F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Can coding affect your warranty
ARMA SPEED

10-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Kenny212
Private
Rep
Drives: 325d m sport touring

Can coding affect your warranty

I am think about getting some basic coding done to my f31 , and was wondering if anybody ever had their warranty voided by BMW

Cheers Kenny
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

FDL coding definitely will not as they can't even detect it. FA coding they can detect as it actually prevents them programming/updating your car, which I found out last week when they couldn't program my car because I had coded EBT. But they just rang me up and gave me the option of either them changing it back to standard (for £160!) or me changing it back.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13343.50
      10-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

It's one of those 'it depends' answers.
If you screw it up and brick your car, of course they won't cover you.
If, on the other hand, the coding is absolutely nothing to do with the fault - for example you have a gearbox failure and all you've done is code EBT, then yes, your warranty will be intact.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Kenny212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
FDL coding definitely will not as they can't even detect it. FA coding they can detect as it actually prevents them programming/updating your car, which I found out last week when they couldn't program my car because I had coded EBT. But they just rang me up and gave me the option of either them changing it back to standard (for £160!) or me changing it back.
Do you have a basic list of fdl coding than can get done as I am unsure what the difference
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny212 View Post
Do you have a basic list of fdl coding than can get done as I am unsure what the difference
Everything on this cheat sheet is FDL coding except page 2 & 3:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...8&d=1435767715
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Kenny212
Private
Rep

Quote:
Everything on this cheat sheet is FDL coding except page 2 & 3:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...8&d=1435767715
Thanks I am seeing somebody on sat , and he going check the car to see what coding can be done to it , is ebt worth doing as I all wayhave my iPod plugged in the armrest
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

Quote:
What were they trying to program in your car that caused the problem? Software update during a service? I'll be due a service soon and wondering if I should take the EBT off again. I should probably remove it before handing back to BMWFS anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D LCI M Sport

Interested to know this too.

Also like to know if the coding options are risk free?
      10-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
What were they trying to program in your car that caused the problem? Software update during a service? I'll be due a service soon and wondering if I should take the EBT off again. I should probably remove it before handing back to BMWFS anyway.
They fitted a new roof light control module, to try and fix the interior light problem, and they then needed to program (update firmware) all the cars modules.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylrese View Post
Interested to know this too.

Also like to know if the coding options are risk free?
In years of guys on the UK forum coding their cars I've never heard of one that's had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
C5_GBO
Carl
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I've just paid to have my 2015 F31 coded, this included:

- Stop/start off as default
- Folding mirrors on lock/unlock
- Fogs as welcome lights
- Alarm beep option enabled
- Digital speedo
- DVD in motion
- Boot open/close on keyfob
- Enhanced bluetooth
- Engine software update
- Gearbox software update.

I'm really pleased with all of the extra features unlocked and can notice the gearbox software update too (for the better), but reading this thread, I wanted to clarify with any of the coding experts on here if any of these codes will potentially give me issues with BMW should I need to go in for any warranty claims as the guy who carried out the work assured me it wouldn't and has not had any issues from any of his clients...
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31Gibbon View Post

- Fogs as welcome lights
- Digital speedo
- DVD in motion
- Enhanced bluetooth
- Engine software update

I'm really pleased with all of the extra features unlocked and can notice the gearbox software update too (for the better), but reading this thread, I wanted to clarify with any of the coding experts on here if any of these codes will potentially give me issues with BMW should I need to go in for any warranty claims as the guy who carried out the work assured me it wouldn't and has not had any issues from any of his clients...
For me (not from a BMW perspective but from a warranty T&C's) the last two would be ones that could be used by BMW to get out of warranty claim.

So the customer decided to load their own firmware to our hardware and not use the firmware we test, keep under config control, now their hardware is not working properly....

That's not a coding point of view, that's from a hardware warranty point of view in regards to firmware.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:

- Fogs as welcome lights
- Digital speedo
- DVD in motion
- Enhanced bluetooth
- Engine software update

For me (not from a BMW perspective but from a warranty T&C's) the last two would be ones that could be used by BMW to get out of warranty claim.

So the customer decided to load their own firmware to our hardware and not use the firmware we test, keep under config control, now their hardware is not working properly....

That's not a coding point of view, that's from a hardware warranty point of view in regards to firmware.
I can see your point... but equally forum member can argue that they have been update to latest bmw firmware released by them.
Bmw launches those updates for improvement so I do not see that bmw has grounds to refuse the warranty work. They can say that all modules should have been updated to avoid issues though as that is recommended practice. But then there are many lazy dealers in London who only upgrade the modules which are absolutely necessary for the task / job.

For those who are worried;
1- FDL coding is undetectable and you should not be worried.
2- VO coding for EBT / 2TB / 3AG, if you go for this then after coding the required module, reverse the changes in the VO otherwise dealer will struggle as in the case of teaston. As far as you keep your VO string to how it came from the dealer, you will be good.
3- updating modules / ecus such as engine or gearbox. You either do the complete car or leave them alone. Reason is that bmw can decline the warranty work if only few modules are updated. One example is that engine and gearbox are updated and will work to their optimal levels however dsc module will still be on old parameters which may / will leave some errors. These errors will not show on the dashboard but will be floating in the database and will be picked by the dealer.
Soul_Glo13343.50
      11-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
C5_GBO
Carl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I can see your point... but equally forum member can argue that they have been update to latest bmw firmware released by them.
Bmw launches those updates for improvement so I do not see that bmw has grounds to refuse the warranty work. They can say that all modules should have been updated to avoid issues though as that is recommended practice. But then there are many lazy dealers in London who only upgrade the modules which are absolutely necessary for the task / job.

