F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dealership won't install getbmwparts.com or eBay parts!
proTUNING Freaks

04-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #45
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I bought the car used as a dealer CPO car. The original owner had the MPPK tune, MP Intake, MP Exhaust and blacked out kidney grille installed. It was unclear from the paperwork whether these happened at the port or at the dealer. I know the car itself was special ordered by the buyer. Right away I swapped out the stock air filter for an aFe Pro Dry stock-sized filter and definitely felt a difference when I touched the gas pedal, like the engine was breathing freer. Like it runs on a cool day versus a hot day.
I saw your post, so the second picture is what comes as stock or does it have only one hole between those three line separated sections? Or does it have two holes already and you are suggesting to combine them?
For the MPPK intake do I just need the part # 11122334344 which is $181 or do I need the entire assembly part# 13-71-8-616-013 for $298? Also does the lifetime aFe Pro Dry filter need regular cleaning?
I will try to clarify what the photos show in my previous post. I believe that they are in the PDF attachment:

Photo1) This is the lower part of the intake box that comes with the M Performance Intake option. It has a hole in the side and I assume that the red piece of plastic is installed by the factory to add strength around the edges of the opening.

Photo2) The stock air box bottom does NOT have a hole in it at this location (the location that was outlined in red in photo1) This photo2 shows the stock lower part of air box AFTER the first guy who posted about this DIY upgrade drilled holes in his own stock air box bottom.

Photo3) Shows my suggestion which is instead of drilling round holes, cut rectangular shaped holes (indicated by the yellow) in the stock air box bottom between the ridge lines. Not cutting through those ridge lines helps to maintain the structural integrity of the plastic. Make sure that overall, your cuts are within the red area indicated in Photo1.
To make the cuts, I would draw the rectangles with a Sharpie. Then drill small holes in each corner. Finally I'd cut out the edges of the full rectangle with either a utility knife with a new sharp blade- first scoring the plastic and then repeating over and over on the line until it cuts completely through. Or use a small Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel.

My car came with all the components in the $298 package already installed so I've never seen the stock parts myself. But going by the guy who made this original DYI post, to get the added airflow the only thing needed is to either buy and install the MP bottom to the air box or cut the holes in your stock air box.

I plan to clean the aFe Pro Dry air filter once a year in the summer when I usually change my cabin filter. I'll just see what their website suggests for the cleaning method. I checked my aFe filter after the first six months and it still looked new.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #46
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I've got that air box as part of my MPPK. I just posted about it the other day. It just changes out the bottom of your stock air box for a new one that has a big hole in the side for added airflow. There are instructions on how to cut the holes yourself for free or you can by the OEM part for $181 and install it yourself in about 15 minutes by just undoing about 4 clips. Look up my post. It has the part numbers and instructions. Toss the air filter for an aFe Pro Dry filter for about $80. (Never an oiled filter, that will gunk your expensive air sensors) The aFe is lifetime reusable too.

I have the BMW M Performance exhaust because it came with my used car but if I was buying one now I'd look at AWE. I've seen and heard them at BMW car events and they stood out to me over other exhausts including my own. Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot man, I'll check out your post/instructions. Did you get the MPPK with the car when you bought it or did you get it installed later?
I bought the car used as a dealer CPO car. The original owner had the MPPK tune, MP Intake, MP Exhaust and blacked out kidney grille installed. It was unclear from the paperwork whether these happened at the port or at the dealer. I know the car itself was special ordered by the buyer. Right away I swapped out the stock air filter for an aFe Pro Dry stock-sized filter and definitely felt a difference when I touched the gas pedal, like the engine was breathing freer. Like it runs on a cool day versus a hot day.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #47
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I will try to clarify what the photos show in my previous post. I believe that they are in the PDF attachment:

Photo1) This is the lower part of the intake box that comes with the M Performance Intake option. It has a hole in the side and I assume that the red piece of plastic is installed by the factory to add strength around the edges of the opening.

Photo2) The stock air box bottom does NOT have a hole in it at this location (the location that was outlined in red in photo1) This photo2 shows the stock lower part of air box AFTER the first guy who posted about this DIY upgrade drilled holes in his own stock air box bottom.

Photo3) Shows my suggestion which is instead of drilling round holes, cut rectangular shaped holes (indicated by the yellow) in the stock air box bottom between the ridge lines. Not cutting through those ridge lines helps to maintain the structural integrity of the plastic. Make sure that overall, your cuts are within the red area indicated in Photo1.
To make the cuts, I would draw the rectangles with a Sharpie. Then drill small holes in each corner. Finally I'd cut out the edges of the full rectangle with either a utility knife with a new sharp blade- first scoring the plastic and then repeating over and over on the line until it cuts completely through. Or use a small Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel.

