F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Possible MINI Cooper S 5Dr purchase
GetBMWParts

12-04-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Possible MINI Cooper S 5Dr purchase

Thinking of a MINI cooper S for Mrs Moonshine... (thoughts & Advice please)
it will be used / nearly new (not buying new again - loses too much!) we are cash buyer withher existing car as PX - she will keep this for a long time -

Mrs Moonshine currently has a 10yr old e87 120D Msport with full leather, sunroof and 55k miles on it that she has had for 8 yrs - which she likes , but it is getting on - its a 3 dr, which is usually OK - as i have a MB C Class Wagon - and we have no kids - only a cocker spaniel. but tbh, a 5dr car would be so much more practical for day today stuff like going shopping - and putting the groceries in the back seet and keeping the wet dog in the boot.#

the 120D is euro4, so will need to get changed at some point anyway - we don't think EV are well enough established and tech will improve a lot in the upcoming years, so think early adopters will lose out, plus they are ££££ at the moment, so going to stay ICE.

Wife is not a petrolhead or fashion concious - but wants safe / comfy - short commute (6-7 miles) so petrol. (cooper S is my preference over the Cooper)

It needs to be auto
F&R PDC, sports heated seats are the must haves - everything else is nice, but not essential. she is partially deaf, so good Ho-Fi not essential!!
she will keep this for a long time -

ive seen an Approved MINI Cooper S (in white with black roof) for £23k, £5k miles - all the options available - (JCW pack, part leather, Nav plus pack, comfort Plus pack, HUD etc)

What are the thoughts on this for cost? its maybe a couple of grand more than we were planning - but if we get £4k for the PX, we are looking at £19k to change. i'd rather pay a bit more to get a fully optioned one than a poverty spec.

i configured a new one on the MINI builder and it was £31.5k -

What are the current MINI discounts like? reg is YC69, so 12 months old, soi guess it is likely to be an ex demo or fleet car?

any thoughts or comments?

Last edited by moonshine; 12-04-2020 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

If it's YC plate it's most likely to be ex BMW Fleet (GU14 postcode on the plate). Sounds a nice car!
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport

Last edited by Ronstein; 12-04-2020 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      12-04-2020, 03:21 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I like Minis a lot and a 5 door Cooper S seems a very good choice to me. I do think that £23k sounds high for a 1 year old though although I'm not aware of the best deals at the moment.

If you or your wife are eligible for the BMW Forces scheme (the eligibility includes NHS, teachers, and family) then you can get a £4,700 discount off a new one if you take a PCP and of course you have the right to pay it off within 14 days to make it a cash purchase. This one is manual, but I expect it applies to auto too

https://www.bmw-ukforces.co.uk/pcp-c...op-278916-3949
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      12-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #4
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I like Minis a lot and a 5 door Cooper S seems a very good choice to me. I do think that £23k sounds high for a 1 year old though although I'm not aware of the best deals at the moment.

If you or your wife are eligible for the BMW Forces scheme (the eligibility includes NHS, teachers, and family) then you can get a £4,700 discount off a new one if you take a PCP and of course you have the right to pay it off within 14 days to make it a cash purchase. This one is manual, but I expect it applies to auto too

https://www.bmw-ukforces.co.uk/pcp-c...op-278916-3949
She is an NHS surgeon, so would be eligable. - i'll investigate.
23k seems high to me, but it is fully loaded - new list would be £31.5 if ordered at same spec, so that would drop a new one to 27k with the discount. so still 4k more expensive)
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      12-04-2020, 04:58 AM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
23k seems high to me, but it is fully loaded - new list would be £31.5 if ordered at same spec, so that would drop a new one to 27k with the discount. so still 4k more expensive)
Have you considered a Clubman? We just went through the same process with the wife and she decided the Clubman felt and looked a bit more premium, and prices aren’t much different.

This 19 plate is only £18.5k and not far from you?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...tion=on&page=1

Edit. Apologies, missed the auto part.....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:18 AM   #6
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I would give the Clubman a miss and go for something a bit better looking and far classier

Appreciate 2
moonshine849.00
Paddy1975198.00
      12-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #7
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Have you considered a Clubman? We just went through the same process with the wife and she decided the Clubman felt and looked a bit more premium, and prices aren’t much different.

This 19 plate is only £18.5k and not far from you?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...tion=on&page=1

Edit. Apologies, missed the auto part.....
yip, we have thought about a Clubman S and it is a possbility too -
(that one is manual as you say and has no heated seats - so out)
there are fewer locally to choose from though - and we don't really need the Clubman size - we have the C Class estate and a 6m Ducato cmpervan that we use if we go on longer journeys with bikes etc. the 5 door is really for convenience - the rear viz on the clubman is a bit comprimised due to the double door and i'm uncertain it looks as good . i'll look at it though.

WHat are peoples thoughts between the Clubman S and the Cooper S 5door? from a driving poit of view?

