F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help I suck at e85 mhd ots st2+
proTUNING Freaks

05-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i MHD ST2+

Unhappy Help I suck at e85 mhd ots st2+

Hey everybody I wanted to get your opinion on my log I threw a bunch of timing trying mhd st2+ e20 today I normally run the st2+ 91 I am a complete e85 noob but I did everything right I think at least adding 20% e85 ~2.5 gal to the rest 91 I was suprised when my timing corrections were all over the place any help is really appreciated attaching 3 logs below could it maybe be bad gas lacking octane or weak e85. Thanks any answer helps
http://https://datazap.me/u/colelind...rk=39-33-32-16
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #2
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

https://datazap.me/u/colelindsay/log...rk=39-33-32-16
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:05 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

If you are going to mix e85 you need to do it systematically.

Buy a good test kit, test both E85 and pump gas for ethanol content. Once you know exactly % target a 25% mix in the tank and log. If timing is bad and no HPFP issues, increase a few %. If HPFP crashes, decrease a few %.

E85 from the pump can basically be 63-90% range, so measuring is important. Use this kit, don't buy a cheap one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read one of my posts in the several E85 threads for more details.

Also read my thread on datalogging, at a glance you appear to be missing parameters: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks man appreciate the input just bought the test kit U recommended Cars mods are BMS CP BMS IC VRSF downpipe NGK SIL plugs new index 12 inj, and also would my AFR be the main parameter to look out for with my fuel pump if I were to try running a higher blend. And this question may be dumb but for the time being until my test kit comes can I run my 91 tune and be ok bc it targets less aggressive timing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:07 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colef30 View Post
Thanks man appreciate the input just bought the test kit U recommended Cars mods are BMS CP BMS IC VRSF downpipe NGK SIL plugs new index 12 inj, and also would my AFR be the main parameter to look out for with my fuel pump if I were to try running a higher blend. And this question may be dumb but for the time being until my test kit comes can I run my 91 tune and be ok bc it targets less aggressive timing.
No, you look at HPFP pressure vs target. Read my thread.

Yes you can run 91 map with straight 91 or a few gallons of E85.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
No, you look at HPFP pressure vs target. Read my thread.

Yes you can run 91 map with straight 91 or a few gallons of E85.
Alright so I tested my e85 came out to about 85% which is pretty perfect I added an extra half gallon today to try to suppress some of the timing changes. Seems to be still pulling the timing wondering if maybe I have a hardware issue causing this. I think atm I’m going to log a bit more then flash back to 91 attaching new logs below if any1 wants to take a peak. Thank u btw!!

https://datazap.me/u/colelindsay/log...0&data=4-17-19
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
GAB0
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport

Quote:

Alright so I tested my e85 came out to about 85% which is pretty perfect I added an extra half gallon today to try to suppress some of the timing changes. Seems to be still pulling the timing wondering if maybe I have a hardware issue causing this. I think atm I’m going to log a bit more then flash back to 91 attaching new logs below if any1 wants to take a peak. Thank u btw!!

You didn't include timing in the logs so there's no way to see if adding additional E85 helped or not. The good news is the HPFP is handling it just fine.

On your first tank of "E20" was the fuel tank close to empty? How many gallons of 91 and how many gallons of E85 did you mix? In any case it seems your HPFP can still handle a bit more E85 content.

The jeremyman can provide further feedback since he's been on the E85 map for a while now and I have yet to do so.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

You need to test your pump gas as well, or just assume its 10% ethanol to be safe.

The other main question is how many miles are on your spark plugs, and what plugs they are and their gap.

For context i run 30% ethanol on the MHD stage 2+ E20 map. Its very close to the HPFP limit but its the only way i can get good timing with crappy California 91 octane as my pump gas base.

As noted in the post quoted below, mixing can be tricky on the first few fillups, especially if you have already started to mix in some ethanol. If you have a tank with some ethanol but an unknown %, my suggestion is to get a 30% mix with what you are adding in without trying to account for what is currently in the tank. (Note this is different than what most apps do as they ask for current e% in tank). If you tank is empty enough this will get you close enough to 30%. Then log and check HPFP pressure and timing, and adjust % up or down as needed.

