F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > driver front camber issue
Extreme Powerhouse

03-28-2023, 05:59 AM   #1
ConnorGerrard
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d 2013, BMW 435D 2015

Garage List
driver front camber issue

Hi All, hope someone can shed some ideas or opinions about the issue I’m having, my driver front tyre has some bad camber compared to all other tyres on the vehicle, it’s a 435D xDrive from 2015, I’ve been told that you can’t adjust the camber so something must be bent, but when visually inspecting the suspension parts I see nothing bent or snapped, nothing giving any play at all. I’m totally stumped at what this could be, see images below for better understanding. Only thing I can’t see is the inner of the wheel hub, it’s going into garage next Wednesday, but just asking for some ideas before then. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #2
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Issues with the lower control arms would usually make camber go positive, as it would pull the wheel in. So I would suspect an issue with the strut - possibly bent. To see over 2 degree's it would be significant enough to see visually, I imagine (check under the dust boot). Could also be an issue with the strut mount, but less likely IMO.

I'd say there's a possibility the wheel is bent or the equipment wasn't set right, but your tire wear supports having significant camber.

Also, just as an FYI, your rear toe is a little on the low side. Dealer spec for total toe-in adjustment is 18' +/- 4'. Unless that's what you're asking for, you might want to have them adjust it once you figure out the issue up front and have it aligned again.

Last edited by SuperLomi; 03-28-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
WagonHo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Sport Wagon

Garage List
I agree with SuperLomi - look for a bent strut, toward the top, maybe where the view isn't as easy. I recently (within the past month) had an issue that created -3.5 deg camber on the driver's side front v. -1.0 on the passenger side. The issue was a bent strut that wasn't visible until we removed it. Also, it pushed through the steering knuckle joint - which was a bit more obvious on close inspection. New knuckle, strut and wheel bearing, and I'm at -1.1 and -1.0 degree camber up front.

Good luck sorting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLomi View Post
Issues with the lower control arms would usually make camber go positive, as it would pull the wheel in. So I would suspect an issue with the strut - possibly bent. To see over 2 degree's it would be significant enough to see visually, I imagine (check under the dust boot). Could also be an issue with the strut mount, but less likely IMO.

I'd say there's a possibility the wheel is bent or the equipment wasn't set right, but your tire wear supports having significant camber.

Also, just as an FYI, your rear toe is a little on the low side. Dealer spec for total toe-in adjustment is 18' +/- 4'. Unless that's what you're asking for, you might want to have them adjust it once you figure out the issue up front and have it aligned again.
2004 B5.5 Volkswagen Passat GLS Wagon | Northern Green | 5-Speed Manual (sold - 2016)
BMW CCA | National Capital Chapter since 2019 - SCCA | Washington DC Region since 2021
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:58 PM   #4
Markyboyt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

That spring perch (plate the spring sits on) looks on a very sharp angle in both pictures which show it. I’d check that and compare to the other side, also lift the boot up and visually inspect the strut. Would be worth doing some measurements between various points of the wheel hub and strut with the car on its wheels and comparing to the other side.
Appreciate 0