F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Stock M sport Suspension failing 2015 335i - needing advice on options
Extreme Powerhouse

03-02-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Stock M sport Suspension failing 2015 335i - needing advice on options

Just got some regular maintenance done on my f30 335i with M sport adaptive suspension and found out I had a blown front strut that is leaking. Was quoted $28xx to replace the 2 front corners, alignment and all.

The car is getting oldish (81,xxx miles) and I’m looking to trade in as soon as beginning of next year to something newer but want to get all that I can out of my current car and retain as much value as possible.

I’m considering diy-ing just the one corner (seeing just one adaptive bilstien b4 is around $600) but unsure if it’s worth just doing one as the other 3 are probably getting worn as well. Also are there any other parts I would need to replace while I’m in there?

Another option is a set of coilovers but I’m concerned it will hurt the value of the car or it will be too rough for daily driving. Looking into the B14 PSS which runs around $1100, wondering how y’all’s experience with these coils are (ride quality vs stock, install ease, etc.) Open to other brands as well.

Anyone with experience with any of these options or other threads that can help me in my decision?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

definite no to bilstein coils. ride is stiff and most buying used desire unlowered, unmodded, least tampered with and closest to stock.

since youre going to dump the car next year, i'd do a front pair(L&R) b4 damptronic, strutmounts, spring seats, bumpstops.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #3
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
definite no to bilstein coils. ride is stiff and most buying used desire unlowered, unmodded, least tampered with and closest to stock.

since youre going to dump the car next year, i'd do a front pair(L&R) b4 damptronic, strutmounts, spring seats, bumpstops.
Gotcha, I was a little nervous about that too. Having a tough time finding a set of b4 damptronic struts for the front, they don’t have them in stock at fcp euro. They have a genuine bmw pair but they end up being more than a set of b14s, not including other hardware.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedCrewCab View Post
Gotcha, I was a little nervous about that too. Having a tough time finding a set of b4 damptronic struts for the front, they don’t have them in stock at fcp euro. They have a genuine bmw pair but they end up being more than a set of b14s, not including other hardware.
you could also use B6 damptronic, meant to be used with OEM height springs. they are monotube design, a bit firmer due to being more performance oriented and cost more, though.

if you don't mind losing the adaptive, i suppose you could just swap all(f&r) to B4 passive and code out adaptive.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      03-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
From what I’ve seen with Adaptive/EDC struts/shocks, it’s almost random when one of them starts leaking. So I wouldn’t assume that more than that pair need to be replaced. Don’t waste money now on doing all four if you are <12 months from selling the car.

Yes the Bilstein B4-Damptronic has been in global short supply for months.

It stinks that Bilstein’s corporate culture is to abandon their individual parts business in favor of large contracts with car makers. This seems to happen so often with Bilstein that it reeks of poor company management.

Offhand I do not know of another EDC replacement shock other than the much stiffer Bilstein B6-Damptronic. For EDC coilovers I’d avoid Bilstein B16-Damptronic because their front springs are way too stiff as are their damper settings. The KW DDC kit is the only one that I’d consider.

For a solution for you, I’d actually look for used stock Adaptives. I know that they are only supposed to be replaced in pairs but considering your mileage, if you could find just that corner used, it may be your solution. A pair if you can but a single in a pinch.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

6SpeedCrewCab, what's your budget for the suspension project (including installation and 4 wheel alignment)?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:46 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

I second the motion. Bilstein coilovers would too stiff and appeal to a very narrow segment of buyers when you are ready to sell the car.

Is your car in AAA+ condition? If you want to get top dollar for your vehicle, retaining EDC functionality would seem as a prudent decision but you may not recover the amount invested in Bilstein B4 Damptronic shocks.

Most buyers will appreciate a comfortable, yet controlled ride. Few thoughts for consideration:

- OEM springs + Koni Special Active shocks (or any other good static shocks) + EDC Cancellation unit will be a less expensive combination, EDC functionality can be coded out but if the vehicle requires reprogramming the dealer software will negate the coding or may charge you for returning the vehicle to stock condition before reprogramming

- M Adaptive suspension (aka EDC) on a high mileage vehicle will be seen by some future buyers as an inevitable and expensive repair bill; new static shocks will be seen as a plus
Appreciate 0