F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed!
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #23
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Philipangoo's Avatar
30
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Roxxor, how much total did your project come out to be ?
__________________
13 335i Msport
89 E30 325is 5spd
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #24
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
Roxxor, how much total did your project come out to be ?
In all it came out to around $750, I got a good deal on the camera and trunk handle but ended up paying nearly new price for the control unit, which is the most expensive part, unless you luck into a deal for one on a certain auction site. Ordering the cable set from overseas was somewhat pricey as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #25
iX3
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: X3, 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Hi roxxor,

Great post. I'm looking to OEM retrofit a rear camera/PDC on my X3 (F25). The components seem straight forward except for the wiring harness/schematic. I had a few questions for you.

1) Where did you get the install manual?
2) Is the retrofit cable (the wiring harness), the only cable that is needed?
2) How did you figure out which retrofit cable (61122154696) to order?
3) You mentioned the longer HSD cable (part #61129241791), but this looks like it's for the X5. How did you know this would work?

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...129241791.html

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #26
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 View Post
Hi roxxor,

Great post. I'm looking to OEM retrofit a rear camera/PDC on my X3 (F25). The components seem straight forward except for the wiring harness/schematic. I had a few questions for you.

1) Where did you get the install manual?
2) Is the retrofit cable (the wiring harness), the only cable that is needed?
2) How did you figure out which retrofit cable (61122154696) to order?
3) You mentioned the longer HSD cable (part #61129241791), but this looks like it's for the X5. How did you know this would work?

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...129241791.html

Thank you in advance.
Hello iX3,

1. The only EBA manual I could find for the camera was for the F10 5-series, linked here. This gave me the general details about connecting the wires to the back of the headunit, but really I was able to use this thread to get the rest of the details for where to connect the wiring. As the the PDC retrofit, I did not have a manual for the rear, I used the BMW wiring diagrams to do that one on my own. For the front PDC, someone had already done a pretty decent DIY on the forums here which I used as a reference.

Both #2's. The part number for the retrofit cable set 61122154696 includes the harness that goes from the camera module to the headunit as well as the HSD cable that goes from the camera to the camera module. I was able to ascertain which part # to order by reading a post on the internet about a kit that was being offered by EleBest, and figuring out the part number from there. However, it turned out to be the cable kit for the F10 5-series.

3. The longer cable "might" be needed for you, however it may not be that specific part number that I listed. I mentioned that part number because the retrofit cable set I ordered turned out to be for the 5 series. It still works perfectly, however I had to figure out how to mount the camera module in the trunk rather than under the driver's seat like it should have been. That cable would allow someone to mount it in the correct location with the longer cable to run to the camera in the trunk. From the X3 schematics I have seen, it looks like the camera module is normally mounted somewhere in the rear cargo area. However, the camera cable in the retrofit set I ordered might not be long enough to travel up through the trunk door and down to where the module mounts at. The best bet if you order it would be to wait to see if it was long enough before ordered the extra camera cable. If you went with the camera cable part # I mentioned, it would work, but you would end up with a significant amount of extra cable left that you would have to stash somewhere.

If you have any other questions or want me to help with identifying X3 specific part #'s or diagrams, feel free to send me a PM!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #27
iX3
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: X3, 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks

Roxxor,

Thank you for the clarification and offer to help. I'm going through the same exercise by cross referencing what people have posted with what I need. Your post has helped tremendously.

BTW, were you able to connect all the components and test out before installing permanently? I was wondering if it is possible to test out and make sure everything is working before starting all the cabling and mounting work?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #28
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 View Post
Roxxor,

Thank you for the clarification and offer to help. I'm going through the same exercise by cross referencing what people have posted with what I need. Your post has helped tremendously.

BTW, were you able to connect all the components and test out before installing permanently? I was wondering if it is possible to test out and make sure everything is working before starting all the cabling and mounting work?
You would have to code the car and make the connections for everything in order to test it out, which you could do before running all the wiring. You would just still need to connect everything first, then unhook it to run the wiring and all. With the PDC, you could connect the wiring and make sure it all works before you drilled the holes in the bumper.

There are 2 issues I can think of that might present an obstacle with testing before running the wiring. First, since you have to code everything in order to test it, once you test it and unhook everything to run it, if you have to start the car again before reconnecting everything, you would possibly get an error message since the car will think something is wrong with the PDC/Camera. Second, for making the connections with the small pins, it would be challenging to remove those from the connectors without risking damaging the connector or the pin once they have been installed. This would be for all 12 of the PDC sensor wires(2 ground, 2 power, 8 sensors) to the REM, the camera power wire to the rear fuse box, and the camera harness wires to the back of the iDrive headunit. It would be necessary to remove them, especially for the PDC wires, since the other end of the harnesses have the socket connectors that attach to the sensors, and it would be near impossible to route that end of the harnesses through to the outside of the car without major difficulties.

