F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bmw Servicing (gold Mine)
GetBMWParts

02-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330 M Sport

Bmw Servicing (gold Mine)

I recently took my 2015 Bmw 335 xdrive with stock 18 inch rims with run flats. (LEASE)

I live in the NY/NJ area so the roads arent the best but im not riding off of freeways. I took my car in and I am suppose to recieve back today. I recieved a call from an Advisor saying I will need to get the tires change soon because they are worn. also my rims are bent and I also need an alignment. Non of which are free apperantly. Am I missing something ??? I thought atleast the tires and alignment would be free. She gave me an estimate of over $2200 bucks. Im super angry about this.

So I want to know any tips that can help me now or in the future of owning my car.

Is there anyway I can avoid this or get out of paying this total amount ??

If I got new tires and rims and alignment from local shop would my lease warranty be voided ??

im not sure what to do and need help

Thanks

Bimmer Boy
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
I recently took my 2015 Bmw 335 xdrive with stock 18 inch rims with run flats. (LEASE)

I live in the NY/NJ area so the roads arent the best but im not riding off of freeways. I took my car in and I am suppose to recieve back today. I recieved a call from an Advisor saying I will need to get the tires change soon because they are worn. also my rims are bent and I also need an alignment. Non of which are free apperantly. Am I missing something ??? I thought atleast the tires and alignment would be free. She gave me an estimate of over $2200 bucks. Im super angry about this.

So I want to know any tips that can help me now or in the future of owning my car.

If I got new tires and rims and alignment from local shop would my lease warranty be voided ??

Thanks

Bimmer Boy
I wasn't aware of anyone who includes tires in a lease. Tires shouldn't void a warranty if bought elsewhere. Only way to know if alignment will is to look on your paperwork. I could see them not wanting anyone else turning wrenches on a lease. But I don't lease so I cant tell you definitively
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:

Thanks

Bimmer Boy
Tires are not covered by the warranty at all, you can replace the tires at any shop they will need to be run flats if that's what your car came with. Unless you bought insurance for your wheels you are liable for any damage to the rims. If you replace them I'm sure it has to be OEM.
Here in LA. the streets are also a mess so I feel your pain. Good luck.
      02-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
I wasn't aware of anyone who includes tires in a lease. Tires shouldn't void a warranty if bought elsewhere. Only way to know if alignment will is to look on your paperwork. I could see them not wanting anyone else turning wrenches on a lease. But I don't lease so I cant tell you definitively

Thanks I appreciate that. my last bmw was financed so I did what I wanted just dont feel financing is the best idea. but dont wanna get off topic here
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Tires are not covered by the warranty at all, you can replace the tires at any shop they will need to be run flats if that's what your car came with. Unless you bought insurance for your wheels you are liable for any damage to the rims. If you replace them I'm sure it has to be OEM.
Here in LA. the streets are also a mess so I feel your pain. Good luck.
thanks for youre insight bud.

Could I get balance and alignment elsewhere aswell ? And im thinking about just buying my own tires and rims and fit them on. & put back oem when I have to return the car. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
drummerlauw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i. 2020 M340i

Just wondering how many miles on the tires and what kind? Bridgestone Potenzas?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
thanks for youre insight bud.

Could I get balance and alignment elsewhere aswell ? And im thinking about just buying my own tires and rims and fit them on. & put back oem when I have to return the car. Does that make sense?
im guessing they will charge you if you return bent oem rims though....might be cheaper to just buy same oem rims here in good condition
Appreciate 1
eluded3038.00
      02-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerlauw View Post
Just wondering how many miles on the tires and what kind? Bridgestone Potenzas?
17600 miles on it as of today.

It has continentals stock tires forget the exact name
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
im guessing they will charge you if you return bent oem rims though....might be cheaper to just buy same oem rims here in good condition
Yeah so heres my plan because I sitll haver about a year before I can turn it it.

