F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fed up with Dinan
Studio RSR

11-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
livemane
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330ix

Fed up with Dinan

So I ordered an axle back(d660-0069blk) for my 330i back in April, many calls and six months later in October I received an axle back for an X5M. After even more calls and emails to support I received what could be the muffler I needed.

It was falling out of the box, out of round tip, etc

So can I live with the scraped oval tip? idk...

Then I notice there is no clamp and no instructions like my new sweet X5M exhaust has(wish I had an X5M). So I call Dinan again, which is one of my least favorite activities at this point, same vibe as calling an ex wife for a favor.

So someone answers the phone, I calmly explain the clamp is missing from the package I been waiting six months for and ask if I the clamp in the X5M box is the same and can I use it as I wanted to install this today. He then says to me "there is no clamp, it's supposed to be welded"

WHAT?

Back in April this is what I thought I was getting

https://documents.dinancars.com/d660-0069-blk.pdf

I then ask, are you sure because the instructions on the website even list ft-lbs ratings for the clamp?

He then asks me to email support because it's a holiday weekend and they are busy...

I'm not sure these people realize that customers spending money is the reason they are still busy.

I'm beyond mad now, the feeling I have is when you're told your flight is delayed 9 hours and you are trying to pick which shitty seat to sit in and wait.

Has anyone else bought one of these? it really isn't what I expected, I thought the pipe would be the same OD as the muffler and they line up butt to butt and the clamp holds them together, this one is flanged

At this point I'm not even sure what I want or need.

I'm thinking I should cut my losses and sell these two exhausts on the forums here to recoup my money and deal with a company that values customers.

These IMG tags aren't working for me so I'm attaching the pics to the post
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      11-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

That sounds frustrating. I had a similar experience when ordering their cold air intake. They were very friendly during each point of contact, but I kept getting another excuse. I eventually began the process to cancel my order, and it was shipped shortly afterwards. It ended up taking 6 months. It wasn't a critical component, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the pandemic (supply lines, staffing, etc.). However, I question if their company isn't the same since changing ownership (now owned by Sentinel Capital, I believe). It did arrive without blemishes.

Regarding the clamp, I have the same exhaust. I'm aiming to change to my winter wheels this weekend, and will take a look at the connection for you.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
livemane
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
That sounds frustrating. I had a similar experience when ordering their cold air intake. They were very friendly during each point of contact, but I kept getting another excuse. I eventually began the process to cancel my order, and it was shipped shortly afterwards. It ended up taking 6 months. It wasn't a critical component, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the pandemic (supply lines, staffing, etc.). However, I question if their company isn't the same since changing ownership (now owned by Sentinel Capital, I believe). It did arrive without blemishes.

Regarding the clamp, I have the same exhaust. I'm aiming to change to my winter wheels this weekend, and will take a look at the connection for you.
Thank you it'd be great to see how the clamp looks on yours!

And yes I do agree about shortages, I didn't complain during the 6 month wait and I think I called twice for status updates and they were nice and helpful. It really went downhill after I received the wrong exhaust, lots of misinformation and lack of replies to emails.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Here you go. Looks slightly different from the image in the instructions, but a clamp nonetheless.
Attached Images

2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #5
Kraklz
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2017

Yes its definitely a clamp not a weld. Very common for F30 axle backs to use a clamp.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

I would send it back and get a refund on the damage tips alone.
Also I woundt ever use exhaust clamps. A muffler shop will weld if for you and for $50 bucks and its permanent with no leaks.
Appreciate 0