F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

12-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #45
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
Yeah shame the quality all round just isn't there
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Are you referring to the call quality on your speakers or on the recipient's end? I'm surprised the quality is such an issue for you. I've noticed the call quality actually sounds better through my speakers via CarPlay than OEM Bluetooth. I haven't compared how I sound, but haven't received any complaints on the far end. Maybe it's my HK system?
I can understand wanting to be able to be able to hang up through HUD/steering wheel.
Sounds like you either have a defective unit or not optimized Volume settings. AUX volume in iDrive should be set to 1. And the unit volume settings should also be toned down/modified. Calls still sounding nearly HD in CarPlay for me. Anyone else having Terry's issue or is he the only one? Seems to be the only one so far.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #46
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Sounds like you either have a defective unit or not optimized Volume settings. AUX volume in iDrive should be set to 1. And the unit volume settings should also be toned down/modified. Calls still sounding nearly HD in CarPlay for me. Anyone else having Terry's issue or is he the only one? Seems to be the only one so far.
Aux set to 1? I am up at 8 I think with the unit set to around 10. Would have to check.

So the main issue I have is that if you use the unit for calls, you cannot listen to the ID radio as you will simply not receive incoming calls.

So when I hear the callers voice - yes it is way clearer than BT, however it clips and distorts.

If I back to back ring someone from CarPlay and then BMW BT they all say the BMW BT for them is far superior. They say CarPlay isn't bad - but if you back to back them BMW is 10 times better.

Would be interested to see your settings, so:

ID Aux Vol:

Andream Box Overall Volume:

Mic Volume:

Mic OP:

Mic PGA:

Mic Delay:

AEC Quality:
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #47
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Why 1? I have it currently at 20 in iDrive and then at a low value in the unit itself. But for no special reason, still experimenting.

Regarding calls, I only had one call so far and didn't have the time to ask about the quality (the mic on my end). But the sound itself was much much better than that of the OEM BT connection. Also the initiation of the call was almost instant, with OEM BT it takes at least 4 seconds until it starts ringing. But that might just be an Android thing. As you know the BMW Android integration is terrible.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #48
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

is nobody bothered they can't listen to the radio anymore if the phone is going through the unit?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #49
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
is nobody bothered they can't listen to the radio anymore if the phone is going through the unit?
If you use the BMW BT for the phone, does it ring when using carplay ?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #50
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
If you use the BMW BT for the phone, does it ring when using carplay ?
Yes it rings CarPlay and you can answer with steering wheel and HUD
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #51
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So what's the issue then, just use the BMW BT for the phone and jobs a goodun ?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #52
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So what's the issue then, just use the BMW BT for the phone and jobs a goodun ?
I am mate
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #53
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am mate
I just don't understand why you would want to use the Carplay for the phone, if the BMW system works as normal.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #54
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am mate
I just don't understand why you would want to use the Carplay for the phone, if the BMW system works as normal.
I don't especially, just tried it on the box to see what it was like and surprised it was so bad. So curious what setting others are using.

Like I said, if you use your ID radio and CarPlay for phone you will not receive a call. So surprised anyone is using the box instead of BMW
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #55
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't especially, just tried it on the box to see what it was like and surprised it was so bad. So curious what setting others are using.

Like I said, if you use your ID radio and CarPlay for phone you will not receive a call. So surprised anyone is using the box instead of BMW
I will let you know what mine is like, if it ever gets dispatched
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #56
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
How do you choose which connection will be used?
My phone is connected to both BT connections and I still have to check that.

Quote:
I don't really understand your use case.
Do you use e.g. Google Maps in CarPlay while listening to the radio in the background?
If so, you could put the AUX input to one of the favorite keys to quickly switch to it if e.g. a call comes in.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #57
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Quote:
How do you choose which connection will be used?
My phone is connected to both BT connections and I still have to check that.

Quote:
I don't really understand your use case.
Do you use e.g. Google Maps in CarPlay while listening to the radio in the background?
If so, you could put the AUX input to one of the favorite keys to quickly switch to it if e.g. a call comes in.
Not sure what you mean?

What I am saying about the radio is if you have your source set to Radio on the ID and your phone is connected to the Andream box and it rings, you won't know it's ringing as the Aux source will not auto switch away from the radio just because a call is coming in
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #58
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Correct, that's why I suggested the manual switch.
You only won't know if a call is coming in if you are not actively using the unit, i.e. if your display input is set to the original HU.
And if you use radio as audio source and iDrive as image source, then what do you need the unit for?^^ That's why I asked about your use case as I still don't quite understand it.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #59
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Correct, that's why I suggested the manual switch.
You only won't know if a call is coming in if you are not actively using the unit, i.e. if your display input is set to the original HU.
And if you use radio as audio source and iDrive as image source, then what do you need the unit for?^^ That's why I asked about your use case as I still don't quite understand it.
Sometimes I may just use the radio and ID so it would render the phone useless, hence why I will just stick with the BMW BT as it works both ways round.