My car came with all the components in the $298 package already installed so I've never seen the stock parts myself. But going by the guy who made this original DYI post, to get the added airflow the only thing needed is to either buy and install the MP bottom to the air box or cut the holes in your stock air box.

I plan to clean the aFe Pro Dry air filter once a year in the summer when I usually change my cabin filter. I'll just see what their website suggests for the cleaning method. I checked my aFe filter after the first six months and it still looked new.

Hope this helps!
Thanks man, really appreciate all this useful info. Definitely getting the filter and I'll either cut the rectangular holes or get the $181 box, might need to confirm if just the bottom part will fit. Also, I don't know why it is posting your previous replay again and again

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #48
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I've got that air box as part of my MPPK. I just posted about it the other day. It just changes out the bottom of your stock air box for a new one that has a big hole in the side for added airflow. There are instructions on how to cut the holes yourself for free or you can by the OEM part for $181 and install it yourself in about 15 minutes by just undoing about 4 clips. Look up my post. It has the part numbers and instructions. Toss the air filter for an aFe Pro Dry filter for about $80. (Never an oiled filter, that will gunk your expensive air sensors) The aFe is lifetime reusable too.

I have the BMW M Performance exhaust because it came with my used car but if I was buying one now I'd look at AWE. I've seen and heard them at BMW car events and they stood out to me over other exhausts including my own. Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot man, I'll check out your post/instructions. Did you get the MPPK with the car when you bought it or did you get it installed later?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #49
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I saw your post, so the second picture is what comes as stock or does it have only one hole between those three line separated sections? Or does it have two holes already and you are suggesting to combine them?
For the MPPK intake do I just need the part # 11122334344 which is $181 or do I need the entire assembly part# 13-71-8-616-013 for $298? Also does the lifetime aFe Pro Dry filter need regular cleaning?

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #50
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

QUICK UPDATE: So I placed the order on eBay for the exhaust last Thursday and sent a message to the seller (BMW of Chattanooga) asking them to please inspect the item visually before shipping it to me and next day they canceled my order, the response was "product will not meet your high expectations", I called them and the guy named Mathew said it's an exhaust and it remains hidden so it shouldn't matter if it has scratches and dings, which could be caused during shipping, I had only sent the message because I saw one review saying that his exhaust seemed like an open box with lots of scratches. I told the seller I don't mind if that's how you get it from BMW but he acted strangely and just didn't want to accept my order. So on the name of selling a new exhaust, they might be selling some old cosmetically degraded stuff, a few scratches and minor dings is fine as long as it doesn't impair the functioning or long term durability but they should be honest about it and not sell it as a new item.
Then I searched the forum and found out a parts advisor named Bryan Keller from Sun Motors BMW PA helps in getting a good deal, I emailed him at bkeller@sunmotorcars.com, he was away on vacation but the auto-reply suggested contacting Paul or Adam in their parts department. I called them and they shipped it today for $900, I'll get it on Wednesday. I'll update on the condition of the exhaust, if it's dinged or scratched, maybe they're also helping BMW NA to get rid of old stock like Chattanooga people. Bottom line, a lot of shady business going on.
Updated this in case any of you guys are ordering it on eBay. BeerHerder
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #51
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
QUICK UPDATE: So I placed the order on eBay for the exhaust last Thursday and sent a message to the seller (BMW of Chattanooga) asking them to please inspect the item visually before shipping it to me and next day they canceled my order, the response was "product will not meet your high expectations", I called them and the guy named Mathew said it's an exhaust and it remains hidden so it shouldn't matter if it has scratches and dings, which could be caused during shipping, I had only sent the message because I saw one review saying that his exhaust seemed like an open box with lots of scratches. I told the seller I don't mind if that's how you get it from BMW but he acted strangely and just didn't want to accept my order. So on the name of selling a new exhaust, they might be selling some old cosmetically degraded stuff, a few scratches and minor dings is fine as long as it doesn't impair the functioning or long term durability but they should be honest about it and not sell it as a new item.
Then I searched the forum and found out a parts advisor named Bryan Keller from Sun Motors BMW PA helps in getting a good deal, I emailed him at bkeller@sunmotorcars.com, he was away on vacation but the auto-reply suggested contacting Paul or Adam in their parts department. I called them and they shipped it today for $900, I'll get it on Wednesday. I'll update on the condition of the exhaust, if it's dinged or scratched, maybe they're also helping BMW NA to get rid of old stock like Chattanooga people. Bottom line, a lot of shady business going on.
Good info, also really weird...

