F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > ASD retrofit?
ARMA SPEED

02-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #67
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 M/T -13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
No, i didn't mean the ASD to write in the VO.
I only meant code the ASD when your actually VO is activated.
But on your other picture above i see that the ASD was coded with your VO (N20B20=328i, your car) correctly.
And if the ASD was coded with your VO we can see that your power class is "OL".
If i'm not wrong "OL" means "obere Leistungsklasse" or upper power class.
UL means "untere Leistungsklasse" or "lower power class".
Unfortunately I can not find an overview of the power classes to the engines.
But for example you can try the 335i engine.
Type code is 3A95 and engine N55B30.
Power class should be ML or OL.
I understand!
Problem is I might have changed Power class, I don't remember if this is the exact settings after the flash. I have searched google for power class without success. I will try your settings to see if it works!
I wonder if construction stage matters. Because if I understand correctly ASD wasn't available on F30 until 2014. And mine is set to before 07/13.

By the way, I still have the buzzing sound from the right front speaker and audio shuts off as soon as I turn off the engine (before it played music until locking the car). I can still see it playing music, but no sound comes on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #68
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

OL for your power class should be right.
In doubt you can VO code the ASD and all values will be reset to standard.
Construction stage could be a problem.
You can try to change it and code the ASD with the changed VO.

Then I had another idea: Did you ever read the fault memory with Rheingold?
Maybe there is a saved fault.
I'm not sure, but maybe you can also use Rheingold to control some functions of the ASD.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #69
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
OL for your power class should be right.
In doubt you can VO code the ASD and all values will be reset to standard.
Construction stage could be a problem.
You can try to change it and code the ASD with the changed VO.

Then I had another idea: Did you ever read the fault memory with Rheingold?
Maybe there is a saved fault.
I'm not sure, but maybe you can also use Rheingold to control some functions of the ASD.
Woho, progress!
Just got back from some FDL coding. I found out that if I use the Model range F10 it works with the engines that F10 has had. So setting F10 and N20B20 (which is my engine) it does work
But if I change to F30 I get nothing.
If I select and engine like the B48B20 and F10 there is no sound either as that engine hasn't been in F10 ever.
What is sad is that I have heard that the B48 sounds better than the N20 in the ASD so I would love to code that.
I guess the problem is what I linked before, that newer firmware doesn't support other models than your own (and my ASD think it is in an F10).

Other than that I am trying to figure out the problem where music get quiet when turning off the engine, it is supposed to be on until I lock the car and I can see it still playing.
And that problem is probably pin 13 (headunit) for RAD_ON that is missing.
I do not have that cable at all, and I tried putting a wire on that pin in the HU but I'm not sure if it works. According to the wire diagram it is supposed to be connected to X70*1V, do you know what this is?

Thank you again!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #70
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joq3 View Post
Woho, progress!
Just got back from some FDL coding. I found out that if I use the Model range F10 it works with the engines that F10 has had. So setting F10 and N20B20 (which is my engine) it does work
Great
What happens when you select the S63 engine?

Quote:
Other than that I am trying to figure out the problem where music get quiet when turning off the engine, it is supposed to be on until I lock the car and I can see it still playing.
And that problem is probably pin 13 (headunit) for RAD_ON that is missing.
I do not have that cable at all, and I tried putting a wire on that pin in the HU but I'm not sure if it works. According to the wire diagram it is supposed to be connected to X70*1V, do you know what this is?

Thank you again!!
I still wonder why pin 13 (RAD_ON) was not occupied at your HU.
RAD_ON also is connected with the aerial diversity, which is important for the reception signal.
Otherwise if the RAD_ON wouldn't work, the ASD also wouldn't work because the RAD_ON switches the ASD on.
The X70*1V is to be found under the driver's seat.
You can take a look at this.

One would have to find out what this signal is.
Maybe it's only +12V, so you can test a bit.

Maybe you also can try to pull the fuse of the ASD it the engine is running and if the music then also will be quiet you can be sure that the ASD is off at your problem.

And again the question... Do you have Rheingold and did you read the fault memory?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #71
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Great
What happens when you select the S63 engine?

I still wonder why pin 13 (RAD_ON) was not occupied at your HU.
RAD_ON also is connected with the aerial diversity, which is important for the reception signal.
Otherwise if the RAD_ON wouldn't work, the ASD also wouldn't work because the RAD_ON switches the ASD on.
The X70*1V is to be found under the driver's seat.
You can take a look at this.

One would have to find out what this signal is.
Maybe it's only +12V, so you can test a bit.

Maybe you also can try to pull the fuse of the ASD it the engine is running and if the music then also will be quiet you can be sure that the ASD is off at your problem.

And again the question... Do you have Rheingold and did you read the fault memory?
S63 is the standard M5 engine right? That does work well too! Model set to F10.

