F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Performance Exhaust - I can't hear you
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
A resonator delete will only increase drone since you drive in comfort most of the time.

If you want the MPE to be louder with your current driving habits you'll need to go catless with the oem resonator. Else you change the system.

The loudest valved exhaust with the valve closed is probably that new Valvetronic system in a recent thread — bar the really expensive meistercrafts and Armytrix systems. But those systems al have a what seems like huge mufflers in the axleback. — The race version (valvetronic) is an axleback with a small straight through resonator on one pipe, and just a valve on the other. The street version replaces the small resonator with a quieter muffler.
Valvetronic actually decided to ditch the race version because of the drone, even with stock midpipe; so they are selling just the street version. I have it installed along with a catless downpipe and stock midpipe and it's a great refined sound. I'm looking for a little bit more though so I'm contemplating deleting the res
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

Quick and dirty: 435 MPE resonator delete vs stock M3 Comp pack.

Appreciate 2
      10-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Valvetronic actually decided to ditch the street version because of the drone, even with stock midpipe; so they are selling just the street version. I have it installed along with a catless downpipe and stock midpipe and it's a great refined sound. I'm looking for a little bit more though so I'm contemplating deleting the res
You mean they ditch the race version right?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #26
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Valvetronic actually decided to ditch the street version because of the drone, even with stock midpipe; so they are selling just the street version. I have it installed along with a catless downpipe and stock midpipe and it's a great refined sound. I'm looking for a little bit more though so I'm contemplating deleting the res
You mean they ditch the race version right?
Correct, I mistyped haha, edited now
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #27
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

So the race version drone with with the resonator on?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
So the race version drone with with the resonator on?
Race version is basically a muffler delete and muffler delete's drone even with a resonator.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #29
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL335D View Post
I pulled the clip on the stock exhaust, wired the flap open and the only change in sound that I noticed was on start up. Will I notice more of a change with the MPE? I don't like driving the car in sport or sport + due to it staying in a lower gear most of the time.
if you're in comfort most of the time, the flap is closed most of the time. i think the MPE will still be louder if the flap is open even if you're driving at a level where it would normally be closed. MPE(axle-back) is basically the mildest loudness upgrade of all the axle-backs, though.

it would have been better you got a REMUS or AWE cat-back instead, but since you already have the MPE i still say just fork out for the CG Precision DS-1 catted down pipe. it's not cheap but you'll get a decent performance bump in addition to the sound. shop around and check out the classifieds below. black friday will be coming up very fast as well.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=451

also in the future you'll get better responses for N55 engine modifications in this sub-forum.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=421
Don't you need to tune it after putting the down pipe ?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #30
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I recently purchased a pre owned MPE (340 number on the can and 10k miles on it) for my 435 GC and got it installed yesterday. First thing my mechanic said when I went to pick the car up..."are you sure you got the right exhaust" I said what do you mean? He said "it's louder when you start the car, but that's about it". With an awkward grin on his face he said "how much did you pay for that?!?!" I've worked with him for years.

A little back ground. I'm 43 and coming from a 2017 f80 competition pack with the OEM "sport" exhaust, which is at least 20 times louder (maybe more) than this m-performance exhaust. The M3 sounds like a monster inside the cabin (active sound deleted) next to my F36. The funny thing is, the majority of the F80 guys don't think the comp pack exhaust is loud enough. I don't understand how BMW can call this a "performance" exhaust then you have to drive with the windows down below 30 and at WOT to hear it!!! And yes I did watch videos and thought it sounded okay in the drive away shots. Maybe I just got used to the noise of the M3, because I remember being impressed by the MPE I had on my f30 328. And I also remember thinking "woah, how can that be street legal" when I first heard the sales manager start up my M3 on the showroom floor.

So now, the question is, how can I make it louder (no drone) to where I can actually hear it with the windows up? MPPK (only louder crackles?)? Resonator straight pipe? Catted DP? Will the catted DP pass emission check in MA?

I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Thank you all.
I do have a 435i.

Is it lighter than the oem one?

