F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valve cover / fuel rail removal
Extreme Powerhouse

11-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
M Pete
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Imola M3 vert, 2014 F31

Valve cover / fuel rail removal

170,000 miles and time for valve cover gaskets I do believe and looking for any first hand experience in this. I have oil seeping from the valve cover (cylinder head cover) which flows backward to the passenger side of course and then gets on the cats. Nothing too big of a deal, I degreased the engine about 4 months ago after having the EGR cooler and intake replaced and just this past week it got to the point that it was giving smoke again. I've been searching around and do not see any DIY videos or anything. I have read through the TIS and it seem pretty straight forward but two parts have me a little concerned both deal with the fuel lines.

The TIS says that to remove the fuel pressure accumulator you have to remove the intake because the line which goes from the high pressure pump to the accumulator is between the intake and block (of course it is, WTF?). To remove the fuel pressure accumulator do you really have to remove that line or is there play in it so you can just get it out of the way?

Second is removing the rigid lines from the injectors. Will regular line wrenches do? I see that there is a special BMW tool (of course there is as always, WTF?). Second-second the TIS does not mention a procedure for releasing the pressure in the fuel lines. Just crack them open and catch what you can I guess?

My mechanic recommended replacing the entire valve cover, he said that since it is plastic they tend to warp. Has anyone had this happen? I would assume that just changing the gaskets would be good. It is a difference between ~$30 and ~$450 for parts.

I guess that was three things.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #2
EC1M
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, C6

Also would like a DIY if anyone has one. Thanks
Appreciate 0