F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Extinction Rebellion mob
Studio RSR

10-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
In terms of power generation, yes we are well placed (which is of course hugely important). However, I'm not aware of any other significant policy that is seriously aimed at reducing pollution. If you look at electric cars, for example, there is no national strategy for improving charging network, leaving it up to local authorities to do what they want.

I have a couple of scientist friends who frankly despair at the governments actual approach to the environment, rather than the rhetoric.

I do agree though, that it is difficult to get motivated when you see what the largest polluting countries are, or are not doing.
And that is the ultimate point, we are doing something which is frankly next to pointless if India, China and the US do nothing....

As for the guy who climbed on a plane where he shouldnt have been, just go ahead as normal and see how long he stayed on when the engines started....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

All I know is I sat in three and a half hours worth of traffic today because of this mob.

I deliberately didn't use auto stop start as an up yours to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #25
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
In terms of power generation, yes we are well placed (which is of course hugely important). However, I'm not aware of any other significant policy that is seriously aimed at reducing pollution. If you look at electric cars, for example, there is no national strategy for improving charging network, leaving it up to local authorities to do what they want.

I have a couple of scientist friends who frankly despair at the governments actual approach to the environment, rather than the rhetoric.

I do agree though, that it is difficult to get motivated when you see what the largest polluting countries are, or are not doing.
I'm not arguing with you, we are according to a study by imperial college a world leader in climate change, whether that's amazing progress or not wasn't a point I was making.

I simply pointed out to you that you're wrong in your assumption that the statement was based on what is going to be done rather what had been done.

Why don't you hand in your 540i xdrive if you're that concerned and put yourself out to be greener, stop flying as well for a start....always the councils or governments fault and that's the basic problem with climate change it's billions of people doing seemingly reasonable things that have caused it and it'll take billions of people to reverse their lifestyles to change it and you really won't like the medicine if and when it comes.
      10-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #26
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
As for the guy who climbed on a plane where he shouldnt have been, just go ahead as normal and see how long he stayed on when the engines started....
That reminds me - In around 2001 I stopped at the drop off area of Eurostar Waterloo and carried my girlfriend's bag the 20 metres into the terminal building. I was gone for literally 30 seconds and I returned to find some chunky fellow under my car trying to attach a clamp. I jumped in, started the engine (an E39 M5) and revved it to the red line - I have never seen someone that shape move so fast
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      10-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #27
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
There are calls for Greta to get a Nobel Peace prize for ranting like a child (which she actually is) at the UN.

We're going to hell in a handcart and everyone has run out of ideas, the future apparently is in the hands of a 16 year old.
You know when i was 16 thought i knew it all too....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #28
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I'm not arguing with you, we are according to a study by imperial college a world leader in climate change, whether that's amazing progress or not wasn't a point I was making.

I simply pointed out to you that you're wrong in your assumption that the statement was based on what is going to be done rather what had been done.

Why don't you hand in your 540i xdrive if you're that concerned and put yourself out to be greener, stop flying as well for a start....always the councils or governments fault and that's the basic problem with climate change it's billions of people doing seemingly reasonable things that have caused it and it'll take billions of people to reverse their lifestyles to change it and you really won't like the medicine if and when it comes.
The study also states we are there because of a single (significant) action of reducing our dependency on coal fired power stations, rather than a joined up environmentally friendly approach to policy.

I agree that it is down to individuals, but there are things that councils and governments can do to help nudge that. Personally, I choose to cycle to work, each day, 7 mile each way. It's not going to change the world on it's own, but it does mean the car isn't sitting in traffic for an hour a day. And cycling is an excellent example of where there is no joined up policy from the government. Everyone accepts that it's good for health, reduces pollution and and congestion, yet there are no-where near enough safe cycle lanes, and many of those that are put in are half hearted. It requires, big, long term vision, and that is lacking.

You are right in that if we are really serious, then the life style changes required are not going to be easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #29
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
And that is the ultimate point, we are doing something which is frankly next to pointless if India, China and the US do nothing....

This DH

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50000110

A full power performance takeoff with him still on the roof would’ve been worth the drive down there!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

I am well aware of the climate issues, and try very hard to recycle etc.

Im also very aware of the need to taser terrorist hippies, and I think it should be enshrined in law!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #31
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Someone from Extinction Rebellion is going to be on BBC Question Time tonight at 22:35.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #32
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Debate going on. Numpties according to Dragon Theo
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #33
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Apparently 100 celebs which have supported the Extinction Rebellion have issued an open letter which starts :

"Dear journalists who have called us hypocrites. You're right. We live high carbon lives and the industries that we are part of have huge carbon footprints. Like you, and everyone else, we are stuck in this fossil-fuel economy and without systemic change, our lifestyles will keep on causing climate and ecological harm."

