F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I'm officially a BMW Owner!
GetBMWParts

08-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #23
F30104
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
I also just upgraded my bulbs to LEDs (instead of full housing swap) .... these are the exact ones I got: https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/

I have been pretty happy with them so far (for the price anyways). If you add the item to cart, proceed to checkout, but don't actually checkout, they will usually send you email and give you a discount code (usually 10%). Alternatively, you can just email Bimmian if you have any questions and ask for a discount.

With BMWs, there are often "hidden" features that can be enabled by "coding". Buying one of the adapters mentioned by sspade allows you to "code" there features (its not actually coding, rather just changing values from on or off). For example, if your car didn't come with the Sport Automatic Transmission, you can code that in (this gives you faster and sportier shifts). Another common coding, is to "Remember Last Setting" for the Auto Start/Stop.

Another mod that might be up your alley is new wheels (and tires). I can't tell if you have the sportline rims or the base 17" rims .... if it's the base 17", upgrading to 18" OEM Sportline rims (sorry guys, forgot the style #) would look sexy (or something like the Apex Arc-8 would look sexy too). If you're upgrading your wheel, then you need new tires too.... for tires, get Non RFT, my recommendation is Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental Extreme Contact Sports or Bridgestone Pole positions.
it's the base 17" wheels. Thanks for all the help! I'm overwhelmed with all the possibilities. I'm not sure what to do first!! I'm thinking H7 Low Beams First...then maybe a front lip...I looked for some front lips yesterday.. there are literally hundreds to choose from. Do you have a good suggestion? I don't want to "rice" it out. just to improve the looks..not going for a over the top tuner look. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #24
Coercion Shaman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30104 View Post
I don't want to "rice" it out. just to improve the looks..not going for a over the top tuner look. thanks
Thank you for that.

Very nice car.
      08-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

Very nice ride my friend! Jealous of that new car excitement you must have

What I'd do first is order the vgate OBD port adapter and get an app called BimmerCode so that you can customize your car by coding small things in that makes your BMW yours. For example I've change the iDrive start up animation, changed the welcome lights, disabled the auto start/stop feature and a few other things.

I'd also maybe consider tinting the rear lights slightly, really love how that looks on the 1 series. If you're planning on tuning I'd get used to the car for the first month or two, get used to the power and rear wheel drive platform then go for a stage 1 or stage 2 at most. Oh and if you'd like a nice sound & a bit more BHP change the in-take to a cold air in-take.

Hope I gave you some ideas that you might like

EDIT: I would have also suggested that you modify the exhaust for more airflow but nowadays it's difficult topic because of the law.

Last edited by Lagemba; 08-17-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #26
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcami View Post

What I'd first is order the vgate OBD port adapter and get an app called BimmerCode so that you can customize your car by coding small things in that make your BMW yours. For example I've change the iDrive start up animation, changed the welcome lights, disabled the auto start/stop feature and a few other things.

I'd also maybe consider tinting the rear lights slightly, really love how that looks on the 1 series. If you're planning on tuning I'd get used to the car for the first month or two, get used to the power and rear wheel drive platform then go for a stage 1 or stage 2 at most. Oh and if you'd like a nice sound & a bit more BHP change the in-take to a cold air in-take.

thanks! I'll be ordering bimmercode today!! I'll also look into rear tinting! I appreciate all the great ideas! I'm loving the vehicle so far!! Can't say I've ever been this excited or proud of owning an Audi!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:

What I'd first is order the vgate OBD port adapter and get an app called BimmerCode so that you can customize your car by coding small things in that make your BMW yours. For example I've change the iDrive start up animation, changed the welcome lights, disabled the auto start/stop feature and a few other things.

EDIT: I would have also suggested that you modify the exhaust for more airflow but nowadays it's difficult topic because of the law.
hey, I see bimmercode offers a few different adapters for Android...which one should I purchase? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #28
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hey, I see bimmercode offers a few different adapters for Android...which one should I purchase? thanks
This is the one I bought for my BMW and it works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FU5MV...302_E_DDE_di_1

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #29
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is the one I bought for my BMW and it works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FU5MV...302_E_DDE_di_1

Hope that helps.
thank you it does! I looked it up on Amazon. It says it's for reading errors etc...is that right, or does it also code the vehicle to do different things?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #30
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thank you it does! I looked it up on Amazon. It says it's for reading errors etc...is that right, or does it also code the vehicle to do different things?
That is just the adapter, which lets your phone connect to it via WiFi. Once connected, you use an app to communicate with the car. The app allows you to fix errors etc that come up on the dash. It also allows you to code/change features in your car in order to make it more customized to the user. The app allows you to do many useful things, but the main reason people get it is to disable/enable/modify features in their car.

