F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Question about software version for coding
ARMA SPEED

11-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Question about software version for coding

I purchased a e-net cable a few weeks ago and it came with instructions on where to download PSdZData 50.4 and E-sys 3.23.4 and included an email to send my token request to.

My question is kind of multi part
1) Is that the latest version of the software I need?
- What is the latest version?
- Where can I get the latest version?
2) are the tokens valid for any version?
3) What do I miss out on if i use an older version?
4) I am assuming the PSdZdata is the data file and gets updated much more frequently than the E-sys software. What happens when a new version of PSdZdata comes out?
5) Can i use the same token for other cars? Say for example if i code a friends car
6) I noticed a token only lasts for a year. How does the expiration process? What happens to my codes when the token expires?

Sorry for all the questions, this whole coding process isnt very cut and dry...im just trying to wrap my head around it.
      11-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

As I understand it and I am happy to be corrected:

1. That is the latest version.
2. I believe the token is only valid for the version for which it was purchased. You won't need to update the Esys though as even an old version will do what you want. The PSdZdata files are the things you may need to update due to software updates in the car.
3. Nothing
4. You download the new version and replace the old version. No cost and no change in functionality of the program.
5. Yes, you will notice there are quite a few people, myself included, who code many cars with the same token.
6. Nothing happens to the coding you have done, you will just not be able to code anything else until the new token is purchased.

I'm not sure why you would think everything is not cut and dry, is seems so to me?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

1. Yes, 3.23.4 is the latest I've seen. PM Shawn for updates when they come out.
2. It depends on where you get the token. The tokens are universal, but the come with "patches" to enable their use. The token/patch I received from TokenMaster works on both 3.2.5 and 3.23.4. Other patches are version specific.
3. You don't miss out on anything, but there are sometimes dependencies on psdzdata. For example, psdzdata 51.1 is out now and it requires running E-Sys 3.23.4+, so the older version of E-Sys will just stop working.
4. As was previously said, you just download the new version and replace (not merge) the previous one.
5. The token is tied to the program, not the car. I've coded over 50 cars with the same token.
6. When the token expires, it will just prevent you from using E-Sys to FDL code anymore. When you go to code something new and enter your PIN, an error will popup saying that the token has expired. It won't affect anything previous coded on a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

thanks guys! much appreciated
      01-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
eyalgoldman
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Who exactly are the sources who issue the tokens and how are they generating them… and can a token be shared from another user?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
TheBigDog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 330  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalgoldman View Post
Who exactly are the sources who issue the tokens and how are they generating them… and can a token be shared from another user?
There are a couple people that can make these tokens and I have seen some floating around that get shared, but I got mine from TokenMaster and was happy to pay for it as it enables me to program my car. They did the work to make it possible for all of us and I feel it is worth supporting them and would not share my token with anyone. I would, however, be willing to code someone else's car but if they want to do their own coding I would have them buy their own.
Appreciate 0