F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > New Info for People Who Want to Buy their Cars at Lease End
Extreme Powerhouse

08-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I'm still anxious about what will happen next year for me. Considering I purchased the car when I was in a different state (Kentucky) from a dealer that was out of state (California) and now live in Ohio, I wonder if I should start talking to dealers now and developing that relationship? I'm assuming it doesn't matter who I complete the purchase through, but I also plan on buying my lease based on my track record and current attachment to the car. And I'm not going to get a G22 since they won't have a manual option. I also have a 30k lease, but i'll be teetering on 15k based on my current driving record.

I'm *hoping* my current dealer jumps in the mix so I can work with someone local. Although setting up the lease with the california dealer was not difficult at all. I just wouldn't mind getting a long term relationship set up now that I'll probably be here for the long haul.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #24
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I'm still anxious about what will happen next year for me. Considering I purchased the car when I was in a different state (Kentucky) from a dealer that was out of state (California) and now live in Ohio, I wonder if I should start talking to dealers now and developing that relationship? I'm assuming it doesn't matter who I complete the purchase through, but I also plan on buying my lease based on my track record and current attachment to the car. And I'm not going to get a G22 since they won't have a manual option. I also have a 30k lease, but i'll be teetering on 15k based on my current driving record.

I'm *hoping* my current dealer jumps in the mix so I can work with someone local. Although setting up the lease with the california dealer was not difficult at all. I just wouldn't mind getting a long term relationship set up now that I'll probably be here for the long haul.
Doesn't make a difference which dealer it is - its the current deal BMW Financial is doing, $4k off the 2016 models, just like they did with the 2015's. Yeah, the mileage is the thing really. I just can't really stomach cutting BMW a check for $2k and handing them the keys to my car. And I still love driving it etc. so I figure I can do 3-4 more years in it max, have a little equity in the car and trade up at that point.

I don't see keeping the car until the wheels come off though cuz I'm sort of gunning for a soccer mom SUV type deal lately. Just getting a little annoyed with having a trunk that basically fits nothing besides groceries and luggage, limited utility and totally minimal ground clearance where I have to almost come to a stop when I pull into a driveway or something for fear of scraping the front bumper skid pad.

I give it 2 years. Another reason why I have no interest in extended warranties or any of that because I will prob get rid of it around 60-75k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Even if your lease-end was well within your lease allowance and there was no damage, I would still buy out the car over one that is cheaper by a few thousand dollars just for the peace of mind alone, knowing the cars history vs. saving a few thousand on a car that you wouldn't know how it was treated or maintained.
Yeah I think its worth paying a slight premium to keep 'my car' vs. some random car on the lot. And its sheer laziness as well; I would just like to keep driving my car and not really have to deal with it.

I do have a lease end pre-inspection on the 26th that I'm going to keep just to see exactly what they'd try to nail me for and kick some tires while I wait.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 08-19-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #25
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

upon further research, I have decided against buying the car. Trade in value on this car right now is around $18000. If I bought, I would be buying it at $10k over that, not including tax. There is that plus the fact that I just need a little more utility in my life at this point. Little more storage, more ground clearance so I'm not scraping the shit out of the front bumper everytime I enter the slightest driveway at a supermarket parking lot, maybe something w/AWD. Looks like I'm leaning towards soccer mom territory.

Moral of story is listen to nothing I say

The way I see it upon further number crunching, I would have to put about $10000 down on the car in order to have a payment similar to what my payment has been and in like 3 years, the car will be worth like 8 grand or something, then I'm paying money on maintenance and repairs. Just doesnt make sense unless I was going to keep it for like 10 years but thats impossible. So ive flip flopped again and I'll prob just lease an X1 M sport or something and call it a day.

mo

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #26
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
I'm considering keeping my F31 and called BMWFS. At least for now, they are only offering a $800 Customer Purchase Promotion, a far cry from the $4k I heard some people are getting. I'm told it does vary month-to-month and by model as well.
      09-17-2019, 11:27 PM   #27
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, it is done. I bought the car today, well anyway, my credit union bought the car. BMWFS took $4k off the residual, I put $8k down, financed the rest w/my credit union for a point lower than the best rate BMW had going and that is that. Proud 'owner' - out of the lease game for a while. Prob do 4-5 years and take it to 100k miles and then get something else. Only way for it to be 'worth it'. All said and done by my math, figuring tax and everything, figuring what I paid on the front end to lease it + buyout, the car ended up costing right about what it would have cost to buy it new. Was $49k msrp, $42.5k selling price thereabouts..

Amusingly, the bank gets Blue Book on the car and I don't know where they get this because it washes out different from what I find on KBB.com or whatever but BB on my car came in at $24700. CPO regionally of my exact car are right around that range and private party is more like $22k. I was just happy to see that blue book is more than what I am financing. No good rolling in an upside ride, just in the event its totaled I mean.

Got a year left of full warranty and maintenance and then, contrary AGAIN to what I have preached about extended warranties, I'll prob buy some extended warranty and maintenance package. Maybe not, who knows. Play'r by ear.

