F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
Studio RSR

01-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #111
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Real carbon fiber trim FTW.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #112
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

True, but for the saved money I was able to buy my real CF canards
As soon as the weather outside becomes more dry and above 0 degrees they would be installed.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #113
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post
Real carbon fiber trim FTW.
Real carbon anything is always going to be badass haha.

But at the cost of $40 and a few hours of time, compared to the cost of real CF trim ($400+ I presume for non OEM and $800 for OEM M Perf?), there is no contest.

I get so much enjoyment with the look of my interior vinyl trim that I would be pretty pissed off at myself for wasting money on real CF if I had gone that route (although i really do like the M perf CF/Alcantara combo).

With that said, I feel differently about exterior pieces. I would get reat CF over vinyl wrapping in CF pattern.

To each their own
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #114
jwlc80
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hi guys,

For the center dash piece (where the aircon ducts are), do you guys fold back the CF wrap? Or do you use a knife to slice off the wrap where it ends?

I'm intending to wrap the whole piece (including the accent lines) but I was wondering whether it'll be better to fold back the wrap around the aircon duct holes or simply slice the wrap along the border.

Pros and cons of either way i suppose. If I slice the wrap along the border, the cuts might not be smooth along the lines. If I fold it back, it might get tricky wrapping around the inner curves and end up with some ripples on the wrap (I already has some problems with the curves on the door handles so not sure I'll be good enough here).

Advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #115
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I was initially intending to wrap the full piece as well including the accent line. However after fully wrapping it, I felt it didn't look right. It actually looked really weird and not how I imagined it. Unfortunately you can't separate the vent piece and accent piece (at least not easily) so the best way to do it would be to take a really sharp knife, and slowly cut it at the trim.

As for your door handles and for all all the pieces, the key is to heat the vinyl until it's soft and pull/stretch it around curves and edges. You will find it extremely difficult to wrap around edges and curves smoothly of you are trying to simply cover it without stretching it around. You gotta seriously pull and stretch it.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlc80 View Post
Hi guys,

For the center dash piece (where the aircon ducts are), do you guys fold back the CF wrap? Or do you use a knife to slice off the wrap where it ends?

I'm intending to wrap the whole piece (including the accent lines) but I was wondering whether it'll be better to fold back the wrap around the aircon duct holes or simply slice the wrap along the border.

Pros and cons of either way i suppose. If I slice the wrap along the border, the cuts might not be smooth along the lines. If I fold it back, it might get tricky wrapping around the inner curves and end up with some ripples on the wrap (I already has some problems with the curves on the door handles so not sure I'll be good enough here).

Advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #116
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

As here wasnt enough information written, to do right and avoid other mistakes we did.
I couldnt suggest you to wrap the whole center trim piece, because the little stepnose at the connecting zone of the accent and the silver piece looks really disturbing for my taste. The longer you'll look at it, the more you'll get annoyed I bet.
As already written, a razorsharp knife, a hairdryer and patience are your very best friends.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #117
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I

As promised, the pictures of my interior. >,<
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #118
f30bmw335
Instagram: f30bmw335
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xdrive

Subscribing
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #119
Kfc2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335ix; 12 328I; 87 325IS

Wrapped the lever trim as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #120
Kfc2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335ix; 12 328I; 87 325IS

Light switch
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #121
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Lever trim looks good wrapped. Light switch surround looks a bit much imo. I wrapped that too and think about removing it everytime I get in the car haha.

Looks unbalanced only wrapping the section below the silver accent left of the steering wheel and not to the right (trim around the center area where all the heat function and other buttons are) . And wrapping that section will be major carbon wrap overkill.

I had quite a bit of extra wrap left and was thinking about wrapping every little piece I could find. But after wrapping that light switch, I stopped cuz it was getting too much lol
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:34 AM   #122
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post
As promised, the pictures of my interior. >,<
Not bad, as someone whos knowing the weak spots to fail let me tell you my impressions: Center trim: Few scratches and frizzled borders at the junction to the glossy frame. Side trim: Scratch at upper part. Door handle: Blister at lower corner, upper side. Middle trim: Well done, nothing to complain
Dont take this as serious critics, just the way it appears at first sight.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:36 AM   #123
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfc2 View Post
Wrapped the lever trim as well
If you had watched the waving of the CF wrap and putted it on at the same way on all parts, 100 Points

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #124
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Not bad, as someone whos knowing the weak spots to fail let me tell you my impressions: Center trim: Few scratches and frizzled borders at the junction to the glossy frame. Side trim: Scratch at upper part. Door handle: Blister at lower corner, upper side. Middle trim: Well done, nothing to complain
Dont take this as serious critics, just the way it appears at first sight.
Thank you =D,
This was my first time doing a wrap so it wasn't that good, but it's okay for now. After doing it, I decided on getting the M performance interior trim kit +D.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #125
crashtwo
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

Is it easy to place the vinyl?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #126
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

It is, if you havent two left hands, patience and the right tools. The rest is written here into the thread and should answer all questions.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #127
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
It is, if you havent two left hands, patience and the right tools. The rest is written here into the thread and should answer all questions.
Definitely correct. The trim pieces aren't as hard to take off, as long as you have the right tools, and patience as Dang3r said.
I just wish I knew some things before like when taking off the door handles there are little grooves where you can put your trim removal tool in and gently pry out to take off the handle pieces. Also when taking out the top center trim, it is helpful if you have someone holding it while you take off the clips as you need to use a small tool to gently remove the clip.
Other than that, like Dang3r said, its all listed on this thread.
I am currently happy with the work I did, but I made couple mistakes like the scratches that Dang3r mentioned so I decided to just purchase the M performance carbon fiber trim in a couple months. =D
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #128
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Well, one of the thorns into my eyes where the high glossy radiopanel, where all kind of fingerprints and dustflakes are highly visible and whats more: I found it really looking cheap.
So I'd decided to do something special, also to continue with the CF interior, but this time its not wrapped, but real CF. A special manufactured panel helped me out and I am really pleased with the result.

Panel out of the box:

Radio and Climatequadrant before:

CF panel backside 3M pretaped:

Fitcheck:

Result:

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #129
MannyJD
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

I've seen a few people post that it doesn't work out to cover the colored trim portion of the big center dash piece....does anyone have any pictures of when they tried it? I'm not a huge fan of mine being blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #130
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

No, and if you're knowing the kind of fixtures of the colored bar at the center- and sidepanel you wouldn't ask
Serious: The accentlines are fixed with heat melted pins from the rear, you have to cut the top to release the line...and having not enough material to melt the line back again. Thats the major problem. Fixture with small screws are also not an option caused by too small studs from the rear side.
I would recommend you an airbrush decor from a painter pro. At this point I like to say thats its nearly (not almost) impossible to change the colored lines.
Maybe change the completed panels with an other user who wants blue?

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #131
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r
Well, one of the thorns into my eyes where the high glossy radiopanel, where all kind of fingerprints and dustflakes are highly visible and whats more: I found it really looking cheap.
So I'd decided to do something special, also to continue with the CF interior, but this time its not wrapped, but real CF. A special manufactured panel helped me out and I am really pleased with the result.

Panel out of the box:

Radio and Climatequadrant before:

CF panel backside 3M pretaped:

Fitcheck:

Result:

I wrapped that part too
      04-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #132
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Thought of wrapping first too, but then I found the panel more worth the look. Wrap the fullquote dude

Appreciate 0