I noticed the one that I bought is way lighter than the oem muffler.

I also changed it to MPE and I didn't see that big of difference because the expectations was high.

But after driving it for a while and compare it with other vehicle i found it has very nice sound from outside with really nice burbles .

I put an open air intake recently and the exhaust sound become louder and more burbles.

I'm thinking to do resonator delete but I feel it will sound not good from inside or annoying.

For the catted down pipe, don't you need to tune the car after install it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #31
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO-FamilySedan View Post
Quote:
I recently purchased a pre owned MPE (340 number on the can and 10k miles on it) for my 435 GC and got it installed yesterday. First thing my mechanic said when I went to pick the car up..."are you sure you got the right exhaust" I said what do you mean? He said "it's louder when you start the car, but that's about it". With an awkward grin on his face he said "how much did you pay for that?!?!" I've worked with him for years.

A little back ground. I'm 43 and coming from a 2017 f80 competition pack with the OEM "sport" exhaust, which is at least 20 times louder (maybe more) than this m-performance exhaust. The M3 sounds like a monster inside the cabin (active sound deleted) next to my F36. The funny thing is, the majority of the F80 guys don't think the comp pack exhaust is loud enough. I don't understand how BMW can call this a "performance" exhaust then you have to drive with the windows down below 30 and at WOT to hear it!!! And yes I did watch videos and thought it sounded okay in the drive away shots. Maybe I just got used to the noise of the M3, because I remember being impressed by the MPE I had on my f30 328. And I also remember thinking "woah, how can that be street legal" when I first heard the sales manager start up my M3 on the showroom floor.

So now, the question is, how can I make it louder (no drone) to where I can actually hear it with the windows up? MPPK (only louder crackles?)? Resonator straight pipe? Catted DP? Will the catted DP pass emission check in MA?

I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Thank you all.
If you want it louder do a resonator delete and add a DP. Fabspeed catted DP guarantees no CEL.
So with this down pipe, no need for a tune?

Will it pass the smog check in CA?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #32
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyad.habeeb View Post
both, fabspeed and cg precision ds-1, are high flow cats that do not trigger a cel, can run standalone without a tune and provide a decent gain.

flash tune and catted downpipe together will yield more gains.

of course, if you elect to go catless then you need the flash tune to clear the cel that will be triggered.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
both, fabspeed and cg precision ds-1, are high flow cats that do not trigger a cel, can run standalone without a tune and provide a decent gain.

flash tune and catted downpipe together will yield more gains.

of course, if you elect to go catless then you need the flash tune to clear the cel that will be triggered.
How much are they?

Will they void warranty?

Will it pass smog in CA?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #34
DL335D
Captain
Rep

A little low RPM drone came when I removed the exhaust flap clip. Didn't get any worse from deleting the resonator.

I'm thinking about putting the clip back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #35
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How much are they?
Will they void warranty?
Will it pass smog in CA?
$979 or $1395 plus ship

if something went wrong with your engine or transmission, any engine modification, especially mods such as piggy-back or flash tunes, down pipes, etc., may jeopardize that part of the warranty.

i don't know what is required to pass smog in CA but if i had to guess, i would say it will NOT pass.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #36
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A little low RPM drone came when I removed the exhaust flap clip. Didn't get any worse from deleting the resonator.

Why not install a j pipe to help with the drone.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:50 AM   #37
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
if you have not done it already, remove the connector to the left exhast flap while it is open so that it remains open all the time. seal the open connector from the elements and "zip tie" it out of the way.

then, get this...

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/DS-1-...egory=17975132
Do you have one of these DPs on your car? Any more info on the company or who makes the cat that they use?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #38
DL335D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why not install a j pipe to help with the drone.
Something like this?

http://belgoz.com/BMW/EB89_P263_I011.JPG
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #39
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Do you have one of these DPs on your car? Any more info on the company or who makes the cat that they use?
I know there are a few members here with it(cg) on their b58 as well as n55, however i do not have more info other than what's here(in forums) or through google search.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=16

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...precision+ds-1

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 10-20-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50