And, WTF happened to this thread? Did those 2 people post the same thing like 7 times each?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #52
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post

And, WTF happened to this thread? Did those 2 people post the same thing like 7 times each?
haha, yes, I think johnung 's app or browser is posting duplicate replies, sometimes even after an hour or two Useful info though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #53
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think my SA is pissed because I didn't install the MPPK that he ordered for me when I never asked him to do so, I was only asking for the price associated with it and if they will price match
That's just a lame sales tactic. There's a good chance they already had one or it basically cost nothing to get anyway. He was just trying to guilt you into buying the part.

BMW dealerships are just franchises with loose guidelines from BMW. Sales tactics and service operations are basically a free for all. A dealership can choose to be as scummy and overcharge as much as they want. They are basically autonomous. Of course, in a very competitive market that simply will not work, but in some moderately sized markets, they might be able to pull that off.

I will very rarely take an out of warranty car to the dealership if I know of a good independent shop to do the work at, if I can't do it myself. Dealerships don't even always have the best mechanics. To be fair, they are better than your corner garage, but you can find good independent shops that will often have better mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #54
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post

haha, yes, I think johnung 's app or browser is posting duplicate replies, sometimes even after an hour or two Useful info though.
Sorry! The Bimmerpost iPhone app was acting crazy all day. Kept saying it couldn't connect to server and would save my post in drafts. But it must have actually been posting every time it told me it had failed to do so. Weird! I've been trying to delete duplicates when it allows me.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #55
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Really, only once a year? I clean mine quarterly and am always amazed by how clean it looks, yet how terribly dirty the bucket of soapy water I dunk it into turns... I also use a stiff bristled brush to scrub between the pleats.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #56
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
That's just a lame sales tactic. There's a good chance they already had one or it basically cost nothing to get anyway. He was just trying to guilt you into buying the part.

BMW dealerships are just franchises with loose guidelines from BMW. Sales tactics and service operations are basically a free for all. A dealership can choose to be as scummy and overcharge as much as they want. They are basically autonomous. Of course, in a very competitive market that simply will not work, but in some moderately sized markets, they might be able to pull that off.

I will very rarely take an out of warranty car to the dealership if I know of a good independent shop to do the work at, if I can't do it myself. Dealerships don't even always have the best mechanics. To be fair, they are better than your corner garage, but you can find good independent shops that will often have better mechanics.

Yes and no. ALL dealers are held by each's "Sales and Service Agreement" or Franchise agreement (regardless of Manufacture/Brand). Although agreements are loosely interpreted (dealers are mostly legally backed by National Auto Dealers Association - NADA), I have heard of dealers getting their franchise(s) pulled...although to be fair, mostly due to FTC violations.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #57
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Really, only once a year? I clean mine quarterly and am always amazed by how clean it looks, yet how terribly dirty the bucket of soapy water I dunk it into turns... I also use a stiff bristled brush to scrub between the pleats.
Thanks for the heads up! I had just given it a quick visual one day when it was starting to rain and it looked clean. So you just soak it in warm sudsy water with dish detergent and a brushing between the pleats. Does it take long to dry?

Just saw an aFe cleaning kit for $17 but your method sounds like the way to go. Just found the attached too that confirms your method. Thanks again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #58
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm sure even if he had to order it he could return it easily, he seemed pretty eager in getting me hooked up with it, I have pretty much decided against getting it, $1800 for 35hp doesn't seem fair at all. I did find a local indy shop with high ratings, charges $75 per hour, they'll be installing my MPE for $75.

Quote:
Sorry! The Bimmerpost iPhone app was acting crazy all day. Kept saying it couldn't connect to server and would save my post in drafts. But it must have actually been posting every time it told me it had failed to do so. Weird! I've been trying to delete duplicates when it allows me.
yeah I could figure it was something like that

Quote:
question for both you and johnung , I read afe filters let debris into the engine that causes faster engine wear, do you guys have any info about that as you've been using these filters for a while now?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #59
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I had just given it a quick visual one day when it was starting to rain and it looked clean. So you just soak it in warm sudsy water with dish detergent and a brushing between the pleats. Does it take long to dry?

