F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 435i headache- Misfires and Mystery
ARMA SPEED

10-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
pinbacker
Rep
Drives: 435i X-Drive - Standard

2014 435i headache- Misfires and Mystery

Car Details:
stock
x-drive
manual
93,000 on it.

I just recently bought this car. It's quite a beauty. It's also my first BMW, so I'm learning quite a bit here in how to do repairs and maintenance for one, and have run into my first quandary. The car had been running well, until just the other day I noticed sudden power loss and engine stuttering. What quickly proceeded was a Drivetrain Malfunction error, which stated I could drive moderately.

I took it to the nearest auto parts store to get the code read. It showed Cylinder 5 Misfire. So, first thought and suggestion was for spark plugs to be replaced. So, I did that. I noticed some corrosion on some of the coil packs but nothing too seemingly out of the ordinary with them, (also seeing as how there was just one cylinder which showed a misfire at the start of all this).

I bought a whole new set of 6, Bosch Fine Wire Double Platinum Spark Plugs
Part #: ZR5TPP33S pre-gapped (and it’s worth mentioning, I didn't verify the gap, but should I have?), and, if so should the gap be different than what is factory preset, and be then set to what gap?
I didn't use any anti-seize like suggested, but should I have used dielectric grease?

ALL the plugs taken out were in pretty rough shape and clearly needed replacing, especially Cylinder 5's- completely black, (to note-dry, but) smelled of fuel.

I made sure to correctly seat all the coils after placing in the plugs.
Thinking this would solve everything, I started it up, and ugh same symptoms of rough idle, jittery and inconsistent engine power.
Took it back to get code read and... NOW ALL 6 Cylinders are misfiring, what in the

So, I am appealing to the forum and the experts here as to what I may need to do next. I am trying to avoid bringing it into a shop if possible, as I have enough basic knowledge, the internet, and the tools to do most all basic to intermediate repairs/servicing myself, but... this is a new car for me, and it's a BMW, (not a honda civic si, like my previous car was).
I have all new cylinder packs on order to arrive Sunday, anyone feel this could be the cause now that new plugs are in? Or something more nefarious?

Thank you all.

Last edited by pinbacker; 10-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have read before that certain types of plugs can cause issues, no idea why to be honest. Was in a garage last year where a 320i was being serviced and they replaced the plugs and the car was rough. The mechanic came back and said putting the original plugs back in and the car was fine, new plugs and rough as hell?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would replace all spark plugs if one is misfiring. It will cost you something but will be more reasonable if you diy. You may need to replace all coil packs as well. Not sure how soon you need those but you can get them from FCP Euro for a lifetime warranty less shipping so it's helpful if you live near them.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I would replace all spark plugs if one is misfiring. It will cost you something but will be more reasonable if you diy. You may need to replace all coil packs as well. Not sure how soon you need those but you can get them from FCP Euro for a lifetime warranty less shipping so it's helpful if you live near them.
To clarify, I did replace all the plugs, and now all cylinders are misfiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

I had a similar issue with my n20. My problem seemed to go away when I drove the car gingerly. Anyway, I followed your same track and replaced the plugs and then the coil packs. The packs ultimately resolved the issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
I have read before that certain types of plugs can cause issues, no idea why to be honest. Was in a garage last year where a 320i was being serviced and they replaced the plugs and the car was rough. The mechanic came back and said putting the original plugs back in and the car was fine, new plugs and rough as hell?
Issue being these are the OEM plugs originally from factory that I replaced with, just minus the BMW logo.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Issue being these are the OEM plugs originally from factory that I replaced with, just minus the BMW logo.
Yes, looks like they are from FCP Euro, replace the coil packs as well and that should solve the problem, these things tend to go bad for some reason eventually and need to be replaced. My friend replaced the plugs and coil packs on his E60 5 series or something and it purrs like a kitten.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Yes, looks like they are from FCP Euro, replace the coil packs as well and that should solve the problem, these things tend to go bad for some reason eventually and need to be replaced. My friend replaced the plugs and coil packs on his E60 5 series or something and it purrs like a kitten.

And I can’t for the life of me figure out, for these plugs I got, the stock gap then should be good as they are- I should verify they are set to the stated specification of course if I’m changing out all the coils? And if not, what should an ideal gap be set to for a stock motor?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
pinbacker
Rep

I should check the gap on the old plugs to see what they ended up at. I need to take out the new plugs and see what the gap is on each and see if it varies from the stated factory preset. I need to figure out if the gap from factory is off. I am trying to avoid having to spend for the new coil packs at this point if it really isn’t them causing issues now too, if it’s just the plugs being not set correctly.

Last edited by pinbacker; 10-19-2019 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Realized not the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
pinbacker
Rep

Interesting

So the factory Bosch ZR5TPP33 verses the one most commonly found for OEM parts after market, there's a variance in the gap. For the non S factory installed ones the gap is .31 and for the S after market OEM the gap is set to .28 what gives?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Krash17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Have you tried to reset adaptations?

I had this same issue with similar codes across all cylinders after I replaced all six spark plugs and coils. Another symptom I had was that on cold starts the car's exhaust would sort of sputter and RPM's would fall low to about 700 then catch itself.
I used MHD to clear the codes and reset adaptations and that immediately corrected the problem - back to running silky smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash17 View Post
I had this same issue with similar codes across all cylinders after I replaced all six spark plugs and coils. Another symptom I had was that on cold starts the car's exhaust would sort of sputter and RPM's would fall low to about 700 then catch itself.
I used MHD to clear the codes and reset adaptations and that immediately corrected the problem - back to running silky smooth.
Ah ok, I've yet to, and quiet honestly don't know how to. I've just the code reader to clear codes. How would I go about this for the N55?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash17 View Post
Ah ok, I've yet to, and quiet honestly don't know how to. I've just the code reader to clear codes. How would I go about this for the N55?
So fuel injector 1 and 5 bad. Doing oil change, 2 plugs and those 2 injectors for $1000
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

OK silly idea. Intake charge pipe? 'Cause a vacuum leak would definitely cause sputtering and misfires. But would it throw AF ratios off enough to make the ECU think it's a misfire.

FWIW, I replaced my charge pipe at 55k miles. The pipe was OK, but all the stupid plastic fittings/nipples to it/around it were brittle as hell. Given all the plastic under the hood, I can't see how at over 90k that stuff wouldn't start cracking up.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #15
pinbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
OK silly idea. Intake charge pipe? 'Cause a vacuum leak would definitely cause sputtering and misfires. But would it throw AF ratios off enough to make the ECU think it's a misfire.

FWIW, I replaced my charge pipe at 55k miles. The pipe was OK, but all the stupid plastic fittings/nipples to it/around it were brittle as hell. Given all the plastic under the hood, I can't see how at over 90k that stuff wouldn't start cracking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
Eh with this, there was fuel and oil mixing where it shouldn't have been, and 5's orig spark plug was gone to hell.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3486.00