Yes, me too, I checked very carefully and Pin 13 is empty, there wasn't any cable or female pin inserted in the plug either.

Maybe I have connection to Pin 13, as I said before I tried with the pin I bought for the fusebox, it was a bit large but I think it maybe did make connection. Because the ASD works, and the music too, but only with engine on. That might be because of F10 / F30 situation.

But doesn't music pass the ASD so if I pull the fuse it will most definatly be quiet?

I don't have Rheingold, but I have a BMS JB4 and I can read fault codes and clear them with that. And I found no fault codes at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #72
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Yes, i think you're right, the music passes the ASD when it's off.
It will be switched on by the RAD_ON Signal and the music will then amplified by the ASD.
So i think the RAD_ON is not so important as we thought.
If the RAD_ON signal doesn't arrive the ASD, it will not amplify the music.
But this should be no problem, because it also hasn't been before.
And the engine sound should nevertheless be there.
So maybe you can test it without the RAD_ON wire and we will see what happens?

Definitely i recommend to try Rheingold (ISTA+) because you will find many wiring diagrams, repair instructions and different tests.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #73
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yes, i think you're right, the music passes the ASD when it's off.
It will be switched on by the RAD_ON Signal and the music will then amplified by the ASD.
So i think the RAD_ON is not so important as we thought.
If the RAD_ON signal doesn't arrive the ASD, it will not amplify the music.
But this should be no problem, because it also hasn't been before.
And the engine sound should nevertheless be there.
So maybe you can test it without the RAD_ON wire and we will see what happens?

Definitely i recommend to try Rheingold (ISTA+) because you will find many wiring diagrams, repair instructions and different tests.
Maybe the RAD_ON problem is connected to my other problem. The static buzzing in right front speaker. I think if it doesn't receive the signal from RAD_ON it doesn't start the ASD and music just passes the ASD which then gives the buzzing because it isn't turned on? Weird thing is it is only from front right speaker.

I will try to pull it out. Do you know where to find the correct female pin for the headunit? The one from the fusebox is to big so I need the correct one.

I will download ISTA/Rheingold!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #74
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I will try to pull it out. Do you know where to find the correct female pin for the headunit? The one from the fusebox is to big so I need the correct one.
The 12527502933 and 12521433217 are the only ones i have found which look as they could fit.
But I can not say exactly if it will fit.
They both have the same dimensions, but are made of different material.
Appreciate 1
joq3105.00
      02-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #75
Carnego
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 120dA

Hi,

I just retrofitted ASD to my F20 and I'm having some problems getting other soundprofils to work. I believe at some point BMW decided people shouldn't be able to change the sound so they started to implement tests to check if the model and engine you select match the parts your car really has. I'm lucky that ASD was never installed in a 120d (N47 Engine) so there are no tests that prevent me from using the 135i N55B30 soundprofil but I really like to test a diesel setting, for example the N57D30. Since you both seem to have some experience with the retrofit maybe you can tell me if there is a way to get the profil for another model working, maybe through injecting an older cafd, downgrading the ecu or something like that? Sorry for hijacking your thread but information about this topic are very rare so I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #76
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnego View Post
Hi,

I just retrofitted ASD to my F20 and I'm having some problems getting other soundprofils to work. I believe at some point BMW decided people shouldn't be able to change the sound so they started to implement tests to check if the model and engine you select match the parts your car really has. I'm lucky that ASD was never installed in a 120d (N47 Engine) so there are no tests that prevent me from using the 135i N55B30 soundprofil but I really like to test a diesel setting, for example the N57D30. Since you both seem to have some experience with the retrofit maybe you can tell me if there is a way to get the profil for another model working, maybe through injecting an older cafd, downgrading the ecu or something like that? Sorry for hijacking your thread but information about this topic are very rare so I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you very much!
No worries. I think, sometime 2014-2015 BMW changed the firmware to only allow the specific model. As my ASD is from an F10 and now flashed using psdzdata 3.55.0.100. I can only select F10 and engine types that the F10 has used. If I select F30 I cannot get any sound from the ASD.
Problem is I don't know exactly which firmware you need to flash.

But I'm pretty sure flashing an older version is the only solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:14 AM   #77
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The 12527502933 and 12521433217 are the only ones i have found which look as they could fit.
But I can not say exactly if it will fit.
They both have the same dimensions, but are made of different material.
Finally got the female pins, bought both and they both worked well. Put it in the empty pin 13 on the HU connector.

By the way, I noticed there are 3 wires cut off. This is not done by me or the previous owner, as I am pretty sure this car hasen't been worked on at all.

Made sure I got a connection with the pin on the head unit, and I have a connection. But as I said before, the pin 13 was empty before, no connection from X70*1V as it should be according to the ISTA picture you provided.

