F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > M Button Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #23
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEda235i View Post
Correct. In that case this wouldn't work for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
If you have adaptive cruise control, those are the buttons to adjust closer/farther following distance.
You could probably replace the stock buttons with M buttons, but that would seem silly.

I wonder if the wiring for ACC is there in cars without it... kind of like the rear fog light switch you can enable by breaking a couple of tabs. That might make it easier to tap into existing wiring and use it for another purpose, instead of running wires as some have suggested.
You would be correct. The false buttons have contact points on the circuit board behind them.
I took apart the whole button assembly. Unfortunately i beleive you would have to tap into the circuit board itself or the wires coming immediately off of the board, as they turn into a loom quite quickly. Not sure where else you could tap into those wires.
      09-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
I haven't dismantled the switch or looked into its wiring, but the BMW switches I have looked at send a LIN signal and a device somewhere in the car recognises that signal and acts on it. I wouldn't expect additional wires to run from those two buttons.

If this switch unit works like the others, then you'd need to buy whatever unit responds to the relevant LIN signals and do something at that end, or build a new switch unit that doesn't use LIN for signalling
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:26 AM   #25
japanwings
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 Gran Coupe

placed the buttons too;
trying to dig into the FEM coding for any signal to activate these buttons for something, so far no luck, bit too complex for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-02-2019, 02:13 AM   #26
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanwings View Post
placed the buttons too;
trying to dig into the FEM coding for any signal to activate these buttons for something, so far no luck, bit too complex for me
Been out of town for a few months so just saw this. Great idea trying to code them in! Definitely a daunting task when you're the first. But would be cool to have that option over hard wiring into the harness/circuit board. Have u any luck?
      01-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #27
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Any update on this? Figuring this aspect out will allow us to branch onto other accompanying M retrofits, one in particular that I'm most interested in is the Drive Logic button.

Where and how would one enable the use of Drive Logic presets? The HU perhaps?

I'm pretty sure you could start there with the M1 M2 buttons as well since the settings menu for those is also in the HU on M cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doumyouji View Post

Actually someone in china has been doing this mod for business
they mod the M1/M2 botton for exhaust flap control unit
Quote:
this is the guy i get inquiring,although im not getting info for aliexpress

https://market.m.taobao.com/app/idle...8;forceFlush=1
I don't think this is what you are thinking it is. I think the description is just misleading. It says "modified exhaust valve buttons M1 M2 keys", but I think he is just selling the red buttons ("modified" meaning they are just painted red instead of black). Because technically those buttons already open the exhaust valves on the M's, when you enter into M1 or M2 mode if it's configured for Sport. I know technically there are instances where the exhaust valve closes while in M1 mode, like under a certain speed, cold engine temps, etc. But I think his title is just referring to these buttons as the exhaust valve buttons because that's one of the functions that is activated by default with the M keys. The flaps open when I enter M1 mode on my f80 M3, but to override the instances where they close under certain circumstances, I use the BimmerLink app to keep them permanently opened. It would be cool if this guy did actually mod them like you are thinking, but I don't think that's really the case.
      01-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #29
doumyouji
Private
Rep
Drives: 435I GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_BK View Post
Quote:

Actually someone in china has been doing this mod for business
they mod the M1/M2 botton for exhaust flap control unit
Quote:
this is the guy i get inquiring,although im not getting info for aliexpress

https://market.m.taobao.com/app/idle...8;forceFlush=1
I don't think this is what you are thinking it is. I think the description is just misleading. It says "modified exhaust valve buttons M1 M2 keys", but I think he is just selling the red buttons ("modified" meaning they are just painted red instead of black). Because technically those buttons already open the exhaust valves on the M's, when you enter into M1 or M2 mode if it's configured for Sport. I know technically there are instances where the exhaust valve closes while in M1 mode, like under a certain speed, cold engine temps, etc. But I think his title is just referring to these buttons as the exhaust valve buttons because that's one of the functions that is activated by default with the M keys. The flaps open when I enter M1 mode on my f80 M3, but to override the instances where they close under certain circumstances, I use the BimmerLink app to keep them permanently opened. It would be cool if this guy did actually mod them like you are thinking, but I don't think that's really the case.
I have asked the workshop for the mod
It's for non M car with M1/M2 with chip mount to valve control. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #30
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Suggestion...

VO code in S2MDA, this will open up the M Drive menu on your iDrive. Perhaps then you'd have full OEM function of the buttons.

You'll probably need a M steering wheel module, and possibly a M-Drive switch selector.

Basically, allow you to control what your current DEC (Comfort/Sport/Sport+) switch does, but individually allowing you to preset your Steering / Throttle / EDC (for equipped models) settings.

