F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bluetooth Integration with Google Maps
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
lsedels
Rep
Drives: 2016 428XI Coupe

Bluetooth Integration with Google Maps

I have a 2016 328XI 2-dr coupe. When I purchased my car, I made it a point to ensure that it included bluetooth.

So my bluetooth works fine when making/receiving cell phone calls. And it even carries my itunes from my iphone (although the sound is better if you connect it wired into the USB port).

But when I program a route into my Google Maps on my iphone and I click the "Start" button to go into Voice Navigation, not only does the voice not carry over the bluetooth connection, it doesn't carry over the wired connection either. And what's worse, it stops the voice from coming from the iphone.

Yet, strangely enough ... if I play from itunes on my phone, and then program a route on Google Maps and click to go into Voice Navigation, it works perfectly (every time the voice has a step in the directions to say, it temporarily reduces the volume on what is playing from itunes and transmits the voice navigation from that step in the directions just fine and then increases the volume again back to what it was).

When I pointed this out to my SA, he got the shop foreman involved and the shop foreman claimed that I do not have the right options in my car for this to work properly. I am suspicious.

Has anyone dealt with this or does anyone know the answer to this?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
You don't need to ask the same question twice. If some can offer you advice, they will.

06-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Android here... work perfectly fine. Anyone have an iPhone "wink wink".... lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
You don't need to ask the same question twice. If some can offer you advice, they will.
Ever get the thought that maybe some people only view certain forums?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Android here... work perfectly fine. Anyone have an iPhone "wink wink".... lol
So you are able to use the Google Maps Voice Navigation Assistant and you are able to hear the voice over the bluetooth in your BMW with the Bluetooth feature?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post
So you are able to use the Google Maps Voice Navigation Assistant and you are able to hear the voice over the bluetooth in your BMW with the Bluetooth feature?
I only understand your question as if I can hear the navigation on bluetooth. I keep reading your question .. I might have to test it on the car. Usually I don't use voice command on the car because it's so slow. I would just click my phone Google assistant because its alot faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I only understand your question as if I can hear the navigation on bluetooth. I keep reading your question .. I might have to test it on the car. Usually I don't use voice command on the car because it's so slow. I would just click my phone Google assistant because its alot faster.
My bluetooth works fine if I'm just taking a phone call or initiating one. What doesn't work is if I am using Google Maps (an app on my phone) and specifically the voice navigation within Google Maps.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have a 2016 328XI 2-dr coupe. When I purchased my car, I made it a point to ensure that it included bluetooth.

So my bluetooth works fine when making/receiving cell phone calls. And it even carries my itunes from my iphone (although the sound is better if you connect it wired into the USB port).

But when I program a route into my Google Maps on my iphone and I click the "Start" button to go into Voice Navigation, not only does the voice not carry over the bluetooth connection, it doesn't carry over the wired connection either. And what's worse, it stops the voice from coming from the iphone.

Yet, strangely enough ... if I play from itunes on my phone, and then program a route on Google Maps and click to go into Voice Navigation, it works perfectly (every time the voice has a step in the directions to say, it temporarily reduces the volume on what is playing from itunes and transmits the voice navigation from that step in the directions just fine and then increases the volume again back to what it was).

When I pointed this out to my SA, he got the shop foreman involved and the shop foreman claimed that I do not have the right options in my car for this to work properly. I am suspicious.

Has anyone dealt with this or does anyone know the answer to this?

Many thanks in advance.
This is a Google Maps setting, not your car.

If you are listening to BT in the car, it should be interrupted by nav instructions. But if you are listening to satellite radio or terrestrial radio--or nothing--then you need to change the Google Maps settings to either "Play as Incoming Call" or just "Play through Phone Speakers". It's the same reason if your phone is connected to BT and you get a text or email, you won't hear your phone "ding" if you are listening to the radio. The "ding" is sent to the BT input, but the BT input is not selected for listening.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
This is a Google Maps setting, not your car.

If you are listening to BT in the car, it should be interrupted by nav instructions. But if you are listening to satellite radio or terrestrial radio--or nothing--then you need to change the Google Maps settings to either "Play as Incoming Call" or just "Play through Phone Speakers". It's the same reason if your phone is connected to BT and you get a text or email, you won't hear your phone "ding" if you are listening to the radio. The "ding" is sent to the BT input, but the BT input is not selected for listening.
Thanks.

