F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > M Sport Airbag Error Help
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

M Sport Airbag Error Help

Looking for some help here on whether I need to get another airbag or whether this can be coded.

I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel in my 330e from the Sportline to the M-Sport. Got the Dual Stage airbag and the steering wheel, but got the Malfunction error. I didn’t connect the battery prior to installing the airbag.

So as I began researching on this, I noticed that my airbag has only 4 wires and no blue connector (the airbag is from a F15), while the F30 airbag (including the sportline version) has 6 wires for the connector and the additional blue connector.

First, can someone explain what that blue connector is, and second, can this somehow be coded or do i need to get another airbag?!

The airbag that I purchased is the 1st pic. The 2nd pic is for reference on what I found on ebay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #2
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
Looking for some help here on whether I need to get another airbag or whether this can be coded.

I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel in my 330e from the Sportline to the M-Sport. Got the Dual Stage airbag and the steering wheel, but got the Malfunction error. I didn't connect the battery prior to installing the airbag.

So as I began researching on this, I noticed that my airbag has only 4 wires and no blue connector (the airbag is from a F15), while the F30 airbag (including the sportline version) has 6 wires for the connector and the additional blue connector.

First, can someone explain what that blue connector is, and second, can this somehow be coded or do i need to get another airbag?!

The airbag that I purchased is the 1st pic. The 2nd pic is for reference on what I found on ebay.
Man there are so many threads about this and this happens when people try to cheap out on this mod see a dual stage whole steering wheel for way less than it should be gotta wonder why. Anyway yes the airbag light can be coded out don't know if anyone would do that for you in addition there has been cases of people switching them and coding them and them not going off in an accident due to the resistance changing if that's the case and your insurance finds out they won't pay for anything because you tampered with a safety device airbags are one thing I wouldn't want to be coded out to work goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Thanks for the info! I bought the wheel and the bag separately, so I did try to cheap out, but didn’t know to be honest that the airbags were different between platforms. Coming back to BMW after many years and the last series I was messing around with were the E-series. Easily could switch parts around. I’ll just get the appropriate airbag and sell this one!
Appreciate 0