F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My car caught on fire last night...
GetBMWParts

06-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #23
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
So OP,

1). Thinking down the line, what will you replace it with? Another 335/6 or 340/6?
2). Must be manual?
3). Headlight still on?
4). Glad you aren't well done.
Thanks, i moved it and got out pretty quick. I even made a sad attempt to put the fire out with a mountain dew. lol

Doesn't have to be manual, no.

I went back a little bit ago and behold. Hard to tell but yes the headlight is still on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

It was bought from a dealer, yes. And of course I'll be looking into another BMW! This is number 3 for me so far and I'm not backing down yet. Unless a great deal on something cool comes along.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Thats crazy! Glad you're ok, never seen this happen before, let us know what they determine the cause to be if they ever found out.
      06-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #26
F30dud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 340 msport

glad you good, get a lawyer
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #27
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

4 months of ownership and it's totaled due to a headlight fire?! Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #28
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm not blaming you, I don't know if you bought the vehicle used but in the US, the front amber side markers are mandatory and are illuminated from the factory; someone coded them out apparently.

At least that's the way it looks from the grainy photo.. I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken..
Previous owner or someone definitely coded/front light amber turn signals delete... unless stock OEM amber yolk bulbs were swapped out with white turn signal HID/LED bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #29
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's a sport line with an M Sport bumper so it's definitely possible the previous owner made other modifications. It doesn't matter though, insurance will pay unless there is clear evidence of some sort of intentional damage, which there obviously isn't here.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #30
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's a sport line with an M Sport bumper so it's definitely possible the previous owner made other modifications. It doesn't matter though, insurance will pay unless there is clear evidence of some sort of intentional damage, which there obviously isn't here.
How can you tell it's a Sportsline that had MSport Bumpers retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntocode View Post
Quote:
I'm not blaming you, I don't know if you bought the vehicle used but in the US, the front amber side markers are mandatory and are illuminated from the factory; someone coded them out apparently.

At least that's the way it looks from the grainy photo.. I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken..
Previous owner or someone definitely coded/front light amber turn signals delete... unless stock OEM amber yolk bulbs were swapped out with white turn signal HID/LED bulbs.
Walking home one night, I witness a house on fire, so I alerted the residents who where Inside, unaware and sleeping, that managed to get out in time.

I was the primary witness and after the fire marshal interviewed me and took all the related photos from my phone, he later determined the the root cause of the fire was from a cheap, Chinaman lamp, as you can see from as the point of origin of the fire, in the photo.

Long story longer; cheap, uncertified bulbs and mismatched coding is most likely the cause of this unfortunate incident.

And before anyone wrongly assumes, I called 911 way before I took this photo of the house on fire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #32
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

Quote:
Quote:

+ 1. I'm not seeing an amber corner. Wonder if a higher wattage bulb melted the socket harness.
      06-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #33
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I’m impressed with the diagnosis of the probable cause of the fire!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #34
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, wild. I honestly had no idea that anything had been coded in the lights and that different bulbs were in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #35
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Yeah, wild. I honestly had no idea that anything had been coded in the lights and that different bulbs were in it.
I don't know why people assume coding will cause fire, more than half the people on the forum have coded their car, including me, I coded my car since day 1, euro style amber delete, everything. I've never heard of a headlight coding can cause a fire, this is total bull of an excuse. If the last owner modified it with a cheap chinese made ballast for the HID, then yes, that may have overheat to melting point to cause a fire, but it still has nothing to do with coding.
      06-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
I don't know why people assume coding will cause fire, more than half the people on the forum have coded their car, including me, I coded my car since day 1, euro style amber delete, everything. I've never heard of a headlight coding can cause a fire, this is total bull of an excuse. If the last owner modified it with a cheap chinese made ballast for the HID, then yes, that may have overheat to melting point to cause a fire, but it still has nothing to do with coding.
You have a lot to learn then; there are such things as resistors bouncing back a surge of power that can start fires.

The gauge of wire can't support the added amperage passing through that can cause fires.

