F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > (Solved) MPPSK strange behavior: Engine sound while off & press start-up twice
Studio RSR

08-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #1
Neneonline
Rep
Drives: F33 440i

(Solved) MPPSK strange behavior: Engine sound while off & press start-up twice

Hi Bimmers,

Just had my 440i upgraded with the MPPSK and besides the goodies that have been extensively documented in the MPPSK thread, I am noticing some weird behavior that I haven't been able to find anywhere in this forum. I kindly ask for your feedback guys.

The first thing out of the ordinary is that when I try to turn-on the engine after opening the car (don't have CA) I need to press twice the "Start-Up" button. The first press, even with my feet firmly pressing the brake, only turns on the cluster, and then I need to do it a second time. Is anyone experiencing the same behavior?

The second thing that bugs me is that when I unlock the car, before switching it on (the engine or just the cluster) there is an intermittent noise coming from the engine. Its like two very short and almost simultaneous clicks (one coming more or less around the turbo, and the other one from bellow the air intake) that repeat every 5 seconds. I will try to record a video later and post it. **EDIT: Video below** Is anyone experiencing the same behavior?

Both things are really disconcerting me. I brought the car back to the dealer and they said they completely reprogrammed the car... but it is doing the same things again.

I thank you for your support.

Víctor

UPDATE - TLDR

The failure seems to be solved. ECU replaced under warranty. So far so good. In depth status update in what I hope is the final post https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25

Last edited by Neneonline; 10-11-2018 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Update status and mark as resolved
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If two presses are still required to start the car, why did the dealer return the car to you instead of continuing diagnostic efforts?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Neneonline
Rep

They say it's normal. That's why I am asking here, to see if other ones with MPPSK experience the same behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Not normal at all. I'd have them prove it to you that it's normal on another MPPSK equipped vehicle in their lot.
      08-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Neneonline
Rep

DrifterX Thanks man!

What about the noises from the engine. Did you have a chance to listen to my video (sorry, very bad quality)?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Sorry - I just heard the video now (I'm at work) hence I edited my last post.

When I unlock my car after it's been parked for a while I hear some clicking under the hood when unlocking the car but it only happens once.
      08-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Neneonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Sorry - I just heard the video now (I'm at work) hence I edited my last post.

When I unlock my car after it's been parked for a while I hear some clicking under the hood when unlocking the car but it only happens once.
Yes, that is what I am planning to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have agreed with my service support representative to bring the car back next week and inspect it with a mechanic in person.

I am afraid though that MPPSK is not a very popular option here, so that is why I am reaching out here to get unbiased experience from other B58 MPPSK owners.

Aside from this the care drives gorgeously and sounds overwhelming (IMHO). But want to address these symptoms straight away in case they indicate something else.

I would appreciate anyone else that can also how their car behaves.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Here you go

From "off"

I turned it off after the above, locked then unlocked hence the pre-lit dash
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Neneonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Here you go

From "off"

I turned it off after the above, locked then unlocked hence the pre-lit dash
Wow! Thanks a lot man!!

Those videos are super helpful to make a point with my dealer.

I would be extremely grateful if next time you unlock your car you could check if you hear a sound similar to mine. (You need to be in a quiet place or listen very close)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Neneonline A few questions:
- Do you still hear clicking after shutting the car off (before locking it)?
- Can you start the engine with one press if the engine was previously running (and you didn't lock the car)?
- Do you hear the clicking or do you need to press the start button twice if you lock the car for less than a minute and try starting it back up? Or do you see this issue only when the car has gone into full sleep mode which takes more than 10 minutes for the electronics to enter?

I'd answer the above questions and discuss with the shop foreman because it may help them diagnose the issue. Not sure if your service advisor is giving you the runaround... My first guess if I heard a clicking sounds like that would tell me there's a problematic solenoid/relay somewhere.
      08-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
Neneonline
Rep

Really interesting questions DrifterX

I will be testing what you suggest tomorrow morning and will report back (and also to the dealer).

Your intuition is mostly right as when I switch of the car I don't need to push start twice. But I can't recall exactly in which scenarios so I will conduct the testing to be thorough.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by Neneonline; 08-24-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Sounds like the one near the intake is the wastegate and the one near the tanks is the throttle body, no idea why it's doing it though, mine certainly doesn't.
      08-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Your car has issues. I would bet that you are alone with this issue.

I can set up the camera and unlock it for you in the morning. Hell, I'll open the bonnet and leave the camera in there for a while.

It certainly whizzes and whurrs whilst it primes the fuel pump etc before you get in but not that sort of noise
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
Neneonline
Rep

Thanks a lot guys!

It has been looking like a malfunction in my car all along but it's difficult to make a case without anything to compare with. The info you guys are giving me is super valuable to make the case.

Even to cue the mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #15
CroztheBoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive MPPSK

I just recently had the MPPSK installed on my car and I do not hear a repetitive click at all.

