F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Connected Classic App
Extreme Powerhouse

02-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
meadcd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive, NBT retrofit

BMW Connected Classic App

Hi All -
Just installed an NBT Retrofit courtesy of Steve Ma at CodeMyBimmer.ca - Thanks Steve! He hooked me up; he will take care of you.

I attempted to use BMW Connect and discovered that it now requires an active subscription. So I tried to get BMW Connected Classic only to find it's not in the US App store any longer.

I was able to get it by switching to the Canada App store.

To do this, on iOS 11:

1) Open Settings
2) Open Apple ID/iCloud/iTunes & App Store
3) Open iTunes & App Store
4) Click Apple ID, then "View Apple ID"
5) Click Country/Region
6) Click Change Country or Region
7) Agree to terms and Conditions
8) You will be asked for a payment method. Set it to None, then choose a street, city, province, and post code in Canada. I used Front St, Toronto, ON, M3C 0C1, and my own phone number. You'll be warned that your account will be asked for payment the first time it's needed ... click through that.

You'll then be in the updated country's app store, and can get BMW Connected Classic.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
meadcd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive, NBT retrofit

Update - Nope

While i successfully installed the App, it doesn't work. The "More Apps" section doesn't populate, and every time i start the Classic app it tries to push me to the new BMW Connected app.

I can't get that to work because in 2014 BMW upgraded the technology for BMW Assist to support 4G cellular connections, and I currently don't have that module installed.

Apparently, in the US now, in order to get this to work properly, you need that updated BMW Assist (i would assume telematics?) module, and the subscription to BMW Connected.

FFT for anyone considering.

FWIW I would not go back on the NBT upgrade - it's still phenomenal. If you use the BMW Connected App, you can still use the other applications, just not the remote features of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadcd View Post
While i successfully installed the App, it doesn't work. The "More Apps" section doesn't populate, and every time i start the Classic app it tries to push me to the new BMW Connected app.

I can't get that to work because in 2014 BMW upgraded the technology for BMW Assist to support 4G cellular connections, and I currently don't have that module installed.

Apparently, in the US now, in order to get this to work properly, you need that updated BMW Assist (i would assume telematics?) module, and the subscription to BMW Connected.

FFT for anyone considering.

FWIW I would not go back on the NBT upgrade - it's still phenomenal. If you use the BMW Connected App, you can still use the other applications, just not the remote features of the car.
I have both and it still doesn't work! Gave up on it honestly as it's too much of a pain anyway...should be right in the damn system. If GM and Cadillac got it right back in 2012, BMW sure in hell can!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0