F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B38 bm3 + mppsk?
ARMA SPEED

09-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
SlavTheCommie
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 340i

B38 bm3 + mppsk?

Hi, long(ish) time lurker, first time poster. So I've bought my '17 340i F30 a good while back with the MPPSK already on it (thankful!)

My question is how BM3 will interact with it. I'm sure there's a thread already on this maybe but I've had trouble finding definitive info on it, so I'm hoping for some existing experience.

FYI I apologize for overwhelming questions as I'm a first time "modder" and so far I've (all by myself proudly) added in an AP intake, UR strut bar, CSF heat exchanger, as well as a custom steering wheel and a bunch of other cosmetic CF stuff.

I think I'm ready for a DP and tune. Looking to keep it within the stock turbo's "capabilities" (obviously we pay to play). "Safe" BM3 OTS map experiences with the listed hardware would be great.

My main long winded question is what options I have with BM3 and how it interacts with the MPPSK tune.

*Side question would be what catless DPs have fit well with the MPPSK exhaust? Is the comfort mode subtlety just not an option when going catless?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
SlavTheCommie
Rep

FYI SS brake lines will be next before anything else, already on the way. I think the brake kit I have have enough bite for me (the gray ones idr what the specs are)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

As someone who also has the MPPSK and is looking at going catless, I've asked around the forum and opinions on the effects have been inconsistent. Some have loved and say they love the sound, other say it's too aggressive and the noise is not at all enjoyable. Watching videos doesn't really help since its not the true sound you'll be getting.

I might end up just going high flow cat.
      09-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
SlavTheCommie
Rep

True. Maybe ill go catless and we can compare notes! Just wanna make sure I pick one that fits well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:49 AM   #5
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

MPPSK is like any other tune from BMW, BM3 will deal with it the same way as any other tune which is replacing specific tables with it's own tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavTheCommie View Post
Hi, long(ish) time lurker, first time poster. So I've bought my '17 340i F30 a good while back with the MPPSK already on it (thankful!)

My question is how BM3 will interact with it. I'm sure there's a thread already on this maybe but I've had trouble finding definitive info on it, so I'm hoping for some existing experience.

FYI I apologize for overwhelming questions as I'm a first time "modder" and so far I've (all by myself proudly) added in an AP intake, UR strut bar, CSF heat exchanger, as well as a custom steering wheel and a bunch of other cosmetic CF stuff.

I think I'm ready for a DP and tune. Looking to keep it within the stock turbo's "capabilities" (obviously we pay to play). "Safe" BM3 OTS map experiences with the listed hardware would be great.

My main long winded question is what options I have with BM3 and how it interacts with the MPPSK tune.

*Side question would be what catless DPs have fit well with the MPPSK exhaust? Is the comfort mode subtlety just not an option when going catless?
      09-24-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Bottom line MPPSK + Catless downpipe is extremely loud when flooring it in Sports mode it's actually annoying to most people around you.

When cruising in Sports mode it's loud but OK and surprisingly it's very quiet in Comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifellapart View Post
As someone who also has the MPPSK and is looking at going catless, I've asked around the forum and opinions on the effects have been inconsistent. Some have loved and say they love the sound, other say it's too aggressive and the noise is not at all enjoyable. Watching videos doesn't really help since its not the true sound you'll be getting.

I might end up just going high flow cat.
      09-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
SlavTheCommie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post
Bottom line MPPSK + Catless downpipe is extremely loud when flooring it in Sports mode it's actually annoying to most people around you.

When cruising in Sports mode it's loud but OK and surprisingly it's very quiet in Comfort.
That sounds kinda perfect in my opinion. I really appreciate the quiet option. I feel it probably would be a negligible difference going with a 200-300 cell highflow, and I' want to switch it up without compromising comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
SlavTheCommie
Rep

Well I got the combo deal at x-ph that got me bm3, AA catless downpipe, and even an FTP chargepipe on top of that!

I'm at 37k miles, spark plugs and coil pack replacement are a good idea before I tune correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
340iNL
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 340xi

I have Bm3 with MPPSK. I like to change burble settings as MPPSK stock burbles are like farts sometimes.

Planning to get catted DP, sound should increase 25%

With catless I can't pass inspection. Also catless with MPPSK with open flaps in sport mode is essentialy straigth pipe because MPPSK has no mid pipe silencer and open flaps will bypass rear silencer.

Also catless got the smell which I don't like.

But the sound is great.

If you get bm3 stage 2 you need to replace plugs and gap them correctly to recommended gap, it's on bm3 website. coil pack replacement not needed.

Stage 1 doesn't need the gap, but can resolve timing pull
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #10
440guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe xDrive MPPSK

AFAIK, stage 1 and MPPSK tunes aren't mutually exclusive with one another. MPPSK tune is its own thing as BM3 tune is its own thing. Stage 1 is the same tune between someone who doesn't have MPPSK and someone who does. Now as for the actual hardware, I don't know if there's any difference in behavior between MPPSK or not. Also, BM3 saves the initial MPPSK settings so you don't need to worry about detuning if you want to go back to stock.

I've found stage 1 to not be daily-able unfortunately. The power is awesome, but there's something to be said for how comfortable stock is. Stock is just so creamy whereas stage 1 feels unnatural and timed weirdly. The burbles even on OEM on stage 1 are way too intense too- had to dial them back considerably. I am definitely considering getting a high flow downpipe and new plugs just to try stage 2 out.

Happy to hear out anyone else who feels the same about stage 1 or if I'm doing something wrong. Love that power of stage 1, but love the comfort of stock more. Any comfort+ stage 1 tunes out there?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Catless + MPPSK is the best possible exhaust system you can have. Quiet when you want it to be a sleeper and brutally intense when you feel like making some noise. I've had multiple people tell me my exhaust is the best sounding BMW exhaust they've ever heard.
Appreciate 0