F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED bulb in Depo F30 projector headlights
ARMA SPEED

11-01-2020, 02:09 AM   #45
navid0308
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?
First thing I did was place the adapter with the led collar inside like this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=26

Then I connected the led plug into the halogen socket base. Be sure to check the polarity! Finally I tucked the connector inside and just pushed the led in.

The adapter will secure the led collar pretty well. And the led itself will fit very snug into the collar. So once you install it, the gap between the adapter and base of the led will no longer cause the looseness issue. Quote this if you run into more issues. That way I’ll get notified. Good luck!

Last edited by navid0308; 11-01-2020 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #46
Machtkampf
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?
They do work they are just a pain to get on right if you go in with the whole bulb. It will be loose if you do it that way and try to install the whole led at once, My best approach was using only the little removable tab from the bulb and the H7 adapter first. Match them together remove the front tire for more work space and visibility and install it making sure both sides are hooked on tight. I did use nose plyers today on each side to make sure they were real tight in there then slide in the led bulb all the way in no need to twist or anything and u should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:08 AM   #47
navid0308
United_States
Rep

Update: ditching the 360 LEDs!

Hey guys, something that's been bugging me about the 360 degree LEDs is that the beam is not focused. So it looks very bright up front and dim in the distance. I decided to try out the Sylvania ZEVO H7 from autozone after watching this:

I must say, even though this LED is a lot lower power, the actual output is better. The beam is focused and on the road it lights up evenly from infront of the car to the distance, which is how it is supposed to be! I put together a few pics, the ones on the right are with the ZEVO led. You can see that the 360 is super bright up front but the brightness drops off in the distance. This caused me a lot of fatigue trying to look ahead when driving for extended periods at night.

These videos were super educational as well:
1. About Multi-sided/360 LEDs:

2. General info on why LEDs need to be shaped a certain way:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #48
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'm sure the Zevo works well, Sylvania wouldn't sell it otherwise, but I doubt it works better than the LEDs I have that cost 1/3 what the Zevo do. The information in the videos about 360 degree LEDs is useful and accurate, but it's not new. I found similar videos when I was researching LEDs five years ago.

The third video does have some misinformation. They recommend fan heatsinks, which are known to have a high failure rate. Passive heatsinks can't fail. It's true that the highest output LEDs need fan cooling, but the highest output LEDs aren't necessary. Lower output passive cooled LEDs are still on average three times brighter than halogen.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #49
navid0308
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'm sure the Zevo works well, Sylvania wouldn't sell it otherwise, but I doubt it works better than the LEDs I have that cost 1/3 what the Zevo do. The information in the videos about 360 degree LEDs is useful and accurate, but it's not new. I found similar videos when I was researching LEDs five years ago.

The third video does have some misinformation. They recommend fan heatsinks, which are known to have a high failure rate. Passive heatsinks can't fail. It's true that the highest output LEDs need fan cooling, but the highest output LEDs aren't necessary. Lower output passive cooled LEDs are still on average three times brighter than halogen.
I can say that at just 14 watts a bulb, they do the job much better than halogens. Idk a lot about heatsinks but yeah, passive cooled should be more reliable, just less moving parts (the ZEVO's are passive too). All in all, I just wanted to try out a name brand and take the guessing game out of finding a good LED on amazon; I'm glad I did. $100 is steep for some bulbs but peace of mind is priceless haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #50
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Most of the wattages listed for LEDs are fake, to take advantage of the uninformed. Wattage doesn't measure light output, it measures power consumption. Since LEDs are more efficient than incandescent they produce far more light with far less power consumption. One average a 15 watt LED produces as much light output as a 100 watt incandescent.
Appreciate 0