F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I Miss Homelink
Studio RSR

09-05-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I Miss Homelink

I just bought a BMW without homelink. I didn't think much of it but my last 3 or 4 vehicles have had it. Now I realize how many remotes I have, home garage, home gate, lakehouse gate are the ones that was programmed in my last BMW.

Does anyone know of a decent solution aside from replacing my mirror? I have Googled "learning garage remote" but can't find anything that looks viable. I guess I could buy a generic remote and have all of the receivers learn it but I was thinking if I have a universal remote that runs my entertainment system why can't I find a garage remote that learns? Preferably I would like something that clips on the visor vs a keychain thing. I don't like anything but my car key on my car keychain.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Something like this?

https://www.gatehousesupplies.com/Pr...FQsRHwodM_4Org
      09-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had seen that and dismissed it because it said it only talks of learning dip switch remotes. I may give it a shot though because if it works then it is exactly what I was looking for (funny how that works). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

I had my dealership order a new mirror with home link built in. You can have it done by the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Yes, Homelink is great. When I was shopping for a 2014 Accord, would you believe that you couldn't get Homelink in any of the 4 cylinder cars, not even the EXL with NAV? You had to get a 6 cylinder car to get freakin Homelink! Showstopper for me, mostly because it seemed like Honda was sticking the 4 cylinder buyers in the ribs. In the Fusion, you had to get the package that contained the sunroof (with the requisite packages) to get Homelink.

Now then, back to your issue. There are remotes out there that will take the codes of many different remotes, so you can replace the many remotes with one. Do a google search. A better solution is to ask the dealer if they have an accessory you can have them install, that way it will be cleaner and the part is now under the vehicle's warranty (verify that). Lastly, call an interior accessory shop, like the ones that do leather upgrades for car interiors. Most of them can install either a mirror with Homelink or a remote that gets affixed to your headliner.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #6
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
What I'm looking for apparently doesn't exist which is shocking in a day when I have a remote control I can program from my computer which controls just about everything in my house. I know there is a little more security in my garage door opener than my TV but I never realized a built in homelink remote was that unique.
I have Googled, and Googled some more and about all I can find is cheap looking keychain looking devices and I really want something that is similar to your typical visor clip remote. Yes I can buy a homelink system that will have to be installed and then the part with buttons would need to be integrated into my interior, described above, I just don't want to go that route. I also realize I can order a BMW mirror with homelink but I'm just not there yet because those are pushing $1k when I was thinking there was something out there under $100. That would be the optimal solution though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking but in the meantime I'm getting used to the remote shuffle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid View Post
What I'm looking for apparently doesn't exist which is shocking in a day when I have a remote control I can program from my computer which controls just about everything in my house. I know there is a little more security in my garage door opener than my TV but I never realized a built in homelink remote was that unique.
I have Googled, and Googled some more and about all I can find is cheap looking keychain looking devices and I really want something that is similar to your typical visor clip remote. Yes I can buy a homelink system that will have to be installed and then the part with buttons would need to be integrated into my interior, described above, I just don't want to go that route. I also realize I can order a BMW mirror with homelink but I'm just not there yet because those are pushing $1k when I was thinking there was something out there under $100. That would be the optimal solution though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking but in the meantime I'm getting used to the remote shuffle.
To be honest I don't think BMW's homelink mirror is anything that unique. They probably order it from the same place every other company orders it, and rear view mirrors can only mount in so many ways. You can most likely order a generic one, wire it into a power source that comes on with the ignition (lighting would be the best, least scary route I'd assume), and have it work. You may not get the orange compass light or anything fancy, but if it has the buttons.. win.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/GENTEX-GENK40A...k+auto+dimming
      09-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Lots of folks getting the GM Holdens imported from down under would add it into the sun visors. I believe they units only need 12 vdc and have no other vehicle connections.

Here is an example, there are several types so research which would work best for you. 3 light vs 1 light in the triangle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C3A3-HOMELIN...72548e&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0