F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 520d M Sport Touring v E220d Estate
Extreme Powerhouse

12-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #45
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
First the first two years I'll be driving either the Merc/520d or the X3 M40i depending on what Mr TP is doing. At the moment his X3 is over on mileage where is should be, but as he's working from home it's slowly coming back with target. Then who ever is driving the furthest that day will take the Merc/520d.

In any case, when the X3 goes back in about 24 months I'll replace it with what I want and Mr TP will drive the Merc/520d as his car.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!
You're set on the Merc lease then? No 5 Series pcp from Park Lane? Did you get some figures?
Still waiting for them to come back. Normally she replies really quickly so I can only assume she's off.

I'm really torn between the two! I do like the 5 especially like the one in the picture I posted. Not a massive fan of the digital dials though. Just had a new 3 for 2 days whilst mine was being MOT'd and brakes etc. I felt they were a bit fussy and not easy to read. I guess you get used to them. And new Idrive is impressive and it's what I know.

But that's part of the problem. After 7-8 years of BMWs and we still have the X3 for another 2, I'm just interested in a change. If I don't like the Merc I can still drive the X3.

I guess it will come down to the numbers PL come back to me with.
I was going to post along the lines of it being worth trying another brand after three or more BMWs on the trot. Along the lines of what you said yourself.

The 5 does look better to my eye, but it's marginal, both long estates and if you like that kind of thing they are both decent.

Merc interiors aren't my thing, but in the right colour choice and spec I imagine an E could be pretty nice. I sat in a E and a C in the dealership a couple of years back and the E felt good, the C like the inside of a wheelie bin decorated like a nightclub. Quite a quality gulf.

I'd want a good test drive though, four pot diesel is going to be quite a step away from the B58. And diesels often start ok before adding noise with miles. IMHO.

In most ways I think the 5 edges the E, but I go back to that point about a change of brand being interesting in and of itself.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18759.00
mcoops1757.00
      12-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #46
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
First the first two years I'll be driving either the Merc/520d or the X3 M40i depending on what Mr TP is doing. At the moment his X3 is over on mileage where is should be, but as he's working from home it's slowly coming back with target. Then who ever is driving the furthest that day will take the Merc/520d.

In any case, when the X3 goes back in about 24 months I'll replace it with what I want and Mr TP will drive the Merc/520d as his car.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!
You're set on the Merc lease then? No 5 Series pcp from Park Lane? Did you get some figures?
Still waiting for them to come back. Normally she replies really quickly so I can only assume she's off.

I'm really torn between the two! I do like the 5 especially like the one in the picture I posted. Not a massive fan of the digital dials though. Just had a new 3 for 2 days whilst mine was being MOT'd and brakes etc. I felt they were a bit fussy and not easy to read. I guess you get used to them. And new Idrive is impressive and it's what I know.

But that's part of the problem. After 7-8 years of BMWs and we still have the X3 for another 2, I'm just interested in a change. If I don't like the Merc I can still drive the X3.

I guess it will come down to the numbers PL come back to me with.
I was going to post along the lines of it being worth trying another brand after three or more BMWs on the trot. Along the lines of what you said yourself.

The 5 does look better to my eye, but it's marginal, both long estates and if you like that kind of thing they are both decent.

Merc interiors aren't my thing, but in the right colour choice and spec I imagine an E could be pretty nice. I sat in a E and a C in the dealership a couple of years back and the E felt good, the C like the inside of a wheelie bin decorated like a nightclub. Quite a quality gulf.

I'd want a good test drive though, four pot diesel is going to be quite a step away from the B58. And diesels often start ok before adding noise with miles. IMHO.

In most ways I think the 5 edges the E, but I go back to that point about a change of brand being interesting in and of itself.
I noticed the difference in performance today !

As I said, last few days I've been in a 320d loan car. Nice and handles well but pulling onto the A14 with a short slip road I really noticed the lack of power! Also another road where there's a long straight I put my foot down and there just wasn't the same feeling. Actually seemed slow.

But.. we'll be keeping the X3 M40i for another of years for my B58 needs!
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18759.00
      12-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

I think, as always, that’s a very reasoned post. I never buy the same car twice, rarely the same brand, change is as good as a rest and all that.

And as it seems estate space and long distance comfort seem high up on the list of requirements, I would be going E class if all other things are equal..
Appreciate 3
Harryg276.00
      12-04-2020, 12:08 AM   #48
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Seriously, the E Class interior is absolutely stunning and bares only a passing resemblance to that in the A and C Class. The level of quality and feel of the interior is streets ahead. This is a pic of the pre-facelift. Just make sure you avoid the piano black and go for the matt black!

