F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fuel Filter Clips
GetBMWParts

12-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Fuel Filter Clips

Any chance anyone knows a part number or source for for the little clips that go on the fuel filter? The factory ones were quite stubborn and ended up breaking last change. I went to the auto parts store and got a universal kit but none were an exact match. I ended up using one from the kit with a wire tie to hold in place. Its 40k later and its held fine but its coming time to tackle it again, so I'd like to get the right part on there if I can find it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

I fucking hate that clip. Took me 1 hour to put the damn thing back on. It kept rubbing just before going through the exit holes, I had to put the clip on a vice and bend the ends of the clip so they are not so angled out. I'm dreading doing my fuel filter again because of the clip. I'm wondering if we can find an after market solution? Fuck BMW for over engineering shit like this. The fuel filter for my NMS Passat TDI and MK6 Jetta TDI were both in the engine bay in a canister that took about 4-5 torx screws to take a part, the entire job took 15 mins.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The larger metal one or other little plastic ones?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1471

FWIW, the larger metal clip has a harder time going in when the heater module isn't all the way in or fully seated.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Any chance anyone knows a part number or source for for the little clips that go on the fuel filter? The factory ones were quite stubborn and ended up breaking last change. I went to the auto parts store and got a universal kit but none were an exact match. I ended up using one from the kit with a wire tie to hold in place. Its 40k later and its held fine but its coming time to tackle it again, so I'd like to get the right part on there if I can find it. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's the little plastic ones that broke on me, can't seem to find a PN for those. I didn't have the tool to squeeze the tabs so I attempted to pop it apart and broke it. I think they are a commonly broken item since the auto parts store sells a kit with 5 different types in it. (Not this one of course) I think I ended up using one for GM cars since it was closest, but like I said it wasn't an exact fit so I had to back it up with a wire tie to make sure the line was secure.

The metal one was a PITA as well, but I just filed it down on the ends to give it a slightly different contour and it went on with just a little wrestling.

Last edited by kdog_x; 12-21-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
wicked510
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive

I did the same exact thing. Currently running with both sides taped on there.... I will check out the clip kit you mentioned.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0882

It looks like part #1 but it would be silly to replace the hose because of the plastic clip
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
hrdkrpmp
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI 320d M Sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
anyone get any further with these? I ordered an extra hose used but would like to get spares for next time
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
I fucking hate that clip. Took me 1 hour to put the damn thing back on. It kept rubbing just before going through the exit holes, I had to put the clip on a vice and bend the ends of the clip so they are not so angled out. I'm dreading doing my fuel filter again because of the clip. I'm wondering if we can find an after market solution? Fuck BMW for over engineering shit like this. The fuel filter for my NMS Passat TDI and MK6 Jetta TDI were both in the engine bay in a canister that took about 4-5 torx screws to take a part, the entire job took 15 mins.
This is going to sound dumb. But I had the same experience... Ended up just popping the clip on the outside of the filter. It snapped into place on the outside and held as far as I can tell. Does what I am saying make sense at all? I might have to take pictures for you
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
This is going to sound dumb. But I had the same experience... Ended up just popping the clip on the outside of the filter. It snapped into place on the outside and held as far as I can tell. Does what I am saying make sense at all? I might have to take pictures for you
The metal clip? I wouldn't feel comfortable not having that one fully seated for fear it would vibrate it's way loose. The angle is terrible on it though... I spent a good hour messing with it before I ended up just filing it down a little. It still takes a little wrestling, but now it installs in 5 minutes and it's still plenty secure. I'll have to snap a picture next time I have it off, I'm due to change filter again soon. Going to do the transfer case flange mod and guibo while I'm down there. Got some Loctite 660 coming on a slow boat from China, so probably will be a project in the next few weeks.

I would love to get the correct plastic clips, but it appears BMW picked a non standard size (at least in the US) and only made it available with a replacement fuel line. The GM clip and a wire tie over it has been holding fine though.

Last edited by kdog_x; 02-19-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
The metal clip? I wouldn't feel comfortable not having that one fully seated for fear it would vibrate it's way loose. The angle is terrible on it though... I spent a good hour messing with it before I ended up just filing it down a little. It still takes a little wrestling, but now it installs in 5 minutes and it's still plenty secure. I'll have to snap a picture next time I have it off, I'm due to change filter again soon. Going to do the transfer case flange mod and guibo while I'm down there. Got some Loctite 660 coming on a slow boat from China, so probably will be a project in the next few weeks.

I would love to get the correct plastic clips, but it appears BMW picked a non standard size (at least in the US) and only made it available with a replacement fuel line. The GM clip and a wire tie over it has been holding fine though.
Yeah if you do not mind. Please send a photo if you can
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Changed the filter again last night. Here is a picture of my modified metal clip. Goes in in 30 seconds with a few hammer taps. Still takes alot of force to get it back out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Changed the filter again last night. Here is a picture of my modified metal clip. Goes in in 30 seconds with a few hammer taps. Still takes alot of force to get it back out.
Is there any DIY online showing how to remove the plastic ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Haha, I could use a DIY on that one. I successfully broke both the front and back plastic ones, they are ridiculously fragile. As long as one is still intact, a wire tie the same width as the clip seems to suffice. These are the correct tool (which I bought after breaking both)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:47 AM   #14
26Ben19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I know this is an old post, but I came across it during a google search and wanted to make sure that if anyone else does the same they do not follow the misinformation on this post.

You do not need to modify this clip as shown above. This clip is not designed to go through the slits as shown in the above images, it is designed to sit either side of the slits.

Here is a reference image:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
jimk101.00
      12-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Ben19 View Post
I know this is an old post, but I came across it during a google search and wanted to make sure that if anyone else does the same they do not follow the misinformation on this post.

You do not need to modify this clip as shown above. This clip is not designed to go through the slits as shown in the above images, it is designed to sit either side of the slits.

Here is a reference image:

View post on imgur.com
Ha, interesting. So I managed to make an easy process more difficult. Well, I can report after 4 or 5 filters that it still stays in place even if anyone has installed it the 'hard' way lol

Last edited by kdog_x; 12-25-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #16
15328Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

Hey all, does anyone have the part number for the little green plastic clips on the other side of the filter? Not the metal U ring. I can't find them anywhere, I'd like to have an extra set on hand. I'm assuming a hose clamp could also work in a pinch but would prefer a fresh set of plastic clips if I can find them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #17
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

It sounds like BMW is using non-standard clips for the fuel line, and replacement I was able to find online is part of the line assembly. That is surely a waste. Watched a video on YouTube of a guy removing the line by disassembling the plastic connector, but as kdog_x stated, these plastic clips are not intended to be pulled out - instead using this tool the plastic is pushed in like a button from two sides, which will release the line without needing to risk removing these clips. I was trying to find a video specific to our clips and where exactly to push with this tool, but cannot find any. Will be replacing fuel filter in 2000 miles, so I will snap some photos. Any guidance appreciated from anyone that used this tool to remove the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you find a replacement set of clips anywhere definitely let us know. I don't believe they're available other than as part of the line assembly.

If you have the plier tool I would imagine it should come off fairly easily. The tool just pushes The buttons a lot harder than possible with your fingers.

I have the tool now, but I can't offer any guidance using it since I already broke the factory clip.
Appreciate 0