Copying and pasting it into Google translate produced this :

"Hi we're celebs (we know; cool, eh !). Yeah, life's good, really good, but what can we do ? Climate change is hard, yeah, but we can't change because you like TV, films and shit. Anyway. we've written a letter to get us off the hook, so it's basically over to you lot. Systemic change - you know it makes sense (for you). We feel better now. Peace."

Clever thing, Google.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
mcoops1757.00
      10-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #34
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Apparently 100 celebs which have supported the Extinction Rebellion have issued an open letter which starts :

"Dear journalists who have called us hypocrites. You're right. We live high carbon lives and the industries that we are part of have huge carbon footprints. Like you, and everyone else, we are stuck in this fossil-fuel economy and without systemic change, our lifestyles will keep on causing climate and ecological harm."

"Hi we're celebs (we know; cool, eh !). Yeah, life's good, really good, but what can we do ? Climate change is hard, yeah, but we can't change because you like TV, films and shit. Anyway. we've written a letter to get us off the hook, so it's basically over to you lot. Systemic change - you know it makes sense (for you). We feel better now. Peace."

Clever thing, Google.
Lewis Hamilton had some rambling twitter post saying the only way to save the world is if we all go Vegan etc...to which every one pointed out hes paid ££ Gazillions to drive a gas guzzling car and has a private jet he globe trots in..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #35
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Clever thing, Google.
Lewis Hamilton had some rambling twitter post saying the only way to save the world is if we all go Vegan etc...to which every one pointed out hes paid ££ Gazillions to drive a gas guzzling car and has a private jet he globe trots in..
You've got that all wrong.

Apparently he sold his jet, so now he's like totally enviro

I do agree with his rant though. Just a shame that his green conscience is linked with his career driving a car that, at best, achieves 5mpg.

Now, if he switched to Formula-e (charged from a Dyson solar panel and battery wall, natch) maybe more people would take him seriously.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #36
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Interesting scenes on the tube today, those protesters were given very short shrift by the commuters, good to see some positive action taken unlike the Police that seem to be happy to allow them to disrupt everyone's life.

I said it earlier on but these protesters and their celebrity backers have got it wrong they are alienating people not converting them.

I love LH and his success but he needs to either wind his neck in or retire from his dreadfully planet damaging career and then campaign.

It's almost like their plan is to send the rest of us back to the stone age whilst they continue to eat up the worlds resources, yeah right.

Last edited by Wills2; 10-17-2019 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #37
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Lewis Hamilton is a fucking bellend.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #38
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

https://news.sky.com/video/extinctio...uters-11837411
Shame the tube worker intervened.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:02 AM   #39
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I must be a super minority to be grateful of the protesters.

Like it or not, the world does not take climate change seriously. Even if you take the Trump stance and say it doesn't exist, it's unfair on future generations to take the risk.

Greta Thunberg - sums it up very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:13 AM   #40
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post

Like it or not, the world does not take climate change seriously. Even if you take the Trump stance and say it doesn't exist, it's unfair on future generations to take the risk.

Greta Thunberg - sums it up very nicely.
I love the fact that I live in a country where people I disagree with get to protest. Freedom of speech. But these people are idiots. Not only are they now targeting (apparently) low carbon, high density public transport, they are putting people's livelihoods at risk. If I couldn't get on the tube, I can get a cab or work from somewhere else. How many commuters in low-paid jobs will not be paid today, or even lose their jobs?

Also, not much pick up in the media on this, but the guy who got dragged off the tube train roof kicked the guy who was trying to climb up first.

Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      10-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #41
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

The public fights back....

few good clips here..https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ning-Town.html
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #42
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Nothing wrong with protesting but it's all aimed in the wrong way and supported by people who want to divert attention from their own wanton excess which continues unabated.

Many of us have quietly and without virtue signalling on forums changed our lifestyles to reduce our impact on the environment, whilst others continue to jet about the place and order brand new 2 tonne SUV's, whilst supporting the protesters tactics and gleefully admitting that they are hypocrites and are happy to say so, you couldn't make this stuff up.

I wonder how supportive they'd be if they stopped their next long haul family holiday flight or glued themselves to their spanking new SUV? Stopping them from going about their business? Hmmmm....
      10-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #43
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Peaceful protest and raising awareness is one thing - bringing people's lives to a standstill is something else. Extinction Rebellion has lost its credibility IMO.

Bravo to the commuters on the Underground this morning. Interesting clips on the news - people have had enough.
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      10-17-2019, 04:44 AM   #44
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Apart from anything, they're not very bright are they? Not only have they targeted one of the most environmentally-friendly forms of transport, they decided to protest in East London where the likelihood of taking a kicking was always going to be pretty high. They should have gone to Knightsbridge...

Appreciate 1