I would say that the new 3er interior is better than that of the 5er, but that's probably because I prefer the look.

As for the screens.. it's only one on the E if you spec it properly and make sure you do. A couple of days and you'll really love the way it presents its information and how customisable it is.

Last edited by DougMcL; 12-04-2020 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:18 AM   #49
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Seriously, the E Class interior is absolutely stunning and bares only a passing resemblance to that in the A and C Class. The level of quality and feel of the interior is streets ahead. This is a pic of the pre-facelift. Just make sure you avoid the piano black and go for the matt black!

I would say that the new 3er interior is better than that of the 5er, but that's probably because I prefer the look.

As for the screens.. it's only one on the E if you spec it properly and make sure you do. A couple of days and you'll really love the way it presents its information and how customisable it is.
Absolutely, there is no contest the Merc wins hands down here, the interior is absolute quality, it seems the BMW fanboys can’t get their head around this, unfortunately for them the rest of the world seems to agree

The BMW interiors are cheap and drab in comparison, this is the place that BMW always seem to let themselves down.

Last edited by Broncho; 12-04-2020 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 02:28 AM   #50
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:

This is all spot on IMO.

I would say that having moved from a 4 to a 5 series, they feel very different from one another when you take all parts of the experience into account, so I would not worry about that. However you are unmistakably in a recent-model BMW cabin environment, and only you know if that's a good thing. I am with Rich on on not being sold on Merc interiors from a tech and aesthetic point of view. I like things a bit more restrained. But the E class feels premium inside, no question, so if you like the styling, why not?

EDIT: I also agree with Doug that the matt wood effect in the E makes a huge difference - much classier than lots of gloss black, but again ETTO.

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #51
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

To give a different point of view...

Back in late 2017 we had an E220d estate and a 520d touring for 4 days each on consecutive weekends.

We had the 5 first and absolutely loved it, although not the engine we went for it was still very refined and objectively powerful enough. The interior comfortable, and the boot far bigger than what we had before (C class). We drove this car about 500 miles over those 4 days.

We were very excited about the E coming the following weekend. I didn't really want two BMWs on the drive, and we were expecting an even nicer interior based on the pictures.

The reality couldn't have been more different. The drivetrain was lacklustre, but fine. The interior was woeful. Really really bad. Chintzy and uncomfortable, and not at all luxurious. The demo car wasn't very highly specified, so it's possible (probable even) that this gets better with options. We drove this car a total of 20 miles on one trip, then left it on the drive until collection 3 days later in favour of the other cars. That has never happened before or since, as usually the novelty factor of driving something else is enough to keep me in it regardless.

Don't take for granted the Merc will be nicer in reality based on pictures and reputation. Make sure you drive the actual cars before coming close to a decision.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #52
DougMcL
Major
Rep

I've had an E class coupe and it isn't in the least chintzy. I like BMW interiors (a lot) but this definitely trumps it. Friend of mine had the E220d saloon from 2016 but chopped it in for a 2019 220d coupe and said that they had improved the engine no end. The interior of his coupe is lovely with cognac leather (saddle in Merc speak I think)

I actually like the standard car which comes with matt black ash trim and black alcantara seat centres. If you can get premium plus pack which has matrix leds and a pan roof.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #53
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I've had an E class coupe and it isn't in the least chintzy. I like BMW interiors (a lot) but this definitely trumps it. Friend of mine had the E220d saloon from 2016 but chopped it in for a 2019 220d coupe and said that they had improved the engine no end. The interior of his coupe is lovely with cognac leather (saddle in Merc speak I think)

I actually like the standard car which comes with matt black ash trim and black alcantara seat centres. If you can get premium plus pack which has matrix leds and a pan roof.
Mine has the black ash and alcantara centres, the car is just a very beautiful thing, Merc build very pretty big coupes and cabriolets.
Appreciate 1
DougMcL787.00
      12-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #54
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Agreed Broncho. The coupe was just a bit bloated for me and I didn't like the air suspension. Just felt a bit disconnected for me. Nice V6 3.0l lump though I believe Merc are going back to straight sixes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #55
DougMcL
Major
Rep

C Class vs new 3er. As said before, C is a glorified wheelie bin. The CLA is ok but a bit garish. Drives nicely though. I would say that the new G20 beats EVERYTHING else in the class. It's a lovely car. I've just bought one.