Personally, I went in guns blazing and figured out the coding/making it all work once everything was done, but that's just me
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #29
BMW_F30
Enlisted Member
24
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: F30 2013
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Rather than trying to purchase parts from US parts sources, ebay and Europe sources, I recommend you contact Patryk from http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/ and let him make this easy for you.

He will provide you with all OEM parts, a much needed manual, and all harnesses of the correct length for your car.

The install is not difficult at all. The only complex parts of the install relate to removal of components from the car. The manual covers this.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #30
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
Rather than trying to purchase parts from US parts sources, ebay and Europe sources, I recommend you contact Patryk from http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/ and let him make this easy for you.

He will provide you with all OEM parts, a much needed manual, and all harnesses of the correct length for your car.

The install is not difficult at all. The only complex parts of the install relate to removal of components from the car. The manual covers this.
While that is true, the point of DIY info/parts lists is for people who want to do it themselves while saving a little money, especially if you are able to code it yourself or want to learn how.

I mean no disrespect to the vendors, as I know they provide great services, but for me to order and install front/rear PDC and rear camera myself cost around $1600 vs the $3300 to order the kits with fees and all, more if you have a car with sensors other than black. That is a big difference price-wise, and had I not been able to do it myself, I probably wouldn't have done it at all just because of that cost factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #31
F30EDR
Private
2
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: Black Sapphire F30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
While that is true, the point of DIY info/parts lists is for people who want to do it themselves while saving a little money, especially if you are able to code it yourself or want to learn how.

I mean no disrespect to the vendors, as I know they provide great services, but for me to order and install front/rear PDC and rear camera myself cost around $1600 vs the $3300 to order the kits with fees and all, more if you have a car with sensors other than black. That is a big difference price-wise, and had I not been able to do it myself, I probably wouldn't have done it at all just because of that cost factor.
+1. This is exactly how my experienced with them vendors. If you have money to burn, then that's the way to go. If you think you can do it yourself and save at least 50% cost wise, DIY. But you better prepare yourself for the unknowns -which this board should be able to cover most if the times. Like what this great write-up did.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #32
iX3
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: X3, 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
Rather than trying to purchase parts from US parts sources, ebay and Europe sources, I recommend you contact Patryk from http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/ and let him make this easy for you.

He will provide you with all OEM parts, a much needed manual, and all harnesses of the correct length for your car.

The install is not difficult at all. The only complex parts of the install relate to removal of components from the car. The manual covers this.
I personally think half the fun is in researching the project. I investigated adding a rear camera when I first got my car in 2011 and there wasn't much information back then since I was interested in an OEM retrofit. I came across your posts while researching some coding info and started me thinking again.

At least I know now that an OEM retrofit is possible. I might pick up the BimmerTech retrofit but atm I'm still just researching away. Thanks to your posts (BMW_F30 and roxxor). I've already learned a lot working to put this together.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #33
iX3
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: X3, 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
Rather than trying to purchase parts from US parts sources, ebay and Europe sources, I recommend you contact Patryk from http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/ and let him make this easy for you.

He will provide you with all OEM parts, a much needed manual, and all harnesses of the correct length for your car.

The install is not difficult at all. The only complex parts of the install relate to removal of components from the car. The manual covers this.
Here's a recent experience with Bimmer-tech. I'm glad Patryk took care of it, but it doesn't always go smooth with a vendor.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015961
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #34
Bobfish
Captain
United Kingdom
157
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: M135i AT LCI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I bought a combox kit from them about 18 months ago, the lack of instructions in the kit was annoying but the service was faster than that guy received.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
F30EDR
Private
2
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: Black Sapphire F30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

I had the same experience with same vendor. No installation instructions and had to ask one several times myself. And at that time, they don't seem to know their product well. I was given 2 instructions that didn't work because it was physically impossible. They're in luck they're not in the states or I would have asked for a full refund.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #36
BIMMERALWAYS
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2014 335xi M sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westchester NY

iTrader: (0)

Need input on rear camera install / retrofit

So Roxxor, I've been following your posts on the rear camera retrofit after having done the rear pdc, and I'm at a bit of a roadblock. I'm having some differences between what I'm seeing with my particular car and your DIY..... Since I'm absolutely new here on the forum, I can't pm, so could you reach out so I can give some details and see if you can help me out? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #37
BIMMERALWAYS
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2014 335xi M sport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westchester NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
Would this be possible with a car without rear pdc as well? My brother just lease a 320 however it doesn't have a camera or pdc. I would like to retrofit either one of these without causing too much of a mess since it's a lease.
The rear PDC is very easy, the instructions were already posted and were excellent. I'll post the parts list which is avail here in the USA, and if you're in the NYC area, I have the oem BMW tool to punch perfect holes in the bumper to accommodate the sensors, which I'd be happy to help you out with.....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #38
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
Would this be possible with a car without rear pdc as well? My brother just lease a 320 however it doesn't have a camera or pdc. I would like to retrofit either one of these without causing too much of a mess since it's a lease.
Unfortunately, without the rear PDC, you cannot retrofit the OEM rear camera. You will need to either retrofit both, or go with an aftermarket camera product.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #39
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
338
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

NBT HEADUNIT OWNERS: It has been brought to my attention that there are some slight differences with the NBT model cars. If you have the Touch iDrive controller(where you can draw on the top of it), the CAN wires will NOT be located at the controller. You will need to follow the OP's instructions for location the communication(CAN) wires under the driver's seat.