So I tried finding how to reach this. But this is the only things under the seat area:

And I have no way of reaching anything that is under the carpet?

I still have the same problems as before. ASD does work, but I have a static noice from the right front speaker (checked that the cables were properly attached). And I only get sound when the engine is running. So it is not perfect, but it does work.

By the way, does it matter that the ASD is grounded on the same spot the ASD housing is mounted to, it is bolted to metal without anything in between. (the frame close to the headunit)? Tried a different ground spot without success.

I also tried clearing error codes with E-sys, and I will install ISTA and try to clear with ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #78
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

You should check your Aux-In-Input if you have one.
Because the associated pins to the cutted cables are for the Aux-In.

Maybe you can reach the x70 * 1V by following the cables from the seat, because these also run under the carpet?
Another possibility would be to take the RadOn signal at the noise filter.
But that's a far way for the cable.
On the other hand, I wonder where the noise filter gets its RadOn signal?

About the interference noise, did you test to pull the fuse of the ASD?
What happens then?
Maybe the asd has a defect and caused these noises?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
joq3105.00
      02-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #79
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

Maybe you can reach the x70 * 1V by following the cables from the seat, because these also run under the carpet?

What happens then?
I understand, I am pretty sure I have an AUX-in beside the USB-connection but I have never tried it as I have been using either bluetooth or usb for music. I will check that. It is weird if BMW just cuts the cables and leave them open close to eachother.

Yes, I wonder the same thing, if the HU hasn't had any cable to the pin 13 RAD_ON and everything has worked as it should before, where does it get the signal. And the ASD should be getting the signal too, as it does work when the car is running. If I press the power button on the radio (which mutes sound) the ASD still works.
I'm thinking more and more that the ASD doesn't receive 12V at all when the car is shut off. Maybe some of the 10A fuses shuts off when the car is off? I added an "Add-a-fuse" to one existing 10A fuse in the box.
View post on imgur.com
(I think it was one of the two in the top right corner).

I will try to pull the fuse too, see if I still get sound and if the interference is gone. The weird thing is that I only get interference static in the right front speaker, everything else sounds perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #80
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

What happens then?
Finally installed ISTA and did a complete check of the car.
The result is the following.
I have a fault code for rear right speaker:

Hadn't noticed this before, so I did a test with music. Front left, rear left and front right works (except static noise in front right) and rear right speaker is completely quiet. This got me thinking that maybe I have some connection problem to the ASD unit itself, and that the bad connection from the rear right speaker (which uses the same channel as front right) is somehow touching something else, maybe ground. And that brings the noise to the front right?

I also did a ECU test to the ASD, and there is a diagnosis for RAD_ON.
Here's with the engine off but ignition on (and radio on):

Here's with engine on (and radio on):

The "RAD_ON output signal (only when engine running)" seems to work, but the "Signal RAD_ON input" always shows the "off" state.

Here's a complete imgur album with more information from ISTA and the ASD:
View post on imgur.com

EDIT: Did clear the fault codes which hasn't come back yet, and it didn't change anything after clearing them.

EDIT 2: I just checked and I have 6NK and CBX-MEDIA ECU which means I have enhanced bluetooth and a combox in the trunk. Maybe that is why the AUX cables in the Headunit connector is cut? Do you think that is why there is no RAD_ON cable in pin 13? Maybe there is a RAD_ON output in the combox. I cannot find information about this in ISTA though.

Last edited by joq3; 03-01-2017 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #81
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:

EDIT 2: I just checked and I have 6NK and CBX-MEDIA ECU which means I have enhanced bluetooth and a combox in the trunk. Maybe that is why the AUX cables in the Headunit connector is cut? Do you think that is why there is no RAD_ON cable in pin 13? Maybe there is a RAD_ON output in the combox. I cannot find information about this in ISTA though.
Yes, you're right about the AUX.
I just checked this and saw that the AUX wires are connected with the combox.

The RAD_ON comes only from the Headunit.
I think the RAD_ON is OK.

The ASD control unit has one input RAD_ON and one output RAD_ON.
One of these signals can activate the hifi-amplifier if the engine is On and the Headunit is Off.
But because you don't have the hifi-amplifier you don't need this signal and in ISTA it is displayed as OFF.

In ISTA i found another very important information:
Note!

At every engine start (pure electrical driving mode or driving mode with combustion engine), the ASD control unit checks whether all speakers, including acoustic sensors, are connected. If a speaker is detected as disconnected, the ASD control unit switches the ASD function off completely. Not until all speakers are detected as connected does the ASD control unit release the ASD function.

Your ASD seems to work anyway, but i think you should solve the problem with the right rear speaker.
Appreciate 1
joq3105.00
      03-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #82
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you're right about the AUX.
I just checked this and saw that the AUX wires are connected with the combox.

The RAD_ON comes only from the Headunit.
I think the RAD_ON is OK.