£18-19k is more what i would like to spend - not because we can't go higher - we are just a bit careful with our cash - but we have enough in savings, so we can spend a bit more if it is worth it / to get the right car

it is cheaper to spend more and get it right than to skimp and need to change due to regret.

Last edited by moonshine; 12-04-2020 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #8
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Given that you can choose the options you actually want, you may come in some way below £31.5k list. The £4.7k is a discount from base spec, so hopefully should be a little higher for a car with options. I think you'll be within 2 or 3 thousand difference to have a brand new car built to your specification.

Bear in mind as Goneinsixtyseconds and others have discovered, Park Lane BMW (who operate this scheme) may try it on a little as you add options, but if you're on the ball and point it out, they seem to get to a much more sensible position.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
there are fewer locally to choose from though - and we don't really need the Clubman size - we have the C Class estate and a 6m Ducato cmpervan that we use if we go on longer journeys with bikes etc. the 5 door is really for convenience - the rear viz on the clubman is a bit comprimised due to the double door and i'm uncertain it looks as good . i'll look at it though.

WHat are peoples thoughts between the Clubman S and the Cooper S 5door? from a driving poit of view?

£18-19k is more what i would like to spend - not because we can't go higher - we are just a bit careful with our cash - but we have enough in savings, so we can spend a bit more if it is worth it / to get the right car

it is cheaper to spend more and get it right than to skimp and need to change due to regret.
Question, do you need an S? I find my standard Cooper perfectly adequate for everyday driving - although it’s a manual. Get a standard Cooper with the JCW sport kit outside and it looks great. And obviously a couple of grand cheaper to buy ...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #10
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Having driven both there is very little difference.

The Clubman isn’t a big car, it’s dimensions are similar to the 1 series you are getting rid of, or a Golf etc. It is styled like a mini estate, but the size isn’t huge and the boot is only Golf sized.

Personally I like that it looks longer and to my eye lower because of that, with a sportier presence too. But, that is completely subjective and you may feel differently.

The rear visibility does have a door upright in the middle of it, but with a window either side it doesn’t really bother us. It doesn’t really stop you seeing out of the back.

Probably better to try one of each and look at them next to each other and decide for yourself.

Ian obviously doesn’t like them as per his post above, but by his own admission, his taste is often a bit obscure/non existent and his usual comments are that he doesn’t care about looks. I generally do, and I accept Mini’s and the Clubman are a bit marmite, but I like them personally.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 12-04-2020 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      12-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Having driven both there is very little difference.

The Clubman isn’t a big car, it’s dimensions are similar to the 1 series you are getting rid of, or a Golf etc. It is styled like a mini estate, but the size isn’t huge and the boot is only Golf sized.

Personally I like that it looks longer and to my eye lower because of that, with a sportier presence too. But, that is completely subjective and you may feel differently.

The rear viability does have a door upright in the middle of it, but with a window either side it doesn’t really bother us. It doesn’t really stop you seeing out of the back.

Probably better to try one of each and look at them next to each other and decide for yourself.

Ian obviously doesn’t like them as per his post above, but by his own admission, his taste is often a bit obscure/non existent and his usual comments are that he doesn’t care about looks. I generally do, and I accept Mini’s and the Clubman are a bit marmite, but I like them personally.
Excuse me, I don’t mind the Clubman, prefer the 3 door to look at over all but you have to compromise on looks sometimes..

I was more wondering whether in the 5 door a normal Cooper would do, if it’s mainly a commuter car....

I am up north now so watch out for a tasteless white and black Audi if you are out and about 😉
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #12
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Excuse me, I don’t mind the Clubman, prefer the 3 door to look at over all but you have to compromise on looks sometimes..

I was more wondering whether in the 5 door a normal Cooper would do, if it’s mainly a commuter car....

I am up north now so watch out for a tasteless white and black Audi if you are out and about 😉
I luv my Audi and as they say to me Arsehole Usually Driving It
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #13
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Question, do you need an S? I find my standard Cooper perfectly adequate for everyday driving - although it’s a manual. Get a standard Cooper with the JCW sport kit outside and it looks great. And obviously a couple of grand cheaper to buy ...
No. We don’t “need” an S
But i guess would we miss the ooomff from a diesel 178hp 120D to a 134hp Cooper? Possibly... and you can never have too much POWERRRRR!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I am up north now so watch out for a tasteless white and black Audi if you are out and about ��
I have a 5 door petrol Cooper today (my Cooper D is in for the day) and it feels a little underpowered to me, even though it's a faster car on paper than my 5 door Cooper D. It's the lack of low down torque and the need to rev it which makes it feel like that. I expect once I am used to it, it will be fine. Weirdly it appears to have no satnav and it's absolutely brand new - 70 plate with 40 miles on the clock. I know Mini are a bit mean, but is satnav really still an optional extra?

Given that the OP's wife is coming from a 120d, I suspect she may feel the same and prefer a Cooper S.
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      12-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #15
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

We bought a Cooper SD 5 door for my wife back in 2014, pretty much just as they were launched. I always thought they were a good looking car, and the variety of options means you can spec a new one very nicely to personal taste.

