F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Touring fans, let's see some ...
ARMA SPEED

08-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #45
4fooksake
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

I've had mine do a couple of years now and still happy with it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      08-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #46
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Not for the first time, you are presenting a false dichotomy here. You don't need to drive like a twat to find it wanting, any normal undulating B road at legal speeds will expose the weaknesses of the suspension.
Its not really designed to be a B road hero to be fair. More of an autobahnstormer Europe crosser.

It's a bit bigger and heavier than a 205 Gti or Clio Cup so yes it will get unsettled on bumpy B roads no doubt. I think it does ok given the weight of the engine. At least in my S drive anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #47
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
Well said that man!
I could not agree more …… & I think it is more than the remaining 5% that are dissatisfied with the standard suspension offering, judging by everyone on this forum.

Everyone on this forum... that'll be less than 5% of F31 owners in the UK then. The probable reality is that the other 95%+ of owners don't drive it hard enough to find it a problem. Or even care.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #48
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Everyone on this forum... that'll be less than 5% of F31 owners in the UK then. The probable reality is that the other 95%+ of owners don't drive it hard enough to find it a problem. Or even care.
The point is you do not need to drive an xdrive hard to notice there is an issue with its suspension setup.

30 - 40 mph down a road with the odd normal bend will show its compromised.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #49
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The point is you do not need to drive an xdrive hard to notice there is an issue with its suspension setup.

30 - 40 mph down a road with the odd normal bend will show its compromised.
I disagree. I'm not saying it is the ultimate drivers car by any stretch of the imagination but at 1700kg+, 4 wheel drive and designed around family living I think it strikes a fine compromise.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. I'm not saying it is the ultimate drivers car by any stretch of the imagination but at 1700kg+, 4 wheel drive and designed around family living I think it strikes a fine compromise.
You disagree that the suspension, namely the springs are compromised on the xdrive?

Seriously?

Jump in any of the xdrive 3 series cars, then try an Sdrive.

BMW are advertised as driving machines.

The xdrive is almost a blancmange on wheels.

If other manufacturers can produce an AWD estate that do not feel like you are driving a 'pudding', then how come BMW can cock up with the xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #51
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Yes, but there is one point that you are missing …… The 5% that were mentioned happen to be relative driving enthusiasts (with the odd exception of course)

I have an interest in this forum because I have an interest in cars, like driving them (& yes, sometimes enthusiastically) & have a quest to improve that experience with minor modifications if I can.

I don't really understand why you choose to be so dismissive of the people wishing to make improvements …. If you buy a house, you generally modify it to your tastes.

Right, said my thoughts …. have a great evening Dave ….. I'm off out to meet friends for dinner

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #52
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Its not really designed to be a B road hero to be fair. More of an autobahnstormer Europe crosser.

It's a bit bigger and heavier than a 205 Gti or Clio Cup so yes it will get unsettled on bumpy B roads no doubt. I think it does ok given the weight of the engine. At least in my S drive anyway
You do not have the SE suspension, but proper MSport slightly lower springs.

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #53
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
Yes, but there is one point that you are missing …… The 5% that were mentioned happen to be relative driving enthusiasts (with the odd exception of course)

I have an interest in this forum because I have an interest in cars, like driving them (& yes, sometimes enthusiastically) & have a quest to improve that experience with minor modifications if I can.

I don't really understand why you choose to be so dismissive of the people wishing to make improvements …. If you buy a house, you generally modify it to your tastes.

Right, said my thoughts …. have a great evening Dave ….. I'm off out to meet friends for dinner
It's just that pretty much every time xDrive is mentioned, the obligatory "make sure you fit ACS springs" answer comes out. The standard F31 xDrive handling really isn't that bad. I would say it is better than 90% of other estate cars out there. From what I've seen during my short time on this forum I think certain posts are unnecessarily putting people off the xDrive. It's still a fantastic car, and please just bear in mind that for many many people it will be all they will ever require or even want.

