds beautiful, much throatier? (Don't know how best to describe) without adding too much loudness.

MHD Stage 2 E30 running great as well.
Appreciate 3
      12-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
stefanbaumg
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Hey, congrats on installing it yourself! I have a charge pipe to install and also looking for a shop in the area. But like you said, Turner's very backed up and Schneller (which I hear very good things about) doesn't respond. Turner also seems expensive, quoting me $300 for the install.
Your post gave me hope that maybe I can just do the charge pipe myself if you managed to do the down pipe yourself without having too much prior experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanbaumg View Post
Hey, congrats on installing it yourself! I have a charge pipe to install and also looking for a shop in the area. But like you said, Turner's very backed up and Schneller (which I hear very good things about) doesn't respond. Turner also seems expensive, quoting me $300 for the install.
Your post gave me hope that maybe I can just do the charge pipe myself if you managed to do the down pipe yourself without having too much prior experience.
Hey to update regarding shops, I had Eastside Motoring install 4 new tires and gap & install a full set of spark plugs (I provided the plugs).

Took 2 hours labor for the spark plugs. This is why I didn't want to do it myself, the 5th and 6th cylinder seems annoying as fuck to get to based on the videos I've watched, so I wasn't upset about it taking them 2.

Took 1 hour of labor for installing the tires.

The invoice was pretty simple, just 3 hours of labor, no other fees. I think it was like $110/hr labor. Honestly despite seeing some worrysome reviews, I had a good experience with them, I didn't get that "if you don't drive a $100k car they won't care" vibe from them at all.

-------------------------

I think I'll be coming back to them soon to install either the supra pump or a dorsch stage 1/2. The MHD HPFP map seems pretty good, a lot of extra boost compared to the non HPFP. Long term plans I think I want to go the Vargas Turbo route and get a custom tune to around 550-600hp on hopefully e50. I don't want to go the "full" turbos because they generally require a lot of other things to be swapped out as well for reliability, but it looks like b58s are reliable up to 600hp without many changes.

Quote:
Charge pipe I think is a little bit harder. I've been eying the CPI kit from BMS and have looked into the vsrf chargepipe upgrade.

It doesn't look too terrible, but just be warned in videos they manage to pull pieces out with ease and slide them in effortlessly. In real life or at least a non-professional doing it, all of those steps are a pain in the ass lol. I spent like at least 30 minutes getting the original downpipe out lol.

Last edited by cxmplex; 01-11-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0