F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stock intake holes with AFe dry air filter
Extreme Powerhouse

10-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Stock intake holes with AFe dry air filter

Since i got the CEL ON with the Injen intake on my 435i,

I started thinking to do the holes on the stock box and putting the AFe dry air filter,

Is this mod will make turbo sound louder and more noticeable than stock?

I loved the turbo sound with the Injen intake
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

it will make it slightly louder as your opening the intake some but it wont be nearly as loud as your old open intake.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Is this worth trying generally? Anyone have good exp with this? The holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Yes, I recall some experienced forum members suggesting/doing it, I put it on hold as I was thinking of getting MPPK. I guess the idea came from the air box that comes with MPPK, having a bigger opening.
I think johnung had a post about it that I can't find anymore.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Yes, I recall some experienced forum members suggesting/doing it, I put it on hold as I was thinking of getting MPPK. I guess the idea came from the air box that comes with MPPK, having a bigger opening.
I think johnung had a post about it that I can't find anymore.
I'll look for it. I recall posting some photos. My car came with the M Performance Intake where the bottom of the plastic airbox has a hole in the front section surrounded by a red plastic outline piece. The best price that I saw from a discount BMW dealer was about $180.

If I had the stock box now I would just cut or drill the holes in the same location and drop in a aFe Pro Dry air filter. The opening is in the lower part of the front of the box so I wouldn't even be able to spot mine if I didn't see the red plastic outline. I'll post it here if I find my original post. The photos are on a laptop that's to be repaired so don't have access to them right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

I think this is what you're looking for: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=956841
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
I think this is what you're looking for: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=956841
I saw it already.

But i was wondering if the holes with afe filter will make a noticeable turbo sound?

I'm okay with the Injen intake it's amazing but I don't know I feel it's not good for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
I saw it already.

But i was wondering if the holes with afe filter will make a noticeable turbo sound?

I'm okay with the Injen intake it's amazing but I don't know I feel it's not good for the engine.
Ah, gotcha. Not sure from personal experience. I'll be doing it this weekend with the AFE pro dry S filter, so I can tell you next week ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Quote:
I saw it already.

Ah, gotcha. Not sure from personal experience. I'll be doing it this weekend with the AFE pro dry S filter, so I can tell you next week ;-)
I'm excited, make sure you record a sound clip

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #10
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I'll look for it. I recall posting some photos. My car came with the M Performance Intake where the bottom of the plastic airbox has a hole in the front section surrounded by a red plastic outline piece. The best price that I saw from a discount BMW dealer was about $180.

If I had the stock box now I would just cut or drill the holes in the same location and drop in a aFe Pro Dry air filter. The opening is in the lower part of the front of the box so I wouldn't even be able to spot mine if I didn't see the red plastic outline. I'll post it here if I find my original post. The photos are on a laptop that's to be repaired so don't have access to them right now.
this?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...CABEgIL_vD_BwE

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.

Last edited by floridaorange; 10-16-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
jimmy89045
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

I've ran my oem intake with a hole similar size to the mperformance intake with no cel or issues for over a year before I swapped to a cts turbo intake. Turbo wasn't much louder than stock imo especially compared to my open intake. Would sell my cut intake for cheap if anyone is interested as I have no use for it anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #12
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Gonna add the holes tomorrow will update.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

this?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...CABEgIL_vD_BwE
That's it! Check the price at GetBMWParts too. Sometimes they are cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Removed my filter housing and it turns out the previous owner had cut a nearly 2 inch hole on the top part above the filter facing front of car. Debated on covering it with duct tape - decided just to leave it.

Drilled 4 dime size holes on the side where the air comes in and 4 dime size holes on the side where hole is on the MP intake. Additionally added about 10 smaller holes on the side as well, like 1 cm.

We'll see how she does for a while and if I don't like it I'll buy another OEM intake lower housing.