Enjoy your evening.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #54
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's just that pretty much every time xDrive is mentioned, the obligatory "make sure you fit ACS springs" answer comes out. The standard F31 xDrive handling really isn't that bad. I would say it is better than 90% of other estate cars out there. From what I've seen during my short time on this forum I think certain posts are unnecessarily putting people off the xDrive. It's still a fantastic car, and please just bear in mind that for many many people it will be all they will ever require or even want.

Enjoy your evening.
How many years you had your xdrive, what did you think about it over the winter?

I had mine 3 years, drove down to south coast and up to North Scotland (a few times), plenty forest trips etc and trips around Wales.

Yes the tourer is a brilliant car but it is compromised in regards to its springs, even my bloody dog knows that.

If you don't mind that wishy washy feeling from the springs, then fine but owning, driving and sleeping in the damn thing, it can't be denied.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #55
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

I miss my 330d sdrive, was a great car for a growing family and kept with a number of 'performance' cars But only in a straight line. But that's fine, because with a boot full of crap you are not going to hitting each roundabout at 65mph and sideways.

I think the 5s are too big, but are growing on me, but am tempted to go back to e91 and for £8-10k I think a 330d or 335d or even 330i is pretty good value
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #56
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I think the X Drive suspension wasn't terrible (335d saloon driver opinion here) but it had that initial roll that would never inspire confidence. My RRS has that to a certain extent now too. I wouldn't fork out another 5k for the HSE Dynamic so if you corner enthusiastically there's initial body roll, but actually it's the stays flat and predictable.
      08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #57
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
How many years you had your xdrive, what did you think about it over the winter?

I had mine 3 years, drove down to south coast and up to North Scotland (a few times), plenty forest trips etc and trips around Wales.

Yes the tourer is a brilliant car but it is compromised in regards to its springs, even my bloody dog knows that.

If you don't mind that wishy washy feeling from the springs, then fine but owning, driving and sleeping in the damn thing, it can't be denied.
Ok, we're just going around in circles here (and not very well either if you're in an xDrive apparently). I think we've all made our points and feelings known, time to move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #58
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok, we're just going around in circles here (and not very well either if you're in an xDrive apparently). I think we've all made our points and feelings known, time to move on.
Remember to get your forum discount with Lorcan for your xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #59
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Remember to get your forum discount with Lorcan for your xdrive.
?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #60
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
?
? How long you had your car?

The forum due to the xdrive springs being from an old four poster arranged with AC Schnitzer to supply ACS springs and a list of places that fit them.

God father Lorcan manages it all.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #61
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
? How long you had your car?

The forum due to the xdrive springs being from an old four poster arranged with AC Schnitzer to supply ACS springs and a list of places that fit them.

God father Lorcan manages it all.
But I don't want ACS springs?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #62
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
This thread was about the Touring model.... since xdrive is across all models let get back to the photos. But up rated springs are an improvement if you want them.
      08-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #63
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
This thread was about the Touring model.... since xdrive is across all models let get back to the photos. But up rated springs are an improvement if you want them.
You are quite right, but I can see how easy it is to become distracted by these issues. I for one, would like to buy a car that does what it’s supposed to without having to modify it, especially as the brand has a ‘strap line’!

Anyway, why has BMW never competed with Audi’s RS4 and RS6 Avants? I don’t get it?!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #64
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
You are quite right, but I can see how easy it is to become distracted by these issues. I for one, would like to buy a car that does what it’s supposed to without having to modify it, especially as the brand has a ‘strap line’!

Anyway, why has BMW never competed with Audi’s RS4 and RS6 Avants? I don’t get it?!
I believe part of the problem is BMW had been supplying xDrive with softer/higher suspensions in other markets, including previous model generations, Launching in the UK (for the all weather bias), many M-sport drivers got quite a shock. They'd not been used to the different driving dynamics of SE models.

I suppose that poses the real question, how many have driven RWD SE models and compared the drive with xDrive, to see where the real differences lay?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #65
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post

I live in the US but grew up in the UK.... we don't get any decent estates/ wagons/ touring models.... the only one is the Mercedes E63... the 3 series won't come here... bloody SUV/ SAV's!
      08-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #66
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
G31 loaded and ready to take the family across France at pace and in comfort. No horses in sight as I think they're only good for dog food and glue.