F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > M Track Day at Sonoma
Studio RSR

09-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

M Track Day at Sonoma

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place.

BMW is offering M Track Days at Sonoma in October. 1/2 day is $495. Full day is $995.

It sounds fun. Has anybody done it?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I'm signed up for the full day program at Sonoma.

I expect it'll be similar to the Performance Center M-School (which was very engaging and fun).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      09-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'm signed up for the full day program at Sonoma.

I expect it'll be similar to the Performance Center M-School (which was very engaging and fun).
I've done both M Track Days and M School (both 1 and 2 Day).

The major difference between M Track Days and M School is at track days you have to share a car (not sure now since Covid) and M School you get your own. M Track Days are more casual and fun, M School is more hardcore. M Track Days is about experiencing a high performance M car on the track. M School is about how to improve in high performance driving with a bigger emphasis on proper braking, cornering, drifting and recovery techniques. They will more closely instruct your technique and help you improve as a driver. M Track Days are more about pointing you in the right direction with some adjustments to make your experience safe. M School they will push you to the edge of control if they think you show the aptitude. You are paying more for M School and you have way more seat time and thus time to really work the exercises and try them over and over.

IMHO depends on your intentions. If you want to get into tracking your car and really acquire some skills, pony up the extra $500 for the M school. If you just want to have fun and have a taste go to M Track Days. If you REALLY want to up your high performance game skip both and go straight to the 2 Day M School.

M School got me into tracking. I've been hitting HPDE's for almost two years now and I'm in the intermediate/advanced groups, outrunning Porsche GTS's and keeping up with GT3's and track prepped Miatas. My M3 is almost exclusively a track car with light suspension and brake upgrades. Track wheels, racing bucket with half cage and racing harness are the next steps.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11329.50
FaRKle!4006.50
exE36M3487.50
      10-01-2020, 02:31 AM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've done both M Track Days and M School (both 1 and 2 Day).

The major difference between M Track Days and M School is at track days you have to share a car (not sure now since Covid) and M School you get your own. M Track Days are more casual and fun, M School is more hardcore. M Track Days is about experiencing a high performance M car on the track. M School is about how to improve in high performance driving with a bigger emphasis on proper braking, cornering, drifting and recovery techniques. They will more closely instruct your technique and help you improve as a driver. M Track Days are more about pointing you in the right direction with some adjustments to make your experience safe. M School they will push you to the edge of control if they think you show the aptitude. You are paying more for M School and you have way more seat time and thus time to really work the exercises and try them over and over.

IMHO depends on your intentions. If you want to get into tracking your car and really acquire some skills, pony up the extra $500 for the M school. If you just want to have fun and have a taste go to M Track Days. If you REALLY want to up your high performance game skip both and go straight to the 2 Day M School.

M School got me into tracking. I've been hitting HPDE's for almost two years now and I'm in the intermediate/advanced groups, outrunning Porsche GTS's and keeping up with GT3's and track prepped Miatas. My M3 is almost exclusively a track car with light suspension and brake upgrades. Track wheels, racing bucket with half cage and racing harness are the next steps.
Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Growing up only 30 minutes away from Sonoma, been wanting to do a track day on that track with either my F30 or motorcycle for the longest time.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Growing up only 30 minutes away from Sonoma, been wanting to do a track day on that track with either my F30 or motorcycle for the longest time.
Lots of events and schools if you are interested:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/calend...open-track-day

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 2
FastF30521.00
      10-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Lots of events and schools if you are interested:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/calend...open-track-day
Thank you sooo much for this link... I've been looking for a link like this... Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
jmg18658.50
      10-31-2020, 02:25 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

My son and I completed Track Day at Sonoma yesterday. BMW did a great job as always with their evenI nets.

Bottom line: Awesome experience. Totally worth the $495. I'm pretty certain I cost them at least that much in tires, brakes, gas, and wear and tear on the amazing cars they let us drive.

Details:

We got there early so we could street drive a couple of vehicles before our program started. First off was an M850i. The loop they had us drive took 30 minutes so we really got to try out this beast.

Next up was the M760i V12. I never thought a car this big and heavy could be so quick. I would never own a car of this style, but what a pleasure to spend 30 minutes in such a magnificent vehicle.

Then the program started. Our first event was the Sonoma course with an instructor leading a pack with 3 cars behind. My son and I got 4 laps each in an M5 Competition. What a thrill. I though that would be it on the track but no. They then brought out the M8 and we got 4 more laps each in the M8.

I've been around Sonoma as a passenger in a Porsche 911 turbo but never before as a driver. What a great experience.

Next was autocross. They put us in M240i (I think) for this one.

Last event was the short side-by-side drag race with a stopping box at the end. The winner is the car that came to a full stop in the box at the end track first. It was very fun. The best part is they had 7 different vehicles to drive and we got to try each one, including the new X5M Competition.

BMW rented out the whole facility and track for the day. There were no other people or cars anywhere around all day. We had the place to ourselves. What a great experience!

BMW is building some amazing products. To drive them all in the same day was fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
Teego
Registered
Rep
Drives: '99 E3

I did an event like this many years ago and it still ranks as one of the top 5 experiences of my life.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      11-03-2020, 01:37 AM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teego View Post
I did an event like this many years ago and it still ranks as one of the top 5 experiences of my life.
It's been 5 days and I still haven't come down off my cloud. That new M5 competition is simply perfect with the M8 a virtual matcih in performance. To get to drive them on the Sonoma course is something very special. I would never have cars this powerful as daily drivers, but to experience their performance was breathtaking. I can't image what they'd be like in the hands a proper race car driver.

What a day!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:08 AM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
It's been 5 days and I still haven't come down off my cloud. That new M5 competition is simply perfect with the M8 a virtual matcih in performance. To get to drive them on the Sonoma course is something very special. I would never have cars this powerful as daily drivers, but to experience their performance was breathtaking. I can't image what they'd be like in the hands a proper race car driver.

What a day!
Sounds like the bug is biting you! I will say that you don't need an M5 nor an M8 to track. In fact, in my 2 years of tracking I've only come across one M5 and it wasn't nearly as quick as less powerful cars. The M5 and M8 are touring cars, more suitable on the highway or open road, although still fun on the track.

I HAVE seen 3 series, both M and non-M on the track. They are lighter than the M5 and M8 and honestly, being light is more important than being powerful in the corners. I think you would be surprised how exciting your 328i can be on the track with just the proper tires.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like the bug is biting you! I will say that you don't need an M5 nor an M8 to track. In fact, in my 2 years of tracking I've only come across one M5 and it wasn't nearly as quick as less powerful cars. The M5 and M8 are touring cars, more suitable on the highway or open road, although still fun on the track.

I HAVE seen 3 series, both M and non-M on the track. They are lighter than the M5 and M8 and honestly, being light is more important than being powerful in the corners. I think you would be surprised exciting your 328i can be on the track with just the proper tires.
You, of course, are correct. I learned first hand what you are talking about when I rode as a passenger at Sonoma on a track day with a friend who has an AWD Turbo Porsche. We were going around the track at speed with other vehicles. Somebody was in a stripped down Miata and he was keeping up cars with 3 times the horsepower. He'd fall back in the power-on sections and make up for it by being able to brake later and turn like a go kart.
Appreciate 0