F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > bilstein B6 with dinan springs
Studio RSR

02-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
motivman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

bilstein B6 with dinan springs

Will this work with dinan springs and bump stops?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...2-F3X-RWD.html

my car is M235i with EDC
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motivman View Post
Will this work with dinan springs and bump stops?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...2-F3X-RWD.html

my car is M235i with EDC
It will work but you won't need front bump stops because Bilstein has internal bump stops.

Keep in mind that Bilstein B6-DampTronic are setup stiffer than B4-DampTronic which are more like stock replacements. Also Dinan springs are roughly 30% stiffer than your stock springs. So the combination of B6-D and Dinan springs might be stiffer/harsher than you maybe are expecting. Eibach springs are only about 10% stiffer than stock springs so they would be more forgiving.

You don't need to spend big money for Dinan bump stops which are mostly repackaged BMW bump stops from other models. Many guys just use shorter F80 bump stops. See photo.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      02-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
motivman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I already have the dinan springs and bump stops, but my rear left rear shocks makes a squeeking noise over bumps... took it to my local indy, and they checked all the bushings etc, and conclusion was that the rear shock was done, and needed replacing. Ideally, I want to go B16 damptronic coilovers, but those are on backorder. My other choice is KW DDC, but those are backordered too. Even the kit I linked above is backordered. EVERYTHING seems to be backordered lately. My car is not stable at high speeds... seems like it is fishtailing... this cant be safe. I think I will just replace rear shocks with OEMs for now, since everything right now seem to be backordered.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
It will work but you won't need front bump stops because Bilstein has internal bump stops.
Only Bilstein monotube struts have a bump stop inside the strut body. The damptronics use a stock type bump stop.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Only Bilstein monotube struts have a bump stop inside the strut body. The damptronics use a stock type bump stop.
Ah. thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:49 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I already have the dinan springs and bump stops, but my rear left rear shocks makes a squeeking noise over bumps... took it to my local indy, and they checked all the bushings etc, and conclusion was that the rear shock was done, and needed replacing. Ideally, I want to go B16 damptronic coilovers, but those are on backorder. My other choice is KW DDC, but those are backordered too. Even the kit I linked above is backordered. EVERYTHING seems to be backordered lately. My car is not stable at high speeds... seems like it is fishtailing... this cant be safe. I think I will just replace rear shocks with OEMs for now, since everything right now seem to be backordered.
Avoid B16's. Very poor matching of springs to dampers. Too stiff and harsh. Get KWs for a much better ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #7
motivman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Avoid B16's. Very poor matching of springs to dampers. Too stiff and harsh. Get KWs for a much better ride.
So turns out there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with my rear shocks. It was just the dinan bump stop that were squeeky and needed silicone lubricant... now my suspension is quiet as a mouse. I still need to go coilovers though in the future, but its not a rush, since my current suspension is just fine. Did you actually try out both B16 Damptronic and KW DDC? My mind was pretty much set on getting the B16's... seen a couple of good reviews. KW DDC is a little too expensive
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So turns out there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with my rear shocks. It was just the dinan bump stop that were squeeky and needed silicone lubricant... now my suspension is quiet as a mouse. I still need to go coilovers though in the future, but its not a rush, since my current suspension is just fine. Did you actually try out both B16 Damptronic and KW DDC? My mind was pretty much set on getting the B16's... seen a couple of good reviews. KW DDC is a little too expensive
A friend of mine has the B16-DampTronic and says they are terrible. Makes his car ride rough all the time. I driven in it and I couldn't stand it as a daily. Another friend tests suspensions and says that the problem is that Bilstein used front springs that are way way too stiff.

On the other hand both guys have installed and evaluated KW's. They have a more balanced smoother ride. One installed KWs for a buddy who had an exotic car. He said that all of the exotics that he has worked on have super stiff unforgiving suspensions. He said the KWs made it the best riding exotic that he's ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #9
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
A friend of mine has the B16-DampTronic and says they are terrible. Makes his car ride rough all the time. I driven in it and I couldn't stand it as a daily. Another friend tests suspensions and says that the problem is that Bilstein used front springs that are way way too stiff.

On the other hand both guys have installed and evaluated KW's. They have a more balanced smoother ride. One installed KWs for a buddy who had an exotic car. He said that all of the exotics that he has worked on have super stiff unforgiving suspensions. He said the KWs made it the best riding exotic that he's ever driven.
Do you know what the spring rate is front and back on the B16s?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 08:35 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra358 View Post
Quote:

Do you know what the spring rate is front and back on the B16s?
Not off the top of my head. Search or contact Bilstein
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 03:03 PM   #11
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

My OEM Adaptive done on my 2014 335i XDrive. B4s UNAVAILABLE. Period. Presumed tesla Production in Europe sucked all b4 types. B6 arriving. Currently, Dinan springs. Anyone sees an issue (bump stops figured, no issues).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:31 AM   #12
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

I just had the ST XA coil-overs installed on my 435i. The spring rate is about the same as Dinan Springs and a little less than the M3/M4 at front (progressive rate spring) 226lbs
and rear 630lbs per inch.

I replaced my EDC shocks with them and am pretty, stupidly thrilled.

I dropped the car about .75" and set the dampening to 4 of 16 from full soft.
The ride is firm, but not jarring. Heck, it's almost quieter than the stock suspension it replaced!

I ran the Eibach sport springs with the EDC shocks for a few months, but the EDC shock compression were just too soft. They work best with the stock springs and ride height. I pulled the EDC shocks at 76k miles.

I think ST warehouses US stock up in Reno, NV. I ordered mine on a Monday and had them by Thursday in NorCal.
Appreciate 0