I will take off these rims. Put on my own rimsand tires. ride that out till im about to turn it in and buy oems and put them on and return the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
drummerlauw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i. 2020 M340i

Or you can get used OEM tires with a little over minimum thread requirement. I heard lots of people do this on lease vehicles return...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #11
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerlauw View Post
Or you can get used OEM tires with a little over minimum thread requirement. I heard lots of people do this on lease vehicles return...
Sounds like a good idea for lease end. But what about now. Still stuck on what I should do. Not trying to spend $2200 right now on new tires rim straightening and alignment
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Look into reconditioned OEM wheels, they come off wrecks. They usually run around $150 each, as opposed to new at $400 each. Get the tires from tirerack.com, they should be around $200 each. Also look into junk yards, you could find wheels with tires on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Look into reconditioned OEM wheels, they come off wrecks. They usually run around $150 each, as opposed to new at $400 each. Get the tires from tirerack.com, they should be around $200 each. Also look into junk yards, you could find wheels with tires on them.
lots of single wheels on eBay
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

First thing I'd do is take it to a good independent tire shop and get a 2nd opinion.

You can get the tires anywhere you want, but have to be similar to what the car came with (run-flat in your case)...unless you want to swap again before lease turn-in. If you have a bent wheel, look for a reconditioned replacement (like Billfitz said). Last time I got tires, the couple places I checked (like Discount Tire) would not do the alignment, they said I should have BMW do it.

Do you have a vibration or something? Why did you take it in? Also, did they tell you the tread depth? If it's less than 3/32", then you'll need to replace.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:23 AM   #15
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
First thing I'd do is take it to a good independent tire shop and get a 2nd opinion.

You can get the tires anywhere you want, but have to be similar to what the car came with (run-flat in your case)...unless you want to swap again before lease turn-in. If you have a bent wheel, look for a reconditioned replacement (like Billfitz said). Last time I got tires, the couple places I checked (like Discount Tire) would not do the alignment, they said I should have BMW do it.

Do you have a vibration or something? Why did you take it in? Also, did they tell you the tread depth? If it's less than 3/32", then you'll need to replace.
If it's below 4/32" anywhere on the tire BMW will not accept as lease return.
Appreciate 1
eluded3038.00
      02-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Only 17K miles and you're in need of replacement?!?

Edit: Next time get the tire warranty (my biggest regret this time around) I've had 3 replacements and 3 patches thanks to Chicago road conditions - I would advise that for anyone who lives in a major, cold-weather city.

Also, you can definitely get the tire replaced for $100-150 less at an independent shop and it won't void your warranty. Only issue is that the shop may not have run-flats that'll fit your car readily in stock and it could take a day or two to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Take it to a good independent alignment shop. During routine service, a dealer here in NJ told me that my rims were bent and quoted be ~$2k to replace all four rims. Instead, I went to an alignment shop to get the bent rims repaired and he said there was nothing wrong whatsoever with any of my rims! I just ended up getting my tires rotated and was out in half an hour with a $30 bill. Stealerships are called stealerships for a reason!

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Sounds gooos Billfitz, Ill definitely look into that. Not going to get them right now. because im sure this will happen again lol. Going to just put my own tires and wheels for now.

Thanks alot.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

No vibration just service due for the first time. OEM rims must be pretty cheap for this to happen so easily
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenzo View Post
Only 17K miles and you're in need of replacement?!?

Edit: Next time get the tire warranty (my biggest regret this time around) I've had 3 replacements and 3 patches thanks to Chicago road conditions - I would advise that for anyone who lives in a major, cold-weather city.

Also, you can definitely get the tire replaced for $100-150 less at an independent shop and it won't void your warranty. Only issue is that the shop may not have run-flats that'll fit your car readily in stock and it could take a day or two to arrive.
Appreciate the insight Benzo.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #21
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Take it to a good independent alignment shop. During routine service, a dealer here in NJ told me that my rims were bent and quoted be ~$2k to replace all four rims. Instead, I went to an alignment shop to get the bent rims repaired and he said there was nothing wrong whatsoever with any of my rims! I just ended up getting my tires rotated and was out in half an hour with a $30 bill. Stealerships are called stealerships for a reason!
Youre totally right. I see that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Youre totally right. I see that.
I also suggest to find an independent shop which has RoadForce balancing machine. Getting a second opinion as suggested by others is a very good first step.
Appreciate 0