Additionally, the PIN #'s on the back of the head unit may not work the same. The combinations are:

Red - Pin #18, Shield - Pin #27, and White - Pin #28 (worked for my 2013 non-NBT)
OR
Red - Pin #21, Shield - Pin #23, and White - Pin #24 (worked for a X3 install, should work for other vehicles if the one above does not work)

As always, please feel free to ask/PM any questions!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #40
jpcampa
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asturias

iTrader: (0)

Hello, I bought used camera width hsd cable and also an used module but without cable or harness...
Can anybody share a pinout of this module... for example, from pin 1 in the module to ground, pin 2 in the module to pin x in the head unit....

I was trying to buy the oem cable but here in spain no way...


Thanks

JP
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #41
Sonnguyen
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 528i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Well done, TFS!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #42
335xdrive
New Member
20
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: F30 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcampa View Post
Hello, I bought used camera width hsd cable and also an used module but without cable or harness...
Can anybody share a pinout of this module... for example, from pin 1 in the module to ground, pin 2 in the module to pin x in the head unit....

I was trying to buy the oem cable but here in spain no way...


Thanks

JP
I made the following note when I installed my camera; sorry for the crappy quality. The camera end is looking into the connector. (The two circles at the top of the camera connector represent small holes in the cable connector, not pins.) The TRSVC end is looking out of the connector. You must hook up the shield from camera to ground as well. (All grounds run through the TRSVC case and then to chassis ground.)

I ended up mounting the TRSVC next to the REM. I found some high-quality surplus shielded military 24-gauge wiring and ran the the CAN and FBAS wiring from the REM compartment to the passenger cmpt. The CAN wires are easily found under the sill cover next to the driver's seat (LHD). Had an old PC that I scavenged for FBAS, power and CAN connectors.

For the TRSVC 10-pin connector, Pin 1 is Ground. Pin 2 is FBAS+ Pin 3 is FBAS- Pin 4 is FBAS Shield. Pin 5 is CAN High. Pin 6 is CAN Low. Pin 7 is +12v. (Pins 8,9,10 not used)

At the head unit, there are two choices depending on whether Basic or High. In connector A-42 (the big one) on the Head Unit: High version is: Pin 21 is FBAS+ Pin 24 is FBAS- Pin 23 is shield. Basic Head Unit *I think* it's 18 FBAS+, 27 FBAS- and 28 FBAS Shield. You can do what i did and run pigtails from both sets to the driver's side footwell area. Then you can put the IP back together and figure out which is the correct set, troubleshoot without tearing the IP apart again, etc.


Last edited by 335xdrive; 10-27-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #43
jpcampa
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asturias

iTrader: (0)

Thank you very much! you are the boss...!!!

JP


Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xdrive View Post
I made the following note when I installed my camera; sorry for the crappy quality. The camera end is looking into the connector. (The two circles at the top of the camera connector represent small holes in the cable connector, not pins.) The TRSVC end is looking out of the connector. You must hook up the shield from camera to ground as well. (All grounds run through the TRSVC case and then to chassis ground.)

I ended up mounting the TRSVC next to the REM. I found some high-quality surplus shielded military 24-gauge wiring and ran the the CAN and FBAS wiring from the REM compartment to the passenger cmpt. The CAN wires are easily found under the sill cover next to the driver's seat (LHD). Had an old PC that I scavenged for FBAS, power and CAN connectors.

For the TRSVC 10-pin connector, Pin 1 is Ground. Pin 2 is FBAS+ Pin 3 is FBAS- Pin 4 is FBAS Shield. Pin 5 is CAN High. Pin 6 is CAN Low. Pin 7 is +12v. (Pins 8,9,10 not used)

At the head unit, there are two choices depending on whether Basic or High. In connector A-42 (the big one) on the Head Unit: High version is: Pin 21 is FBAS+ Pin 24 is FBAS- Pin 23 is shield. Basic Head Unit *I think* it's 18 FBAS+, 27 FBAS- and 28 FBAS Shield. You can do what i did and run pigtails from both sets to the driver's side footwell area. Then you can put the IP back together and figure out which is the correct set, troubleshoot without tearing the IP apart again, etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #44
Akeen
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Msk, RU

iTrader: (0)

Question

Hi, roxxor!
Could you help me with list of all cables and partnumbers I need to add rear camera?
I'm a little confused reading the post.
Is any chance to obtain cables for 328i for installing camera module in the right place? Thank you! (sorry can't send pm now, dunno why)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST