F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Coolant Leak B58
ARMA SPEED

10-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Coolant Leak B58

So my 340i randomly dropped about 2 litres of radiator fluid yesterday at lunch (drove to lunch, about an hour for lunch, walked back to car and it was over the ground). I couldn't see where it came from, it also "sounded" like the water in the reservoir was boiling which seems odd/wrong as the temp never even got to 110C. I had no low level coolant warning or over temp either.
So I filled the system with fluid, bleed it and took it for a drive 30-40 min, got home, parked it up. I check post 30 min, no leak. Got up in the morning and it had dropped about a litre over night. It also is dropping in both reservoirs, I thought they were independent of each other?
Can anyone give some advice please?
Cheers

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisveal View Post
So my 340i randomly dropped about 2 litres of radiator fluid yesterday at lunch (drove to lunch, about an hour for lunch, walked back to car and it was over the ground). I couldn't see where it came from, it also "sounded" like the water in the reservoir was boiling which seems odd/wrong as the temp never even got to 110C. I had no low level coolant warning or over temp either.
So I filled the system with fluid, bleed it and took it for a drive 30-40 min, got home, parked it up. I check post 30 min, no leak. Got up in the morning and it had dropped about a litre over night. It also is dropping in both reservoirs, I thought they were independent of each other?
Can anyone give some advice please?
Cheers

Chris
Pressure test the coolant system. Most of our leaks are (in order of most to least frequent):
radiator cap leak
reservoir leak
turbo leak
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep

I have dropped my car off at Brisbane BMW, it turns out that the water pump has a leak and requires replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #4
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I have dropped my car off at Brisbane BMW, it turns out that the water pump has a leak and requires replacement.
Picked up my 340i today and can not fault the guys at BMW Brisbane. They covered the pump plus extras under warranty and my cars back home running sweet.
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Picked up my 340i today and can not fault the guys at BMW Brisbane. They covered the pump plus extras under warranty and my cars back home running sweet.
Glad it all worked out on the first service visit.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
misguided_will
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Sport

how many kms has your car done?
      11-07-2019, 03:05 AM   #7
chrisveal
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided_will View Post
how many kms has your car done?
Hey mate, my car had done 67k
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:49 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Pressure test the coolant system. Most of our leaks are (in order of most to least frequent):
radiator cap leak
reservoir leak
turbo leak
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think this is correct. The high temp cap has been around for ages and is a proven design. They usually fail from oil contamination (yet to be common on B58) or mishandling (impact damage to the tip).

B58 F chassis cars usually come from the factory improperly bled. This will confuse a lot of people but a pressure test will yield nothing. Most should have been taken care of by now as this issue usually occurs within the first 15k
Next is either stone impact to the low temp radiator (the two circuits are linked) or the belt driven water pump leaking at either the weep hole or the reservoir cap on the pump.

B48 models are getting on with age and we are seeing the vent pipe to the cylinder head fracturing underneath the manifold. It's a crap design. Thermal cycling and vibration

Last edited by juld0zer; 08-16-2020 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
Urbz8.00
      02-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think this is correct. The high temp cap has been around for ages and is a proven design. They usually fail from oil contamination (yet to be common on B58) or mishandling (impact damage to the tip).

B58 F chassis cars usually come from the factory improperly bled. This will confuse a lot of people but a pressure test will yield nothing. Most should have been taken care of by now as this issue usually occurs within the first 15k
Next is either stone impact to the low temp radiator (the two circuits are linked) or the belt driven water pump leaking at either the weep hole or the reservoir cap on the pump.

B48 models are getting on with age and we are seeing the vent pipe to the cylinder head fracturing underneath the manifold. It's a crap design. Thermal cycling and vibration 🤦🏻*♂️
Lot of people have coolant residue around the cap. Mine did leak.
Appreciate 0