We sold it after less then a couple of years, mainly as it made more sense at the time for me to take a company car, but also because my wife never really gelled with it. She had got used to BMWs, so we thought that using the same idrive system would make for helpful familiarity. However there were fundamental differences in how the mini cabin is designed compared to a RWD BMW that makes you feel a little more perched up, rather than snug and cocooned like a BMW. And then the seats themselves lacked the comfort and adjustability that we had got used to with electric memory seats. Probably not a major issue for a low mileage commuting car, but was more of an issue for my wife on her long commute at the time.

That led us down the diesel route at that time, and it was a good engine, but I remember that the petrol version was a lot more fun to drive when we test drove them back then, so I think it's definitely the right choice for you.

The ride on runflats was firm too, though I think you could spec non-runflats, so perhaps worth checking what any used car has.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have a 5 door petrol Cooper today (my Cooper D is in for the day) and it feels a little underpowered to me, even though it's a faster car on paper than my 5 door Cooper D. It's the lack of low down torque and the need to rev it which makes it feel like that. I expect once I am used to it, it will be fine. Weirdly it appears to have no satnav and it's absolutely brand new - 70 plate with 40 miles on the clock. I know Mini are a bit mean, but is satnav really still an optional extra?

Given that the OP's wife is coming from a 120d, I suspect she may feel the same and prefer a Cooper S.
No sat nav in mine but Garmin does the job.. probably better than the In built system!

I guess the petrol does have less low down torque and you use the gears a bit more - no issue in an auto...

Was just thinking £19k would get a nicely specced Cooper versus a less well specced S and Minis need a nice spec... but yesanSis preferable if funds allow. Never diesel, Mini should be petrol. And about the drive not the power.

Mine has non run flats, ride is still firm on 17s...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 12-04-2020 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      12-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #17
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Apologies, it wasn’t your post, ha ha, my bad. But, you do say all that other stuff!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      12-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #18
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Get those lights on, the thick snow flakes up here might make you hard to spot!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      12-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #19
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No sat nav in mine but Garmin does the job.. probably better than the In built system!

I guess the petrol does have less low down torque and you use the gears a bit more - no issue in an auto...

Was just thinking £19k would get a nicely specced Cooper versus a less well specced S and Minis need a nice spec... but yesanSis preferable if funds allow. Never diesel, Mini should be petrol. And about the drive not the power.

Mine has non run flats, ride is still firm on 17s...
Totally agree that a Mini should be petrol. I bought this Cooper D for my (now ex) other half. She had an aversion to filling up her cars and the range is a lot better so it was less of a chore for me. That said, I rather like the Cooper D engine - worryingly out of balance on startup, but surprisingly smooth and torquey in brisk driving.

As the day has gone on, I have been reminding myself to stay in lower gears in this petrol Cooper and I'm enjoying it more. I'd still choose the S (or JCW) though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree that a Mini should be petrol. I bought this Cooper D for my (now ex) other half. She had an aversion to filling up her cars and the range is a lot better so it was less of a chore for me. That said, I rather like the Cooper D engine - worryingly out of balance on startup, but surprisingly smooth and torquey in brisk driving.

As the day has gone on, I have been reminding myself to stay in lower gears in this petrol Cooper and I'm enjoying it more. I'd still choose the S (or JCW) though.
If we’re upselling the Clubman JCW is brilliant. And with discount ours was just over £28k brand new, although we took the pcp.

Heated seats and much more as standard, don’t need to add much, comfort plus is standard.

And the speed is great, very un Mini like.

The awd as standard is what convinced my wife. Might be worth a try on a snowy Scottish day like today....
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      12-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If we’re upselling the Clubman JCW is brilliant. And with discount ours was just over £28k brand new, although we took the pcp.

Heated seats and much more as standard, don’t need to add much, comfort plus is standard.

And the speed is great, very un Mini like.

The awd as standard is what convinced my wife. Might be worth a try on a snowy Scottish day like today....
I regret not taking that deal - the Clubman JCW does sound very appealing, but having just replaced my other car in June, I didn't 'need' a second new toy just yet. I might still get one at some point though.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it - I can imagine 306hp and awd, combined with a decent Mini chassis, being very entertaining!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #22
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I regret not taking that deal - the Clubman JCW does sound very appealing, but having just replaced my other car in June, I didn't 'need' a second new toy just yet. I might still get one at some point though.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it - I can imagine 306hp and awd, combined with a decent Mini chassis, being very entertaining!
It is, I had a blast through Derbyshire at night a week or so ago. My mum lives out there, essential travel....

It was brilliant fun. Although I was annoyed by one thing at night. The engine really needs to be used with paddles when pushing on, they make the car feel alive. But, no automatic high beam assist is annoying. Changing gear with the paddles, whilst at the same time pushing and pulling full beam on and off confuses my brain. Only a small complaint.

I’d rather not have the standard comfort access and reversing camera, and swap them for full beam assist if I could.
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
moonshine849.00