Just saw an aFe cleaning kit for $17 but your method sounds like the way to go. Just found the attached too that confirms your method. Thanks again!
I put my hose up to it to run water from the intake side out like the instructions recommend, then dunk it in a bucket of soapy water and brush between the pleats. If it's cold and damp, I let it dry for 24hrs. Otherwise I just check it to see when it's dry. I have a spare regular filter I can pop in the car if I need to get around in the meantime.

Quote:
question for both you and johnung , I read afe filters let debris into the engine that causes faster engine wear, do you guys have any info about that as you've been using these filters for a while now?
Blackstone oil analysis hasn't seen anything suggesting I'm getting more wear. I've been running the filter over a year now including 10 track days and the heavy smoke from the tragic Paradise, CA fires (the filter was disgusting after that).
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
dr.roro195.50
      04-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #60
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure even if he had to order it he could return it easily, he seemed pretty eager in getting me hooked up with it, I have pretty much decided against getting it, $1800 for 35hp doesn't seem fair at all. I did find a local indy shop with high ratings, charges $75 per hour, they'll be installing my MPE for $75.

Quote:
yeah I could figure it was something like that

Quote:
Where exactly did you read something negative about aFe filters? I've never heard anything like that. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #61
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
That is interesting, my 3rd hand cat-back system has no scratch on the axle back, I can't imagine how those scratches got on the MFE they selling!

Good thing you were able to get it elsewhere. Some dealers are more willing to work with the customers than the other, since it is actually taking up a physical space. Personally I don't even both to negotiate with the cocky ones, just like with the sales department, if I don't like it (price or him or her), I simply walk away
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #62
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where exactly did you read something negative about aFe filters? I've never heard anything like that. 🤷🏻*♂️
I think it was on F80 or 2addicts forum, they were in favor of stock filter I would trust the engine oil analysis more, ordering it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
That is interesting, my 3rd hand cat-back system has no scratch on the axle back, I can't imagine how those scratches got on the MFE they selling!

Good thing you were able to get it elsewhere. Some dealers are more willing to work with the customers than the other, since it is actually taking up a physical space. Personally I don't even both to negotiate with the cocky ones, just like with the sales department, if I don't like it (price or him or her), I simply walk away
Definitely some funny business going on in cahoots with BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #63
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I think it was on F80 or 2addicts forum, they were in favor of stock filter I would trust the engine oil analysis more, ordering it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post

Definitely some funny business going on in cahoots with BMW NA
Yes, I was happy to hear about the engine oil analysis too. Nice to have real science to rely on. 😀
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #64
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I was happy to hear about the engine oil analysis too. Nice to have real science to rely on. 😀
Do you have any experience with cold air intakes, I know they improve the sound, any warranty or CEL issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #65
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I put my hose up to it to run water from the intake side out like the instructions recommend, then dunk it in a bucket of soapy water and brush between the pleats. If it's cold and damp, I let it dry for 24hrs. Otherwise I just check it to see when it's dry. I have a spare regular filter I can pop in the car if I need to get around in the meantime.

Quote:
Blackstone oil analysis hasn't seen anything suggesting I'm getting more wear. I've been running the filter over a year now including 10 track days and the heavy smoke from the tragic Paradise, CA fires (the filter was disgusting after that).
I've never done a track day but I recently saw some videos of an annual BMW event they do at Pocono Raceway in PA. Cars were hitting in the 140's mph on the straight away. Curious about your track experiences and if that's what you've seen as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #66
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any experience with cold air intakes, I know they improve the sound, any warranty or CEL issues?
Quote:
Quote:
IMO the main attraction to the aftermarket intakes is the sound difference. They aren't cheap! Increasing airflow at the filter does produce a small performance increase but in that regard they are all about the same. You are paying for sound!

I wouldn't think an intake would cause a warranty issue but my experience is that the dealers kinda make their own rules with that. One dealer SA did tell me that he's seen stock plastic charge pipes break because of big aftermarket intakes that were installed touching the charge pipe below it. He thought that the weight and vibration from the intake caused the plastic charge pipe to fail. Whether they denied warranty coverage over that, I do not know.

I've got the BMW M Performance intake so no warranty issues. I've written a couple recent posts about getting that upgraded intake performance increase by upgrading to the aFe Pro Dry airfilter for about $75 and either cutting holes in your stock airbox bottom for free or buying the BMW MP airbox bottom with the big hole already in it from the factory for about $181.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1