Have you considered a new 3 series touring TP? It's a lovely thing. Nicer than the 5er by all accounts. Try the 330e. Hybrid tech is absolutely amazing. I get at least 25 miles on pure electric out of mine.

E Class vs 5er. No contest. The E is like a proper old Merc.

Not sure about the new S class.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #56
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
C Class vs new 3er. As said before, C is a glorified wheelie bin. The CLA is ok but a bit garish. Drives nicely though. I would say that the new G20 beats EVERYTHING else in the class. It's a lovely car. I've just bought one.

Have you considered a new 3 series touring TP? It's a lovely thing. Nicer than the 5er by all accounts. Try the 330e. Hybrid tech is absolutely amazing. I get at least 25 miles on pure electric out of mine.

The 3 is just too small. We've got two German Shepherds, both boys, one is 55ish kg and the other 45ish kg. I had a F31 before the 440i and they could only just fit in. Even the X3 which is bigger, isn't big enough.

We like to get away with them down to Dorset or Devon and over to the coast, and in the X3 they don't have the space to lay down properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13504.50
mcoops1757.00
Harryg276.00
      12-05-2020, 04:09 AM   #57
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I've had several 5 estates but not the latest. All class acts. Never had an E estate but had a C estate many years ago. I remember the build quality being amazing.
You can't go wrong with either, of course, TP, both great load luggers and ideal for big dogs. The new Merc 2L diesel gets very good reviews, smooth and quiet, tipping the BMW in a few. Both good looking cars in the right colours, imo, and I'm.not sure red is one of them . I think the biggest differentiator is the interior. The BMW is more conservative and sober, more 'teutonic' as the journos would doubtless put it. The Merc is more showy, but I don't think it's tacky, having sat in one as a passenger a few times on some long journeys. The nightime ambience is pretty nice too.
The Merc deal is very good, so I'd probably go for it.
      12-05-2020, 05:13 AM   #58
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Went in a new e class not that long ago and they are nice. Once over the wow factor of the screens though not sure if its better than an lci 5er. Exterior is bloated looking though.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:24 AM   #59
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I've had several 5 estates but not the latest. All class acts. Never had an E estate but had a C estate many years ago. I remember the build quality being amazing.
You can't go wrong with either, of course, TP, both great load luggers and ideal for big dogs. The new Merc 2L diesel gets very good reviews, smooth and quiet, tipping the BMW in a few. Both good looking cars in the right colours, imo, and I'm.not sure red is one of them . I think the biggest differentiator is the interior. The BMW is more conservative and sober, more 'teutonic' as the journos would doubtless put it. The Merc is more showy, but I don't think it's tacky, having sat in one as a passenger a few times on some long journeys. The nightime ambience is pretty nice too.
The Merc deal is very good, so I'd probably go for it.
I know colour is very subjective.

I hate dull colours, my distain for grey is well known on here!

I do like that Mercedes red, the pictures I've shown don't show it in the best light.

I am also considering black or a very dark blue but I generally like brighter colours.

Unfortunately BMW's colour choice on the 5 is appalling and very limited.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18759.00
      12-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #60
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The 3 is just too small. We've got two German Shepherds, both boys, one is 55ish kg and the other 45ish kg. I had a F31 before the 440i and they could only just fit in. Even the X3 which is bigger, isn't big enough.

We like to get away with them down to Dorset or Devon and over to the coast, and in the X3 they don't have the space to lay down properly.

beautiful well looked after dogs. My practice nurse had one called shadow which looked like your all black one. what a beauty he was
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #61
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Agreed BMW colours are so dull! I'm not sure I would buy the metallic Hyacinth again though!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13504.50
      12-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #62
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed BMW colours are so dull! I'm not sure I would buy the metallic Hyacinth again though!
Only downside for me would be saying my car is Hyacinth red! Shit name for it. Might just stick with metallic red!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #63
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Only downside for me would be saying my car is Hyacinth red! Shit name for it. Might just stick with metallic red!
I think I like the black version, makes a bit closer in looks to that 5 series to me. Colour is definitely subjective though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #64
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

You are so right colours are subjective but to me that Merc in black looks like a hearse
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #65
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
You are so right colours are subjective but to me that Merc in black looks like a hearse
Proof there indeed, to me it looks stealthy, and the one I saw in person looked even more purposeful. The red one looks a little bit, erm, old man sensible to me. But, then it is a 2 litre diesel Mercedes estate, so maybe that’s a good fit.

The BMW looks really good. But in that spec with those wheels, is it trying to be something it’s not?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #66
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

The Merc looks really good in that colour!
Appreciate 0