I'm in the process of attempting this on a F85 (already have the M steering wheel w/ M1 M2 switches and modules present).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #31
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G06/X6

Awesome idea. Thinking of other use cases. But having these buttons activate drive modes would be fantastic. Where can I get these buttons? I would prefer them in black.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #32
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRed View Post
Awesome idea. Thinking of other use cases. But having these buttons activate drive modes would be fantastic. Where can I get these buttons? I would prefer them in black.
Amazon or aliexpress
      01-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #33
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Amazon or aliexpress
I must be blind but I could not find any in black.

Also, what must be done to light them up like the rest of the steering controls?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #34
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Amazon or aliexpress

Also, what must be done to light them up like the rest of the steering controls?

Thanks.
Its possible the're not offered in black anymore. You cpuld ask a buddy with an m3/4 that swapped his out for another color. I have to check again if mine light up
      01-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #35
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Amazon or aliexpress

Thanks.
Its possible the're not offered in black anymore. You cpuld ask a buddy with an m3/4 that swapped his out for another color. I have to check again if mine light up
Does anyone have 2 M1/2 BLACK buttons that they are willing to part with.

Willing to pay reasonable amount.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #36
umpadupa
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36

Damn you guys are next level. I hate taking my hands off the wheel just to find the sport+ selector. If this works, it would make the car that much better!! Keep up the hard work guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:51 AM   #37
Alpine.N55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Didn't see this thread until today. I'm also working on a similar project.. will keep everyone posted. The plan is to get the M1 & M2 buttons properly seated in the F30 steering controls. At the moment they do not click down properly since I need grease for the plastic. Once I get them to seat, I will be tapping into the contacts for the buttons and soldering them to the connections for the open & close buttons on my exhaust cutout remote.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJzchMJxRE/
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #38
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine.N55 View Post
Didn't see this thread until today. I'm also working on a similar project.. will keep everyone posted. The plan is to get the M1 & M2 buttons properly seated in the F30 steering controls. At the moment they do not click down properly since I need grease for the plastic. Once I get them to seat, I will be tapping into the contacts for the buttons and soldering them to the connections for the open & close buttons on my exhaust cutout remote.
That wast original plan! I ran into the same issue. A little dielectric grease should do the trick. Keep us posted
      01-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #39
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List
Quote:
Anything is "possible", but unless you can run a cable all the way to the rocker switch (not ideal) you'd need to run a wireless setup. Probably along the lines of what i want to do with the cutout/meth.
This is the remote/relay setup I'm going with.
eMylo DC 12V 1CH RF Relay... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6VOH9W...p_mob_ap_share
Intressting!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #40
Alpine.N55
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That wast original plan! I ran into the same issue. A little dielectric grease should do the trick. Keep us posted
My plan as of now is to tap into the canbus. I'm hoping that the buttons built into the steering control circuit board will still be sending a command even though the buttons are meant to be blanks. If they do and it's unique, I'll be able to make this work.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 10:12 PM   #41
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My plan as of now is to tap into the canbus. I'm hoping that the buttons built into the steering control circuit board will still be sending a command even though the buttons are meant to be blanks. If they do and it's unique, I'll be able to make this work.
Do we know if there is light source under the blanks?

If not how do we get it?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #42
Alpine.N55
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do we know if there is light source under the blanks?

If not how do we get it?
There are points for the leds on the circuit board but they are not installed. All you'd need are 2 SMD leds
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #43
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys. I've looked far and wide, but it seems no one has attempted this. I was looking to see how feasible it is to buy the M1 and M2 buttons and install them where the blanks currently sit. Pics of buttons below
EDIT: Buttons installed! And they definitely press like the others. But have not doen any wiring. So for now they just look cool.

Obviously you would need the M-Sport wheel WITHOUT the active cruise control. Reason i ask is if i can get the button cover to physically press like the rest than I could theoretically sauder into the circuit board behind the bottons and wire that to a remote that controls an aftermarket exhaust valve or meth kit.

If u have ideas or have seen someone already attempt this please share.

Cheers
Do they light up when lights are on?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:17 PM   #44
MadRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyghtryda View Post
I have thought about doing the same thing, and have looked up what it would cost to buy a spare set of M Sport buttons to cut up and rewire. I'm pretty sure at this point that cutting and rewiring won't be necessary. From the look of the pinouts it should be as simple as popping off the blanks, put in the M buttons, then attempt to tap the LIN port off the steering wheel controller or just tap the CAN BUS of the steering controller. CAN bus would give you more info, but LIN bus guarantees you that the signal absolutely coming from the steering wheel buttons.
Any idea if it will light up when lights are on?
Appreciate 0