Has time for a 5 min spin and it definitely sounded more aggressive. Seemed to idle smoother too. Once I have time for a longer drive I'll know more.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm excited, make sure you record a sound clip

Good luck
I did it this afternoon. Sound difference is pretty imperceptible. I agree with the one guy's assessment of maybe 5-10% more noise. I did 3x 3/4" holes, and 5x 1/2" holes. I used a regular drill bit to make a pilot, then a wood spade bit to make the holes. Step drill bit would have definitely been cleaner. After drilling I cleaned up the holes with a round bastard file, then a razor knife to get the last little bit. Blew out the dust, dropped in my new AFE pro dry S filter, and called it a day.

One thing as an install note, I didn't detach the MAF or breather tubes... just removed the large engine cover, lifted up the top of the airbox, and pulled the lower box out. It would have been slightly easier if I did, but it wasn't necessary. I always hate detaching those little clips that hold the sensors in... I have a bad habit of snapping them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #16
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So yesterday replaced my 2013 intake air box that actually came with a hole drilled in the top front side of the air box. Since I've owned the car I've only known how it's been with an air box hole. Anyway as I mentioned earlier I added more holes to see if there was a difference. There was more engine noise and I think the original hole added some swish sound.

Anyway I replaced the entire box with a 2016 air box that had no holes. I gotta say I was stunned at first at the amount of perceived low end torque I guess I'd been missing this whole time. Even in regular nonsport drive the car seemed to know what it was dealing with the correct oem air values - revs were much better and idle was quieter. I recently changed spark plugs too - but I had driven with the air box that had the drilled hole and then multiple holes a lot.

My question is - is it possible the intake system is THAT sensitive? I don't know about the higher gear responsiveness yet because I didn't get on the highway but lower end is like a different car. I will be keeping this setup and not changing the intake in anyway way again! (Besides the k&n drop in)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #17
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So yesterday replaced my 2013 intake air box that actually came with a hole drilled in the top front side of the air box. Since I've owned the car I've only known how it's been with an air box hole. Anyway as I mentioned earlier I added more holes to see if there was a difference. There was more engine noise and I think the original hole added some swish sound.

Anyway I replaced the entire box with a 2016 air box that had no holes. I gotta say I was stunned at first at the amount of perceived low end torque I guess I'd been missing this whole time. Even in regular nonsport drive the car seemed to know what it was dealing with the correct oem air values - revs were much better and idle was quieter. I recently changed spark plugs too - but I had driven with the air box that had the drilled hole and then multiple holes a lot.

My question is - is it possible the intake system is THAT sensitive? I don't know about the higher gear responsiveness yet because I didn't get on the highway but lower end is like a different car. I will be keeping this setup and not changing the intake in anyway way again! (Besides the k&n drop in)
So what I'm understanding is the car is better with the holes?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:

A lot of imagination and wishful thinking in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2019, 10:42 PM   #19
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
From what I understand floridaorange is having a better experience with stock airbox with no holes. Maybe inline 6 benefits better with more airflow?

BeerHerder confirmed there wasn't a huge difference in sound after drilling the holes. I wonder if he is noticing any loss/gain in low-end torque or rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #20
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Obviously without a dyno who knows. Gonna spend more time driving it with holed air box, after less than desirable performance today.

Quote:
Mate - you very well may be right. In fact today there was throttle lag and power wasn't really there today. My previous statement shows correlation does not imply causation with non holed airbox.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand floridaorange is having a better experience with stock airbox with no holes. Maybe inline 6 benefits better with more airflow?

BeerHerder confirmed there wasn't a huge difference in sound after drilling the holes. I wonder if he is noticing any loss/gain in low-end torque or rough idle.
Not really, basically felt the same. I honestly can't imagine that it would do all that much more. Maybe, but likely not perceptible to an average person. Would be interested in seeing dyno runs stock w/ drop in, stock w/ holes & drop in, and M Performance lower air box w/ drop in to see if there really was any difference, but that's kind of a lot of dyno time to pay for with very little payoff...
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #22
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what should I buy the CTS intake??😁
Appreciate 0