F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > My impression of the android headunit vs mmi
Extreme Powerhouse

03-19-2024, 08:01 AM   #1
kyon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

My impression of the android headunit vs mmi

Hey all,

Been a long time lurker here, and recently been tweaking some bits on my 2014 3 series.

One of the things I wanted was Android Auto but did not want to have to buy a new car so went down the road of the headunit vs mmi box

I initially chose the android unit as it seemed to be the better bang for buck, get a bigger screen while still having android auto and the original idrive.

So it came, I fitted it and all seemed fine. That was until a couple days later that the sound just kept dropping off and the iDrive controls stopped working and it looked like the android screen was somehow freezing iDrive as I had a blank screen on iDrive or it was frozen.

I sent that unit back and decided on refitting my OEM smaller screen (6.5inch) and an MMI box (Roadtrip).

It's been a couple days but everything is snappy, working as intended and no freezing or issues as of yet.

I'm sure some people have no issues at all with the android units, but I did not use it really for the android side and only wanted AA. Coupled with it killing my iDrive I did not want to take chances.

Next step, figure out what 8.8inch OEM screen I can fit to get the ideal set up.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence on what to choose.
Appreciate 0