F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > i Pace - Would you?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I think autocar did a real world comparison with thr I pace of driving it efficiently v using the performance as much as possible.

Didn't make as much difference as you'd have imagined, but either way the realistic range was much lower than the official figures suggest.

It was way less than 200, which completely rules it out for me till the charging network is miles better than it is.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I think autocar did a real world comparison with thr I pace of driving it efficiently v using the performance as much as possible.

Didn't make as much difference as you'd have imagined, but either way the realistic range was much lower than the official figures suggest.

It was way less than 200, which completely rules it out for me till the charging network is miles better than it is.
Way leas than 200 miles! I do that just around Norfolk quite often! EV’s are way over a decade off being useable!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #25
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...electric-range

Here is the article.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #26
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I'm surprised about your comments on discharge. I'd always thought that it was better for batteries if they were newly fully discharged and then fully charged.

I've so much to learn about EVs.
Would be cool if you could start a full thread on your own experience and costs etc and update over time maybe?
What your thinking about is 'memory' effect with NiCad cells - like in electric toothbrushes. Current Lithiumion cells don't suffer from any memory issues, degredation however is worst when kept charged to 100% or when the cell is depleted fully - which is exactly how we all use our mobile phones - charge to 100% and than run to near empty. Luckily most EV batteries have a complex managent setup to ensure max life/performance.

One of the reasons the iPace has less range than our Model X despite been a smaller car with a larger battery is almost certainly because Jaguar had to outsource development of the battery/sotfware to LG, but Tesla has full vertical integration of drivetrain development.

I do often try to post info on my EV experiences, but the same individuals always inevitably start posting aggressive antiEv comments, which I really cannot be bothered to deal with these days.....Just see the other thread on EVs in the UK section.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      10-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #27
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Office and back is 220, if I add in a few holdups, bit of rain and uk weather then EV is out of the reckoning. Shame as would like to give one a whirl.
Traffic jams actually hardly effect total range!!! I sat in stationary traffic on the M1 for over an hour last summer with aircon running and used about 1% of the total battery.

220 miles is some commute, your be pushing it in an iPace especially winter. But something like a long range Model 3/100D S Tesla would be fine, even in the worst weather. Hyundai also just released the Kona EV which will do 250 miles in bad weather, but I have to admit to some badge snobbery, dropping £30k on a Hyundai is bit too much.

The alternative to find some charging at work. An iPace plugged into any 3 point socket for a few hours whilst your working will do 220 miles round trip fine. The kind of miles your doing actually means the fuel savings would offest higher purchase costs quickly!!

Last edited by gangzoom; 10-20-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I'm surprised about your comments on discharge. I'd always thought that it was better for batteries if they were newly fully discharged and then fully charged.

I've so much to learn about EVs.
Would be cool if you could start a full thread on your own experience and costs etc and update over time maybe?
What your thinking about is 'memory' effect with NiCad cells - like in electric toothbrushes. Current Lithiumion cells don't suffer from any memory issues, degredation however is worst when kept charged to 100% or when the cell is depleted fully - which is exactly how we all use our mobile phones - charge to 100% and than run to near empty. Luckily most EV batteries have a complex managent setup to ensure max life/performance.

One of the reasons the iPace has less range than our Model X despite been a smaller car with a larger battery is almost certainly because Jaguar had to outsource development of the battery/sotfware to LG, but Tesla has full vertical integration of drivetrain development.

I do often try to post info on my EV experiences, but the same individuals always inevitably start posting aggressive antiEv comments, which I really cannot be bothered to deal with these days.....Just see the other thread on EVs in the UK section.
I really enjoy reading your posts on EVs and it's been great to read your posts over the past couple of days. Keep them coming. I'm in agreement with you on EVs being the future and I think we are going to see a huge shake up with autonomous EVs replacing large swathes of personal ownership. The roads in the future are going to look very different and even fixtures like traffic lights will disappear in a few decades. People will be banned from driving in the cities.

I know we've exchanged views on Tesla specifically (build quality and Elon's grip over his followers), so if my posts have been amongst those that you are referring to as putting you off posting then I apologise unreservedly

The model X is close to perfect for what I am looking for now - when travelling on business from Heathrow I even stay at a hotel with superchargers in the car park and most lunchtimes I am at a shopping mall with them installed too. The car itself is perfectly packaged apart from being a bit wide. The only thing putting me off (and it's a big one) is that similar money puts me in cars of much higher quality and feel good factor (for my own taste, not knocking yours).

The EV driving experience was fine, although the RRS PHEV was even better in electric mode - true silent refinement.

I'm still tempted to revisit the Tesla website after writing this

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      10-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #29
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Traffic jams actually hardly effect total range!!! I sat in stationary traffic on the M1 for over an hour last summer with aircon running and used about 1% of the total battery.

220 miles is some commute, your be pushing it in an iPace especially winter. But something like a long range Model 3/100D S Tesla would be fine, even in the worst weather. Hyundai also just released the Kona EV which will do 250 miles in bad weather, but I have to admit to some badge snobbery, dropping £30k on a Hyundai is bit too much.

The alternative to find some charging at work. An iPace plugged into any 3 point socket for a few hours whilst your working will do 220 miles round trip fine. The kind of miles your doing actually means the fuel savings would offest higher purchase costs quickly!!
Good to hear about the stationary traffic. It’s my high mileage that makes EV attractive, ipace monthlies are relatively low with an 8ppm excess. I think man maths spreadsheet made break even against my 335 around 18k miles but I’ll double check.

Jag have an app that will monitor you’re driving and then predict how the iPads would cope. I’m sure it’s optimist but I’ll download that and see what it comes up with.
      10-21-2018, 03:25 AM   #30
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I know we've exchanged views on Tesla specifically (build quality and Elon's grip over his followers), so if my posts have been amongst those that you are referring to as putting you off posting then I apologise unreservedly
I have no issues people pointing out issues, personally I think Tesla overselling AutoPilot functions is one of the best examples of blatant PR stunts any company has pulled off, and loads of people seem to buy into it no questions asked.

The iPace has no doubt softer plastics etc, but given my previous cars were things like Integra Type R, 350Z, before my 335i you can tell how much I personally care about interior plastics etc .

I am sure however all BMW owners know about the importance of AUC and the non-existent link between soft touch plastics and how much you need pay to keep that warranty.......Having now had the X for 13 months and 15K and am very confident in saying I'll happily run it way past the 50K 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.

The seats still look like new after 15K, and amazingly when test with a sound meter the interior of the X is as quiet as the iPace despite what the motoring press have suggesting the iPace is better insulated/more refined!!

But if you don't need the 6/7 seats and extra space of the X I would wait another 12 months and see just have the e-Tron/Merc EQB thingy turn out like. The Model 3 will be in the UK by than, and am sure Tesla will be updating the S/X at some point......More choice is always better for the consumer, and I do hope BMW comes up with something good, after all the 335i was the best combustion car I owned - Despite been the most unreliable, which again shows the very subjective nature we all have about 'quality' because based on reliability the 335i was worse than my old Peug 106, and I know which one I rather own!!

Last edited by gangzoom; 10-21-2018 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #31
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I have no issues people pointing out issues, personally I think Tesla overselling AutoPilot functions is one of the best examples of blatant PR stunts any company has pulled off, and loads of people seem to buy into it no questions asked.

The iPace has no doubt softer plastics etc, but given my previous cars were things like Integra Type R, 350Z, before my 335i you can tell how much I personally care about interior plastics etc .

I am sure however all BMW owners know about the importance of AUC and the non-existent link between soft touch plastics and how much you need pay to keep that warranty.......Having now had the X for 13 months and 15K and am very confident in saying I'll happily run it way past the 50K 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.

The seats still look like new after 15K, and amazingly when test with a sound meter the interior of the X is as quiet as the iPace despite what the motoring press have suggesting the iPace is better insulated/more refined!!

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1937/...92c851_z_d.jpg[/img]

But if you don't need the 6/7 seats and extra space of the X I would wait another 12 months and see just have the e-Tron/Merc EQB thingy turn out like. The Model 3 will be in the UK by than, and am sure Tesla will be updating the S/X at some point......More choice is always better for the consumer, and I do hope BMW comes up with something good, after all the 335i was the best combustion car I owned - Despite been the most unreliable, which again shows the very subjective nature we all have about 'quality' because based on reliability the 335i was worse than my old Peug 106, and I know which one I rather own!!
Cheers! I've been lucky with BMW, touch wood. Over 105k miles, my E90 320d was the most reliable car I have ever owned. Rear light under warranty, timing chain (before failure) under extended warranty and one suspension bush. Brakes lasted throughout and just routine servicing otherwise. Plus the extended warranty will was £40 per month - peanuts vs a new car. As you say, personal experiences vary.

Your seats look good - the one I test drove was much lower mileage and looked dreadful...you can just see the reading below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #32
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

bodtwo I know you are not a PHEV fan, but does the forthcoming X5 iperformance 45e not appeal at all? Apparently a 286bhp straight-six petrol, plus 50 mile battery range. That is starting to sound very nice to me. Whilst you would not have enough electric range for your day, the combustion miles should be a pleasure.

I'm finding this a particularly tough time to change a car - so many options and PHEV/BEV advances coming thick and fast. (Mainly an issue as I want this car to be a keeper. If it was going to be swapped again in 3 years, it would be an easier choice).

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #33
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
The thing that surprised me on 5th gear was the cost of public chargers, around 10p/mile, not much cheaper than a 335D plus the time it takes!!! Electric cars only really work when they are charged at home on a off peak rate.

I still can't understand why electric car manufactures cannot standardise on a number of batteries, as home appliances, and then you can swap them at a garage in the same time it would take to fill with fuel. The system cold be automated and hassle free if there was some joined up thinking!!!
Appreciate 0