F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Combination Switch and Clock spring Install
Studio RSR

06-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
xSauL
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2016 328xi

Unhappy Combination Switch and Clock spring Install

Hello everyone, I broke my clock spring because I didn’t unplug the plug when I removed my steering wheel so I bought a whole new combination switch with a new clock spring because the last owner didn’t know how to remove the clock spring from it so he just gave me the entire piece together. So I installed it and it doesn’t want to work and I’m getting error codes on the Head unit and the windshield wipers won’t turn off. Can someone tell me if it can be coded into my car? The new part says 2012 on it and the part that was previously on my car says 2014, IDK if that matters. I have a 2016 328xi F30 LCI. Pls Help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
bchhabra
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 320i Xdrive

Hi need help to disassemble the multifunction switch

Hi I have a 2014 F30 (320xi) and i am trying to disassemble the multifunction switch to clean the steering angle disc but I cannot get the two parts to separate. I have the multifunction switch out of the car on my bench and I have tried to separate it by opening the plastic clips and it comes loose on three sides but on one side (the side with the windshield wiper stalk) it just doesn't want to separate - I am hesitant to use brute force for fear of breaking something and having to get a brand new unit - car is inoperable until I can fix this and put back the steering wheel....

The unit has the following part number on it /3OS LK 10090225-03 with a date of 23.11.2013. Any help is greatly appreciated. It looks like exactly like the unit in the OP's post.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:31 AM   #3
xSauL
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2016 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchhabra View Post
Hi I have a 2014 F30 (320xi) and i am trying to disassemble the multifunction switch to clean the steering angle disc but I cannot get the two parts to separate. I have the multifunction switch out of the car on my bench and I have tried to separate it by opening the plastic clips and it comes loose on three sides but on one side (the side with the windshield wiper stalk) it just doesn't want to separate - I am hesitant to use brute force for fear of breaking something and having to get a brand new unit - car is inoperable until I can fix this and put back the steering wheel....

The unit has the following part number on it /3OS LK 10090225-03 with a date of 23.11.2013. Any help is greatly appreciated. It looks like exactly like the unit in the OP's post.
If you find out how to do it pls let me know as well lol
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

should be plug and play, no coding required
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
bchhabra
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 320i Xdrive

disassemble the multifunction switch

I am almost ready to give up trying to disassemble this and just buy a used one off edashbay but have been hesitant because I don't know if it will be any good or not and have no way of verifying it without putting it in the steering wheel and putting the car back together. I am an absolute newbie regarding the BMW and don't know how to code or what to even use to "code" - I am sure with searching through the forums I may be able to figure that out but it seems like a world of it's own, so I have some questions that may help me decide next steps...

1. Will a replacement of this unit (exact same part number as mine 61319253746 with same year car but different car model - mine is 320Xi whereas donor car is a 335Xi) require "coding"?

2. Is the coding something I would be able to do - I have an engineering and software background but I don't have any specialized coding equipment except for a small plug-in Autel OBDII scanner ?

3. If it does need to be coded, is there any forum member or indy that can code my car in the Washington Metro area for a reasonable price ($100 or so)?

4. Finally, if someone does figure out how to disassemble the unit so I can clean the inside I would love to do that. I have posted four pictures - the red circles are where I am able to unclip it easily but the yellow section is where it refuses to come apart... btw, cracking it open slightly I was able to peek inside and it looks like it does not even have the optical encoding disc inside this particular model - if that is true then opening it may be a moot point....

The original issue - changed the battery and the DSC,ABS lights came on _ I used the steering angle reset procedure (turn steering wheel side to side) and used my little plug in encoder to remove the faults. However, after driving for 5 minutes the lights come on again and my turn signal switches don't reset. I don't know if the ABS is working or not so I do want to get this fixed. I had taken it to a local shop to recode it but he said that didn't work and something needs to be ordered but it's been many months and I'm told the part is still on back-order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSauL View Post
Hello everyone, I broke my clock spring because I didn’t unplug the plug when I removed my steering wheel so I bought a whole new combination switch with a new clock spring because the last owner didn’t know how to remove the clock spring from it so he just gave me the entire piece together. So I installed it and it doesn’t want to work and I’m getting error codes on the Head unit and the windshield wipers won’t turn off. Can someone tell me if it can be coded into my car? The new part says 2012 on it and the part that was previously on my car says 2014, IDK if that matters. I have a 2016 328xi F30 LCI. Pls Help
Any luck with this I have the same problem?
Appreciate 0