So thats all folks. $4k is the current discount on MY2016 3'ers. I did it for 2 reasons: I didn't want to cut BMW a check for $2500 for mileage overage + tax + a few scratches on the rear bumper and (2) I love the car, I've put every mile on it, it looks and feels pretty close to new and oh yeah, (3) I didn't want the hassle of getting into something else and getting it to my liking. But financially, it isn't exactly the smartest thing I've ever done.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #28
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Well, it is done. I bought the car today, well anyway, my credit union bought the car. BMWFS took $4k off the residual, I put $8k down, financed the rest w/my credit union for a point lower than the best rate BMW had going and that is that. Proud 'owner' - out of the lease game for a while. Prob do 4-5 years and take it to 100k miles and then get something else. Only way for it to be 'worth it'. All said and done by my math, figuring tax and everything, figuring what I paid on the front end to lease it + buyout, the car ended up costing right about what it would have cost to buy it new. Was $49k msrp, $42.5k selling price thereabouts..

Amusingly, the bank gets Blue Book on the car and I don't know where they get this because it washes out different from what I find on KBB.com or whatever but BB on my car came in at $24700. CPO regionally of my exact car are right around that range and private party is more like $22k. I was just happy to see that blue book is more than what I am financing. No good rolling in an upside ride, just in the event its totaled I mean.

Got a year left of full warranty and maintenance and then, contrary AGAIN to what I have preached about extended warranties, I'll prob buy some extended warranty and maintenance package. Maybe not, who knows. Play'r by ear.

So thats all folks. $4k is the current discount on MY2016 3'ers. I did it for 2 reasons: I didn't want to cut BMW a check for $2500 for mileage overage + tax + a few scratches on the rear bumper and (2) I love the car, I've put every mile on it, it looks and feels pretty close to new and oh yeah, (3) I didn't want the hassle of getting into something else and getting it to my liking. But financially, it isn't exactly the smartest thing I've ever done.
Has anyone heard what the residual discount is on 2017’s?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #29
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326 View Post
Has anyone heard what the residual discount is on 2017’s?
Still $800 as of Oct 1. Not surprising, the first MY2017s are hitting their lease-end now. My guess is as more 2017s start coming off lease, there will be better incentives.
      11-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #30
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
How would this affect someone who is interested in getting rid of their car early, not buy it out.

I currently have a 2016 340i lease ending in May of next year, if I took my car to a dealer, would they still be offered by BMWFS this low price and allow me to walk away from the car?

Also does it have to be a BMW dealer or is any dealer up for this low price? Like is carmax or a small used car dealer up for this?
the only reason they are offering to discount the residual is because they are not able to sell the old ones

they aren't going to give you a sweet deal to have another car they can't sell on their lots
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #31
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post

hey man if you paid mid-20s or whatever for a decent car you know the history of and are happy with you came out good. plus you have the msport which makes a huge difference in resale in the real world because people will actually try and buy it versus the more generic ones

i had leased an exec demo '16 328i sport back in dec 2016 and remember laughing seeing that the residual was like 29k. nobody in 2020 is going to pay 30k for a 2016 328i, it was so obvious. was wondering what BMW was going to do once the time came and lo and behold they are having to severely discount them. they are absolutely great cars, loved mine while i had it, but they just don't hold their value. residual should have been like 50% and they were doing nearly 60%

enjoy the car. if i hadn't got rid of the lease i would probably be buying mine for 25k next month.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #32
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
December 2019 promotion

Just got the payoff quote for my car and the Customer Purchase Promotion for my F31 is $4500 now! It was $800 last month.
kern4174442.00
      12-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Just got the payoff quote for my car and the Customer Purchase Promotion for my F31 is $4500 now! It was $800 last month.
What year and model do you have?
4500 makes the payoff competitive
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #34
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2017 F31d.
      12-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #35
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2017 F31d.
Does anyone know in NJ if after you pay off BMW financial services do you need to register the car again?
The registration is in BMWs name right now

I assume they send you the title or they send the title to the bank if you’re financing so I guess it would be just like you bought the car from a dealer or a private party but any info would be appreciated
Thanks

Themush
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #36
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know in NJ if after you pay off BMW financial services do you need to register the car again?
The registration is in BMWs name right now

I assume they send you the title or they send the title to the bank if you’re financing so I guess it would be just like you bought the car from a dealer or a private party but any info would be appreciated
Thanks

Themush
You'll have to transfer it to the new owner of the car. Also in Ohio it is registered as a Lease and taxed differently, so probably some other minor details that require re-registration (even if you finance through BMW).

I'm curious when I'll get a payoff quote. Lease is up next August and I'm getting kind of antsy. I know I'm going keep it, so hope it's a good deal. It doesn't seem like there's any room to negotiate any more.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #37
themush1326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 2017 F31d.
How did you find out about the promotion
Did they mail you something or was it just deducted from your pay off how did it work exactly
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #38
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How did you find out about the promotion
Did they mail you something or was it just deducted from your pay off how did it work exactly
It's just deducted from the payoff and part of the payoff letter they generate. Call BMWFS or try to generate a payoff letter from your online account.
      07-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #39
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Bump. Any tips to get the best deal on a lease buyout? All of my dealer offers are to get me into a 2020 but I want to keep mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #40
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

I called BMW FS directly and they offered me a $3k discount without me even asking. So I'm happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #41
Dortbeyg
Rep
Drives: 430i

Thanks for the advice!

Personally - I would be inclined to buy it at the end of the lease. Even if you can recredit the finance so you're basically just paying the same payment it's just as worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0