However predominantly I will use Carplay
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #60
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

In that case I would just not connect to CarPlay in the first place, or is this done automatically on iPhones? (It isn't for Android, you have to manually select it)

Out of curiosity, if you make a call over the BMW BT and then e.g. switch to CarPlay while on the call, is CarPlay showing an active call?
Like I said, never tested this but in my head it sounds logical: The phone is making the call and CarPlay is coming from the phone, so....
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #61
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In that case I would just not connect to CarPlay in the first place, or is this done automatically on iPhones? (It isn't for Android, you have to manually select it)

Out of curiosity, if you make a call over the BMW BT and then e.g. switch to CarPlay while on the call, is CarPlay showing an active call?
Like I said, never tested this but in my head it sounds logical: The phone is making the call and CarPlay is coming from the phone, so....
You can be in Carplay and make a call from Siri in CarPlay or use the phone screen in the HUD and it routes it via the BMW BT, however still switches the CarPlay screen to the CarPlay phone screen.

When you receive a call through BMW BT It still notifies you through CarPlay of the incoming call. You can then use the wheel controls to answer it.

This is why I don't understand why anyone using CarPlay would not just stick with the BMW BT module connection.

I would imagine this is how it's done on an OEM BMW CarPlay system, I assume it always uses the BMW BT module
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #62
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Perfect, thanks for clarifying.
This was my original plan anyway, I never intended to use the unit's BT connection.

At least in Android and I'm sure for iOS too, you can take away the 'Phone Call' action (or permission?) for that BT connection so that the phone will never use it for calls.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #63
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, thanks for clarifying.
This was my original plan anyway, I never intended to use the unit's BT connection.

At least in Android and I'm sure for iOS too, you can take away the 'Phone Call' action (or permission?) for that BT connection so that the phone will never use it for calls.
Out of interest, how is front PDC going for you?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #64
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
You can be in Carplay and make a call from Siri in CarPlay or use the phone screen in the HUD and it routes it via the BMW BT, however still switches the CarPlay screen to the CarPlay phone screen.

When you receive a call through BMW BT It still notifies you through CarPlay of the incoming call. You can then use the wheel controls to answer it.

This is why I don't understand why anyone using CarPlay would not just stick with the BMW BT module connection.

I would imagine this is how it's done on an OEM BMW CarPlay system, I assume it always uses the BMW BT module
I listen to Spotify and Sirius satellite radio. No FM. CarPlay has an app for both Spotify and Sirius and alerts me when I get calls. Everything sounds great. No need for OEM interface in my case.

Quote:
Aux set to 1? I am up at 8 I think with the unit set to around 10. Would have to check.

So the main issue I have is that if you use the unit for calls, you cannot listen to the ID radio as you will simply not receive incoming calls.

So when I hear the callers voice - yes it is way clearer than BT, however it clips and distorts.

If I back to back ring someone from CarPlay and then BMW BT they all say the BMW BT for them is far superior. They say CarPlay isn't bad - but if you back to back them BMW is 10 times better.

Would be interested to see your settings, so:

ID Aux Vol:

Andream Box Overall Volume:

Mic Volume:

Mic OP:

Mic PGA:

Mic Delay:

AEC Quality:
Quote:
Why 1? I have it currently at 20 in iDrive and then at a low value in the unit itself. But for no special reason, still experimenting.

Regarding calls, I only had one call so far and didn't have the time to ask about the quality (the mic on my end). But the sound itself was much much better than that of the OEM BT connection. Also the initiation of the call was almost instant, with OEM BT it takes at least 4 seconds until it starts ringing. But that might just be an Android thing. As you know the BMW Android integration is terrible.
I will post this tonight. I saw a Bimmertech video detailing the box and they say 1 for Aux volume is usually good. I think this probably minimizes auxiliary static, etc.

Last edited by mlev; 12-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #65
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
I'm actually but I think most of the channels I listened to are available on TuneIn.

It is funny that one of the FM channels is 10 seconds delayed in comparison to TuneIn! Has nothing to with the MMI though.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #66
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:

Out of the box, it works flawlessly except the part where I need to reduce the speaker volume below 50%

Maybe if I tweak these settings the echo issue goes away!
Appreciate 1