The ASD control unit has one input RAD_ON and one output RAD_ON.
One of these signals can activate the hifi-amplifier if the engine is On and the Headunit is Off.
But because you don't have the hifi-amplifier you don't need this signal and in ISTA it is displayed as OFF.

In ISTA i found another very important information:
Note!

At every engine start (pure electrical driving mode or driving mode with combustion engine), the ASD control unit checks whether all speakers, including acoustic sensors, are connected. If a speaker is detected as disconnected, the ASD control unit switches the ASD function off completely. Not until all speakers are detected as connected does the ASD control unit release the ASD function.

Your ASD seems to work anyway, but i think you should solve the problem with the right rear speaker.
Great, that explains the cut/missing wires on the Headunit.

But if the RAD_ON isn't necessary I don't know what causes the sound not working at all when engine is off. Before the ASD retrofit I could listen to music with only ignition on, and after turning off the engine the music played until i locked the car. It still does the same thing, I can see tracks playing but it doesn't produce any sound. Also the static sound is gone (completely silent) which means the ASD isn't even on.
I really want to fix this. I was thinking if I pull a wire from the rear RAD_ON from the noise filter or x70 * 1V as you said. Do you think that will make a difference? Probably not if Pin 13 isn't even connected in the Head unit?

I will fix the bad connection with the rear right speaker, I think it is something wrong with the connectors I made.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #83
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

I really do not understand why that happens.
I also checked again the fuse occupancy in ISTA for the power for the ASD, but there should be no problem (F35 is connected with clamp 30B).
But i would make some tests with a multimeter.
Is there voltage at Pin 5 at the ASD if the engine is Off and Radio still On?
Which voltage is at the RAD_ON at the ASD Pin 10 and when?
Appreciate 1
joq3105.00
      04-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #84
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 420da

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
swfl 000021d4 is F3x/F8x
swfl 00003846 is F2x

F10 i have to check.

ASD Software Version 002_029_000 was the last version you can change Engine/Model Range without switching off the ASD.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #85
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I really do not understand why that happens.
I also checked again the fuse occupancy in ISTA for the power for the ASD, but there should be no problem (F35 is connected with clamp 30B).
But i would make some tests with a multimeter.
Is there voltage at Pin 5 at the ASD if the engine is Off and Radio still On?
Which voltage is at the RAD_ON at the ASD Pin 10 and when?
Finally I was able to solve it. I must have had a bad connection to the ASD unit with my selfmade connector. So I redid the connections and tried again. Now the sound does work without the engine on, and I also have no problem with buzzing in the right speaker, and also the rear speakers both work. So everything is up and running!
And I want to thank you atzebmw for all the great help! And also from your friend! Really couldn't have made it without your help. And I hope this thread provides enough information for everyone else who wants to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhforyou View Post
swfl 000021d4 is F3x/F8x
swfl 00003846 is F2x

F10 i have to check.

ASD Software Version 002_029_000 was the last version you can change Engine/Model Range without switching off the ASD.
Nice, thank you for the information. I found out that I am able to change engine in my ASD as long as I keep it set to F10, and only use engine types found in the F10, so I have the M5 sound if I want it (which sounds horrible on my car). How did manage to find this out?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #86
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice, thank you for the information. I found out that I am able to change engine in my ASD as long as I keep it set to F10, and only use engine types found in the F10, so I have the M5 sound if I want it (which sounds horrible on my car). How did manage to find this out?
Can you post your swfl and cafd file numbers?

I have tried near 25 different ASD software versions of swfl 000021d4 and all sounds different at the same setting (F82_S55B30)

I have good connections...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:04 AM   #87
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhforyou View Post
Can you post your swfl and cafd file numbers?

I have tried near 25 different ASD software versions of swfl 000021d4 and all sounds different at the same setting (F82_S55B30)

I have good connections...
Thank you, but do you know what psdzdata version I should use to be able to change the engine type.
Mine is a bit special as it is an ASD from an F10 so the only setting working is F10 and N20B20 (my engine), everything else shuts it off.
I thought I could change the engine type as long as I used F10, but did not remember correctly.

I would like to flash it to enable switching to B48.

Please check the F10 psdzdata and F30, don't remember which I would need.
Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #88
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
To understand your Problem you have to know that the ASD hardware(ASD ECU) is the same in all models. F10, F20, F30 all have the same ASD ECU. But the swfl version, the software in the ASD ECU, is different. So if you want the B48 engine sound you need a car model the engine was in from factory. So F3x with swfl 000021d4 should be fine.

BUT BMW changed the ASD Software in the middle of 2015. At this point all fdl changes in the ASD, Car Model or Engine shuts off the ASD. So you have to flash the ASD Ecu with a psdzdata before P3.56.1 or 15-07-502.
Appreciate 0