2- VO coding for EBT / 2TB / 3AG, if you go for this then after coding the required module, reverse the changes in the VO otherwise dealer will struggle as in the case of teaston. As far as you keep your VO string to how it came from the dealer, you will be good.
3- updating modules / ecus such as engine or gearbox. You either do the complete car or leave them alone. Reason is that bmw can decline the warranty work if only few modules are updated. One example is that engine and gearbox are updated and will work to their optimal levels however dsc module will still be on old parameters which may / will leave some errors. These errors will not show on the dashboard but will be floating in the database and will be picked by the dealer.
Hmmmm... I'm starting to wish I did a bit more research now before going ahead with the coding!

However, the guy said none of his 800+ clients have ever had warranty claim issues and he only codes F model BMW's, so most still in warranty. Many of his clients are high end marks as well including his own M4.

The gearbox and engine updates are BMW releases, but BMW did not do this when my car was in for a service last month. I mentioned this to the guy and he said they would only do the software update if parts were being replaced or I asked and paid for it..

I'm not sure if the guy has kept the original VO code, so I'm guessing I will struggle to get the car set back to default settings if I do need to go in for a warranty issue? Also, is it recommended I set it back to default settings if/when I take it back to BMW for an upgrade??

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Hmmmm... I'm starting to wish I did a bit more research now before going ahead with the coding!

However, the guy said none of his 800+ clients have ever had warranty claim issues and he only codes F model BMW's, so most still in warranty. Many of his clients are high end marks as well including his own M4.

The gearbox and engine updates are BMW releases, but BMW did not do this when my car was in for a service last month. I mentioned this to the guy and he said they would only do the software update if parts were being replaced or I asked and paid for it..

I'm not sure if the guy has kept the original VO code, so I'm guessing I will struggle to get the car set back to default settings if I do need to go in for a warranty issue? Also, is it recommended I set it back to default settings if/when I take it back to BMW for an upgrade??

Cheers
Updating module / ECU is totally different to changing VO.

VO is a virtual spec sheet saved in your car. If you add anything which did not come from the factory, and bmw decides to do a warranty work and you car requires updating, then it can create some issues. However most dealers ring you and give you a chance to put the things / alteration back. I have done multiple retrofits on e-series and its mostly n54 owners who go through warranty work and usually oem navigation is put back into the car.

Updating firmware / software is no issue at all, whether thats done at bmw or any independent garage as ultimately you are reducing bmw dealer's work in the event of a claim. However its better to update the whole car (all the modules) as opposed to selected one. And this does not require altering the virtual spec sheet (VO) of your car.

I would not worry at all in your case as your modules were updated with bmw written firmwares. In case, if they ever say then just say that your indy may have done it. They will be glad as they will have to update less modules unless there will be updates for engine and gearbox modules at that time.
      11-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

From my experience I can say that less than 20% of cars have firmware update done up to date. Every second bmw never been updated from factory integration level.
Most of dealers will never discover if some ecu's been flashed by others, of course depends of fault.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
C5_GBO
Carl
Rep

Thanks for the feedback makkan00 and vorph
It makes more sense now reading through all the comments.

As you've said, the guy just went in and ticked a few of the option boxes for functions BMW didn't give from factory and he found 2 updates available on the BMW software and updated them.. if it comes to it, I'll suggest an indy did it ;-)
Appreciate 1
onstat89.50
      05-23-2017, 02:23 AM   #18
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Sorry to bring back an old thread but how does one reverse the VO coding? I've coded EBT but I'm curious to know what I need to do to reset VO just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
Chr15b
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I see a good explanation of vo, but what are fa and fdl?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:12 AM   #20
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1894 View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread but how does one reverse the VO coding? I've coded EBT but I'm curious to know what I need to do to reset VO just in case.
VO coding is coding the cars individual modules to the Vehicle Order. If you have changed one of the option codes in the cars order list, or "FA", you would have the pressed "Code" on individual modules and that would have changed all the relevant settings to match the vehicle order, or FA list.

For example, for EBT you would have changed 6NH to 6NS in the FA list. Saved it in ESYS and then gone to HU_NBT for NBT Pro Media or HU_EntryNav for newer business media and pressed code.

To reverse that, you would change the Vehicle Order FA list back to original (6NS to 6NH) and then "Code" back the relevant modules.

You can change the FA within Esys. Esys then holds a local copy and you can VO code from that altered FA. As long as you don't then write the altered FA back to the car, the car will always hold the original stock FA. To then code back to original, just read the car and then VO code modules. However, if you have written it back to the car you will have to dig out your original order and write back.

99% of the time there is no need to write the FA back to the car. This can cause problems at the dealer if your original order FA list doesn't match what BMW have. (As I and teaston have found out). They cannot programme or update your software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr15b View Post
I see a good explanation of vo, but what are fa and fdl?
FA - you change the order codes to add /remove or change the options of the car and then you can VO code the required modules to that order (FA list)

FDL coding is changing individual settings, manually, inside an individual ECU module.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d

Last edited by stu14t; 05-24-2017 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #21
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Me coding EBT prevented a bmw specialist from updating mine when they installed the Alpine Hifi. BMW tried to get them to take it all out again saying it wasnt compatible with the car! They were seriously peaved when I went in and did it myself.
      05-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i EBII

Can coding EBT prevent OTA map updates? Had my car nearly 3 months and I'm still waiting for the 2017-2 OTA map update.

Can I manually force an OTA update?
Appreciate 0