F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Harman Kardon sound issues
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
bailey85
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 435D Msport Coupe

Harman Kardon sound issues

Hi All,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle!

I have a 2016 F32 435D M sport coupe with the Harman Kardon system in it which is giving me some issues.

The system sounds fine at first however during a long drive with the system at a sound level around mid way the drivers side (RHS, Im from the UK) door speaker begins to sound really distorted. With the system turned up high, the problem is less obvious, I assume that this is because its being drowned out by the other speakers.

Ive had the car back to BMW 3 times to sort, they have had it a total of 5 days, they have replaced the door speaker and finally the amp to no avail. Ive now raised this as a dispute because its costing me a fortune in time off work to rectify, I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues?

Many thanks,

Guy
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey85 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle!

I have a 2016 F32 435D M sport coupe with the Harman Kardon system in it which is giving me some issues.

The system sounds fine at first however during a long drive with the system at a sound level around mid way the drivers side (RHS, Im from the UK) door speaker begins to sound really distorted. With the system turned up high, the problem is less obvious, I assume that this is because its being drowned out by the other speakers.

Ive had the car back to BMW 3 times to sort, they have had it a total of 5 days, they have replaced the door speaker and finally the amp to no avail. Ive now raised this as a dispute because its costing me a fortune in time off work to rectify, I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues?

Many thanks,

Guy
Turn off L7

Do you still have issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Orion Silver

Have you modified the EQ settings? If so, can you give us the settings? There are so many experts on this site that can help you with improving the sound of your HK system.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
DonVito
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport

Like tympj said, try adjusting the EQ. If they've already replaced the speaker and the amp, doesn't sound like a hardware issue. I was amazed by how different the system sounds with some adjustments to the EQ.

Pretty well-known post for HK EQ settings:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=954719
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 01:54 AM   #5
bailey85
Registered
Rep

Thanks for all of the input folks, its much appreciated.

I'll take a look tonight after work and post my findings.

One quick question though, if the settings were out wouldn't that give a fault immediately? My system appears to only mess up after a lengthy run as if to suggest something is getting hot and not working correctly?

Many thanks

Guy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Not sure if your 435 suffers the same problem as the one here, as the center channel is 'time delayed' incorrectly and so there are sound problems / distorition. Since this is easy and free to try, try unhooking the center channel and listen.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
bailey85
Registered
Rep

Hi all,

So this is how my system was already set up (I hope the pictures have worked).

Ive altered it now to what was suggested in DonVitos post, and will give it an extensive test on the weekend and see if it plays up. If and when it does, Ill turn off the L7 as IK6speed has suggested.

Many thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
bailey85
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not sure if your 435 suffers the same problem as the one here, as the center channel is 'time delayed' incorrectly and so there are sound problems / distorition. Since this is easy and free to try, try unhooking the center channel and listen.
Thanks for the help, excuse me for asking but when you say unhooking the centre channel, what does that mean in layman terms?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Quote:
Thanks for the help, excuse me for asking but when you say unhooking the centre channel, what does that mean in layman terms?
I am not sure if the UK spec HK equipped cars have them - I think they do but it will be a mid and tweeter speaker in the centre of the dashboard up by the windscreen of course

HTH
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
There are two screws at the top/center of your dash. Tight space, yet unscrew the cover, unscrew the tweeter and midrange and unhook them electrically. The reinstall speakers (not hooked up) and cover.

Free to try, give it a listen as you can always re-hook up the speakers. IMHO the center channel speaker is a time/phase disaster and not properly 'tuned' to the driver position.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
There are two screws at the top/center of your dash. Tight space, yet unscrew the cover, unscrew the tweeter and midrange and unhook them electrically. The reinstall speakers (not hooked up) and cover.

Free to try, give it a listen as you can always re-hook up the speakers. IMHO the center channel speaker is a time/phase disaster and not properly 'tuned' to the driver position.
There is a simpler way to unhook the center channel speakers: 1.) Take off the plastic trim on the passenger side of the car. 2.) locate white connector, connecting twisted purple/black + black/white wire coming from the HK AMP to the center channel speakers (both mid + tweeter) and disconnect it.
Appreciate 2