I will notice a click from under the car (sounds like the exhaust closing) if I turn accessory power on and do not start engine, but nothing like what you're experiencing.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Most clicking sounds after the power is on (not the engine) occur because the various servos and actuators go through a quick diagnostic cycle. These sounds are normal. But some sounds are not normal. Typical symptoms include as if an actuator is stuck in a loop of sorts. On my previous 2013 BMW 335i valvetronic motor was making a loud clicking sound as soon as the electric power was on. It took several trips to the dealer to find the root cause.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #17
Neneonline
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Most clicking sounds after the power is on (not the engine) occur because the various servos and actuators go through a quick diagnostic cycle. These sounds are normal. But some sounds are not normal. Typical symptoms include as if an actuator is stuck in a loop of sorts. On my previous 2013 BMW 335i valvetronic motor was making a loud clicking sound as soon as the electric power was on. It took several trips to the dealer to find the root cause.
What you say about servos and actuators going through a diagnostic cycle (I would say, even calibration cycle) makes a lot of sense. My novice guess here is that some of those servos and actuators are not being sensed to act properly and the DME repeats the cycle multiple times to try and make it work.

Probably, the fact that the engine doesn't start the first time I hit the button has to do with this too. Does it make sense?

In any case, I am going to my car later to conduct more through tests as suggested by DrifterX

Last edited by Neneonline; 08-24-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #18
Neneonline
Rep

Hi Bimmers,

I did the tests suggested by DrifterX and got interesting results. I will edit the videos and post them later but long story short, I think that the engine clicking and having to press twice to start are both related.

Couple of other updates to complement the case.

Yesterday evening I got an orange engine light in the dash. Although the IDrive reported no errors, the orange engine indicator was clearly glowing.

This morning I sent an email to my BMW support rep. reporting this alarm and also that both the clicks and the double press for start had not been solved after reprogramming. She promptly replied, asked me to bring the car over and offer a case complementary substitution car.

I conducted and recorded DrifterX 's tests before bringing the car in, so by the time I was in the dealer I could report more precisely the symptoms. Also all your feedback re. How MPPSK behaves on other B58 was super useful. I got to speak to the head of workshop (not sure if this is the right term in English but the highest ranking mechanic). His humble and transparent feedback comforts me:

- He acknowledged that the double press to start was weird and that he had already escalated a ticket to HQ.
- We could reproduce the engine ticking and he wasn't very concerned about it. He thinks it can be a normal pre startup procedure. He admitted surprise that when the ticking is over the double press to start is not needed and promised to look into this. (This is a hypothesis still to be verified).
- He informed me that the DME software version they programmed during the MPPSK upgrade and the one they programmed when I brought the car at the beginning of this week (less than 2 weeks apart), were different versions. Looks like BMW might me doing some tweaking/bug fixing.
- His main concern was the orange engine indicator (may be unrelated issues). He needs to further investigate this as the DME error is documented as an N20 emission alarm.

Long story short. They have my car. I will update this thread once I get it back. I love you all for your support. Deep appreciation.

Cheers,

Víctor

PS. The X2 20d they've given me meanwhile is an ugly rider

Last edited by Neneonline; 08-24-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Not sure if I missed something but my 340, North American spec has always required two pushes of the start button to start motor, first push activates electronics, second starts the motor. It also requires two pushes on shut down, first turns off motor and the second turns of electronics. Car has done this new and continues to do it after I had the MPPSK installed eight months after delivery. I've never heard the clicks OP is referring to but I will give it a listen and see if I have it too.
      08-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

@Neneonline Thanks for sharing the update. I hope your visit to the dealer will result in the root cause being found. Please update this thread later.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Not normal at all. I'd have them prove it to you that it's normal on another MPPSK equipped vehicle in their lot.
Yea I have the mppsk and the dealer feed you hogwash
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
Neneonline
Rep

Ok... so for the sake of completeness, in case anyone is experiencing the same issue (Beek , maybe you?) let me share with you guys what I found after doing the tests suggested by DrifterX.

I am including a long, boring, poorly recorded and edited version of all the testing at the end. Apologies for my lack of cinematography skills

Quote:
- Do you still hear clicking after shutting the car off (before locking it)?
No, after the engine is shut off the only clicking in the engine is the normal clicking that happens as the engine cools down, but not the weird intermittent ticking.

Quote:
- Can you start the engine with one press if the engine was previously running (and you didn't lock the car)?
Yes I can!

Quote:
- Do you hear the clicking or do you need to press the start button twice if you lock the car for less than a minute and try starting it back up? Or do you see this issue only when the car has gone into full sleep mode which takes more than 10 minutes for the electronics to enter?
You hit the nail in the face. If I lock and unlock the car, the problem cannot be immediately reproduced. However, if I wait 10 minutes then the weird behavior happens again.

And a final finding is that if I wait until the engine ticking stops (which happens after approx. 1 min), then I do not need to push start-up button a second time to start the engine... which leads to believe that both issues share the same root cause.

As I said in my previous update... I will share with everyone any progress with the BMW service. Cross fingers.

And as promised, below is the video of all the testing.

Last edited by Neneonline; 08-24-2018 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0