On my google maps, there is only "Play voice over Bluetooth" (which is on) and "Play as Bluetooth phone call" (which is off, but when I turn it on, it interrupts the music for each instruction and a significant amount of each instruction is cut off ... it kinda starts in the middle).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks.

On my google maps, there is only "Play voice over Bluetooth" (which is on) and "Play as Bluetooth phone call" (which is off, but when I turn it on, it interrupts the music for each instruction and a significant amount of each instruction is cut off ... it kinda starts in the middle).
I have the first setting on and the second one off on my Google maps and it works fine.

I recall last year having an issue with bluetooth in my car and I called BMW Genius. They were able to remotely program my NBT and it worked shortly thereafter. Perhaps give them a call and see if they can fix it. It won't cost you anything but a little bit of time.
      06-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks.

If you turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth" then voice prompts will play on your phone's speaker.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
I have the first setting on and the second one off on my Google maps and it works fine.

I recall last year having an issue with bluetooth in my car and I called BMW Genius. They were able to remotely program my NBT and it worked shortly thereafter. Perhaps give them a call and see if they can fix it. It won't cost you anything but a little bit of time.
OK, thanks. And you have the basic bluetooth but not the enhanced bluetooth feature? Mine definitely doesn't work using that configuration.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
lsedels
Rep

Quote:
If you turn off "Play voice over Bluetooth" then voice prompts will play on your phone's speaker.
I'll try that ... thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #14
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OK, thanks. And you have the basic bluetooth but not the enhanced bluetooth feature? Mine definitely doesn't work using that configuration.
I have enhanced Bluetooth but I don't think that should matter. Also you can code enhanced Bluetooth with BimmerCode if you want it.
      06-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
lsedels
Rep

Quote:

So I spoke to BMW Genius. They told me that Google Maps is NOT a tested app, and therefore ... it may work and it may not ... depending upon the vehicle and phone. More recent model years have Apple Car Play which would resolve the issue.

Kind of sad to hear when you spend this kind of money on a car. I've had rental cars that sell for less than half the price where this works just fine. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So I spoke to BMW Genius. They told me that Google Maps is NOT a tested app, and therefore ... it may work and it may not ... depending upon the vehicle and phone. More recent model years have Apple Car Play which would resolve the issue.

Kind of sad to hear when you spend this kind of money on a car. I've had rental cars that sell for less than half the price where this works just fine. Oh well.
That's silly. Google Maps is like one of the most popular apps people use. It's crazy that they wouldn't test it.

I just installed CarPlay last week and it is a game changer.
      06-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
paidnfull
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M Sport

I understand exactly what you're saying cuz I have the same issue on my car. Streaming music and making calls works just fine. But the only way I can get Google Maps to give voice prompts thru my speakers is if I'm already streaming music.

If I'm just on the regular radio or CD, no Google Map prompts over the car speakers. I'm using an android phone too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Here is another thread where people are having the same issue and they seem to have worked through it. I hope it's helpful:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1195247
      06-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #19
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They didn't say it will work if you subscribe to carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidnfull View Post
I understand exactly what you're saying cuz I have the same issue on my car. Streaming music and making calls works just fine. But the only way I can get Google Maps to give voice prompts thru my speakers is if I'm already streaming music.

If I'm just on the regular radio or CD, no Google Map prompts over the car speakers. I'm using an android phone too.
This is how the system is designed. If you are listening to a CD, then your audio system's "input" is the CD player, not Bluetooth. Same if you are listening to the radio. However, Google Maps is putting out voice prompts over Bluetooth, which is not selected as the audio system input.

Just like your TV/audio system at home. If you are watching cable, and you pop a DVD into your DVD player, you won't hear or see anything until you change the input to your DVD player.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is another thread where people are having the same issue and they seem to have worked through it. I hope it's helpful:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1195247
Haha--that was my thread. The result--had to select output over phone's speaker, not BT.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Haha--that was my thread. The result--had to select output over phone's speaker, not BT.

I guess we've come full circle. Looks like there is no real solve for this issue unless you install CarPlay.