Just make sure you get the WiFi version of the adapter and you should be sorted, just noticed you have the Bluetooth version in that screenshot. You also need to pay in the app to enable the coding feature, just so you're aware. Well worth it in my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #31
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is just the adapter, which lets your phone connect to it via WiFi. Once connected, you use an app to communicate with the car. The app allows you to fix errors etc that come up on the dash. It also allows you to code/change features in your car in order to make it more customized to the user. The app allows you to do many useful things, but the main reason people get it is to disable/enable/modify features in their car.

Just make sure you get the WiFi version of the adapter and you should be sorted. You also need to pay in the app to enable the coding feature, just so you're aware. Well worth it in my opinion though.
oh okay perfect! What's the price? do you remember? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #32
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The adapter cost me around £20, while the in-app purchase cost me around £25.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #33
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just make sure you get the WiFi version of the adapter and you should be sorted. You also need to pay in the app to enable the coding feature, just so you're aware. Well worth it in my opinion though.
You should be able to download BimmerLink, BimmerCode, and buy a Vgate iCar 3 adapter for about $80 total.

Check eBay as well for the adapter. Should not cost more than $25 shipped at the very high side. I paid $17 for mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #34
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be able to download BimmerLink, BimmerCode, and buy a Vgate iCar 3 adapter for about $80 total.

Check eBay as well for the adapter. Should not cost more than $25 shipped at the very high side. I paid $17 for mine.
so one adapter will do both as long as I have both of the apps? so the two apps do different things..am I understanding correctly? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #35
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so one adapter will do both as long as I have both of the apps? so the two apps do different things..am I understanding correctly? thanks
Yes. You got it.

BimmerLink is for reading and clearing error codes, CEL's, etc (diagnostics). You can also view sensor values, control the exhaust flap and a couple things as well.

BimmerCode is for actual coding of features/preferences.

All you need is a single adapter to plug into your cars OBD port so that your car can communicate wirelessly with your phone (and the apps).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #36
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. You got it.

BimmerLink is for reading and clearing error codes, CEL's, etc (diagnostics). You can also view sensor values, control the exhaust flap and a couple things as well.

BimmerCode is for actual coding of features/preferences.

All you need is a single adapter to plug into your cars OBD port so that your car can communicate wirelessly with your phone (and the apps).
Thanks! It's amazing how much all of you are willing to help! I joined an Audi forum, they were all like..figure it out bud...I appreciate all the guidance!
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #37
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! It's amazing how much all of you are willing to help! I joined an Audi forum, they were all like..figure it out bud...I appreciate all the guidance!
Always happy to help . BMW drivers are essentially one big family .
Appreciate 1
F3010418.00
      08-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #38
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Congrats and welcome! Friendly reminder, for most of us the best way to increase our rides performance is to upgrade the driver, I highly recommend some HPDE. Good luck!
      08-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #39
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Congrats and welcome! Friendly reminder, for most of us the best way to increase our rides performance is to upgrade the driver, I highly recommend some HPDE. Good luck!
thanks for the tip! I was lucky enough to be able to take a 1 Day Course out in Vegas. I was able to rent a f430. It wasn't so much training as it was saftey and some simulator training before they let you get behind the wheel. Plus they have a guy with you telling/yelling at you when to lay into it and brake lol.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      08-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #40
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge in terms of front lips .... i know some forum members have ordered theirs off ebay, but I don't know what brand/seller has best fitment.

I am sure more knowledgeable members will chime in with their experiences
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #41
F30104
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge in terms of front lips .... i know some forum members have ordered theirs off ebay, but I don't know what brand/seller has best fitment.

I am sure more knowledgeable members will chime in with their experiences
thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #42
tsm007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
2003 Honda CBR954RR  [0.00]
Quote:
Australian Model? I'm not sure what you mean.
Lmao the car is from the down under. Congrats on the ride.
      08-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #43
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Guy's he's come from Audi only 300 miles ago, give him another 300 and he'll be proper side up

F30104 Congrats and welcome! You won't look back.

Like sspade said, start with cosmetics and coding like:
Door lights on in reverse
Rear leds with DRLs
Comfort access
Then when the excitement seems to be wearing a tad, you can start modding.
FMIC, Exhaust, Flash Tune, etc. We're all here to help you through it.

PS Ikon Motorsports on ebay makes quality stuff and fitment is OEM from what I've heard.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 2
F3010418.00
sspade2464.50