And simply crappy wiring can start a fire.

Not sure if that's the reason here but just because guy who knows a guy who know another guy that did it on his 1999 318i before doesn't mean it's not a potential fire hazard.

Google is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #37
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You have a lot to learn then; there are such things as resistors bouncing back a surge of power that can start fires.

The gauge of wire can't support the added amperage passing through that can cause fires.

Not sure if that's the reason here but just because guy who knows a guy who know another guy that did it on his 1999 318i before doesn't mean it's not a potential fire hazard.

Google is your friend.
No, I don't agree, you do know that coding is OEM right ? Amber delete is standard in Europe, as I've said, if any hardware (wiring or ballast or bulb) is changed then yes, it can cause a fire from cheap after market parts. But if he had OEM stock headlights, and he's just coded off amber side markers or have 100% halo brightness for low beam, etc, no way these can cause a fire, because they come OEM standard depending on which country you're in.
      06-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
Quote:

Google is your friend.
No, I don't agree, you do know that coding is OEM right ? Amber delete is standard in Europe, as I've said, if any hardware (wiring or ballast or bulb) is changed then yes, it can cause a fire from cheap after market parts. But he had OEM stock headlights, and he's just coded off amber side markers and such, no way that can cause a fire.
You misunderstood why I asked that question; him possible coding the side markers out have absolutely nothing to do with the fire but it shows evidence of coding.

Plus, the glare from increase in wattage to the rings and obvious missing or altered government mandated side markers reveals signs of tampering, whatever they might be.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #39
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Could it have been a rag stuck in a hole while somebody was working on the car? Maybe it blocked airflow to the headlight?
      06-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #40
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep

I finally got the car off the street and to the yard. Won't know more until this coming week. I hope it's a simple process, I've never had a car totaled out before, let alone from a fire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #41
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

[QUOTE=Poochie;24915800][QUOTE=learntocode;24915655]
Quote:

Walking home one night, I witness a house on fire, so I alerted the residents who where Inside, unaware and sleeping, that managed to get out in time.

I was the primary witness and after the fire marshal interviewed me and took all the related photos from my phone, he later determined the the root cause of the fire was from a cheap, Chinaman lamp, as you can see from as the point of origin of the fire, in the photo.

Long story longer; cheap, uncertified bulbs and mismatched coding is most likely the cause of this unfortunate incident.

And before anyone wrongly assumes, I called 911 way before I took this photo of the house on fire.
The Chinaman is not the issue here, we're talking about drawing a line in the sand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 3
      06-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #42
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=floridaorange;24916589][QUOTE=Poochie;24915800]
Quote:
Quote:

The Chinaman is not the issue here, we're talking about drawing a line in the sand!
Alrighty then, you go "draw that line in the sad..."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #43
npe
Rep
Drives: E46, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
How can you tell it's a Sportsline that had MSport Bumpers retrofitted?
For someone constantly giving flack to other forum members for not looking at fine details, you're no better

Look at the OP's third pic and the photos in his past threads if you're bright enough
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #44
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
You misunderstood why I asked that question; him possible coding the side markers out have absolutely nothing to do with the fire but it shows evidence of coding.

Plus, the glare from increase in wattage to the rings and obvious missing or altered government mandated side markers reveals signs of tampering, whatever they might be.
Exactly. Signs of tampering.

If the OP files a claim with the insurance company, believe me, the investigator will be highly trained in car fires and their origins.

Insurance companies have gotten tired of paying off on people who burn their cars to get out of payments, and a multitude of other reasons they burn their cars. He'll zoom right in on that other headlight stuck on from the photos the firemen took, and trace any non-factory modifications on the good headlight back to the burnt one.

Although clearly not arson, if they find a cheap Chinese HID upgrade or something like that, just thrown in there on the good headlight, they may be under no obligation to pay because of non-factory upgrades that should be done at your own risk.

This will be interesting to see the outcome. I wish the OP much luck for a good outcome. Buyer beware.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0