I attached my table below. As an example lets say you run down to just below a 1/4 tank on your gauge (make sure you go below so you dont "run out of room" while filling). You would add 8.625 gallons of 91 and 3.225 gallons of E85. Add the E85 first then the 91 assuming they are from the same station and you are just switching nozzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0 View Post
You didn't include timing in the logs so there's no way to see if adding additional E85 helped or not. The good news is the HPFP is handling it just fine.

On your first tank of "E20" was the fuel tank close to empty? How many gallons of 91 and how many gallons of E85 did you mix? In any case it seems your HPFP can still handle a bit more E85 content.

The jeremyman can provide further feedback since he's been on the E85 map for a while now and I have yet to do so.
Timing is in the logs, you just need to click those parameters to show them on the graph. The timing isnt great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

My first tank was ~2.4 gal e85 and the rest 91 e85 added first tank was almost completely dry when filled up since it was my first time. I just reset my adaptations and will post another log ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My first tank was ~2.4 gal e85 and the rest 91 e85 added first tank was almost completely dry when filled up since it was my first time. I just reset my adaptations and will post another log ASAP.
2.4 gallons to an otherwise full tank is likely not nearly enough. Read my post above. You will likely need ~4 gallons E85 to an otherwise full tank of pump gas. That 1.6 gallons makes a huge difference in octane.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You need to test your pump gas as well, or just assume its 10% ethanol to be safe.

The other main question is how many miles are on your spark plugs, and what plugs they are and their gap.

For context i run 30% ethanol on the MHD stage 2+ E20 map. Its very close to the HPFP limit but its the only way i can get good timing with crappy California 91 octane as my pump gas base.

As noted in the post quoted below, mixing can be tricky on the first few fillups, especially if you have already started to mix in some ethanol. If you have a tank with some ethanol but an unknown %, my suggestion is to get a 30% mix with what you are adding in without trying to account for what is currently in the tank. (Note this is different than what most apps do as they ask for current e% in tank). If you tank is empty enough this will get you close enough to 30%. Then log and check HPFP pressure and timing, and adjust % up or down as needed.

I attached my table below. As an example lets say you run down to just below a 1/4 tank on your gauge (make sure you go below so you dont "run out of room" while filling). You would add 8.625 gallons of 91 and 3.225 gallons of E85. Add the E85 first then the 91 assuming they are from the same station and you are just switching nozzles.

Timing is in the logs, you just need to click those parameters to show them on the graph. The timing isnt great.
Spark plugs have less then 10k ngk SIL on them atm I will for sure check and adjust the gap tho .022 is recommended if I’m correct. I’m also in Cali and the gas here is absolute garbage. Thanks for the input hopefully we will get this solved
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
GAB0
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport

Quote:
Went back and took a look. In some cases the car is pulling 5* of timing. In any case we've stablish the OP simply didn't add enough E85. I would revert to 91 Oct ACN map bring it down to half a tank and use your table to fuel up with E85.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0 View Post
Went back and took a look. In some cases the car is pulling 5* of timing. In any case we've stablish the OP simply didn't add enough E85. I would revert to 91 Oct ACN map bring it down to half a tank and use your table to fuel up with E85.
Thanks for ur help I’ve been running the 91 tune with exception of the logs so hopefully I didn’t fuck anything up and timing disappeared besides the few e20 logs so def an a lack of octane thank u guys for ur help.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Spark plugs have less then 10k ngk SIL on them atm I will for sure check and adjust the gap tho .022 is recommended if I’m correct. I’m also in Cali and the gas here is absolute garbage. Thanks for the input hopefully we will get this solved
FWIW i run stock plugs at stock gap on this map. The NGKs and small gap may not be needed (and usually arent for most people), but at the same time, I'm not necessarily saying you should remove them and go back to stock. Your issue is likely fuel/octane.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #15
Colef30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
FWIW i run stock plugs at stock gap on this map. The NGKs and small gap may not be needed (and usually arent for most people), but at the same time, I'm not necessarily saying you should remove them and go back to stock. Your issue is likely fuel/octane.
It most likely is as the 91 map is running fine with 0 timing corrections atm which leads me to believe it’s most likely a lack of octane with the more advanced timing on the e20 map.
Appreciate 0