F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Swap brake rotos 340 to...
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2023, 03:53 AM   #1
locolok
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d e92

Swap brake rotos 340 to...

Good morning.

I'm looking into transforming my 340mm front brake with double piston caliper to 370/380mm.

I know that kern makes the adapter for the caliper, the problem is shipping from the United States to Europe.

I also consider the option of going to 370 instead of 380 because the m4 disc costs about twice as much as the 370 disc, do you know if someone makes that adapter? Do you know if someone in Europe has an adapter for 370/380?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Message Belong

I believe he's on your side of the pond. Also, a few threads down is his post on adaptors.
Appreciate 1
locolok26.00
      03-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolok View Post
Good morning.

I'm looking into transforming my 340mm front brake with double piston caliper to 370/380mm.

I know that kern makes the adapter for the caliper, the problem is shipping from the United States to Europe.

I also consider the option of going to 370 instead of 380 because the m4 disc costs about twice as much as the 370 disc, do you know if someone makes that adapter? Do you know if someone in Europe has an adapter for 370/380?
Just a thought… if you’re concerned about the cost of shipping a few pounds of brackets, maybe you don’t have the budget right now to do this project.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
locolok
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Just a thought… if you’re concerned about the cost of shipping a few pounds of brackets, maybe you don’t have the budget right now to do this project.
What kind of mental problem do you have? You like to give away your money I suppose.

I don't know if you know that apart from the shipment (about 60 dollars) once received you have to pay dua, customs, commissions... which can add another 150 dollars, in the end pay 200 dollars more for something that costs about 200-250 dollars... it will seem normal to you, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What kind of mental problem do you have? You like to give away your money I suppose.

I don't know if you know that apart from the shipment (about 60 dollars) once received you have to pay dua, customs, commissions... which can add another 150 dollars, in the end pay 200 dollars more for something that costs about 200-250 dollars... it will seem normal to you, I suppose.
“Cost” is a relative term. You identified several ways/configurations to achieve your project goal. Based on my knowledge of the costs of those options, IMO the least expensive seems to be to pay the shipping cost.

So based on the information that you provided it would seem like paying the shipping cost of the brackets is the least expensive way overall for you to achieve your goal.

Now it’s a completely different issue if you have a philosophical aversion to paying a high price to ship a specific part, and are too stubborn to do so even if it results in the lowest overall cost to achieve your goal. Again this opinion is based on information that was provided.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:17 AM   #6
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:

Rude and inappropriate response to some who was only offering a perspective on your situation. You owe Johnung an apology.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 04:39 AM   #7
locolok
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
“Cost” is a relative term. You identified several ways/configurations to achieve your project goal. Based on my knowledge of the costs of those options, IMO the least expensive seems to be to pay the shipping cost.

So based on the information that you provided it would seem like paying the shipping cost of the brackets is the least expensive way overall for you to achieve your goal.

Now it’s a completely different issue if you have a philosophical aversion to paying a high price to ship a specific part, and are too stubborn to do so even if it results in the lowest overall cost to achieve your goal. Again this opinion is based on information that was provided.
I am not a mathematician, but for me €220 sent from Poland is cheaper (as I have already found thanks to _OviJon), than 250 dollars, plus shipping, plus duties, customs and commissions for adapters manufactured by kern in the USA.

The mission of this thread was to find an alternative in Europe to the kit that is sold in the USA, because it will always be cheaper, faster and more comfortable than buying on the other side of the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Rude and inappropriate response to some who was only offering a perspective on your situation. You owe Johnung an apology.

I don't owe an apology to someone who makes a flippant answer and doesn't stick to the question I'm asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:11 AM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't owe an apology to someone who makes a flippant answer and doesn't stick to the question I'm asking.
I’m glad to hear that you found a source in Europe to save you shipping costs. Good luck on your project!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:20 AM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
Thanks for the thought. Just the pitfalls of social interaction. Everyone has good days and bad. I’m just thrilled to be able to communicate so easily with people around the world who have similar interests in BMWs.
Appreciate 0