F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > "Autocar" review of 330d touring
proTUNING Freaks

11-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #67
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
... hence the 8AT is epic
Yep
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
D'you have any idea what the "best point" is for these modern 30D engines? Genuine question...
BMW don't give too much away and finding maps for any engine is difficult.

NISFAN has answered much in line with my obsevations. What is often fogotten in a typical BSFC map, if we can find one, it only gives a feel for the best spread of engine efficiency. But really needs to include part throttle application, and HP output at part throttle openings, as WOT is not the whole picture for how we are driving in real terms.

Torque costs fuel, so for economy we really need to keep away from WOT. Ideally at cruising speeds we want as little boost as is necessary, hence the lower side of peak torque (at a given HP) is typically more efficient on the BSFC map.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #69
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

My dealer gave me a 330d M Sport Touring to test drive for the weekend. I took it through its paces in a whole variety of situations and can honestly say it blew me away in terms of performance, balance, handling, refinement. Interior quality matched expectations for a 3 series. I also drove a couple of audis and C class, diesel and petrol... Nothing came remotely close. I could go on and on. Guys, we are talking about a diesel eatate, which churns 245bhp, 0-60 5.6secs (dread to imagine in gear times) 520 Nm of torque, 135g/km C02. You can barely hear it. Do the maths, read Richard Hammonds review and forget autocar...then buy one like i have.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #70
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

330d is 258bhp. The old one like mine is 245bhp
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #71
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
330d is 258bhp. The old one like mine is 245bhp
Yep and the new one is 0-60 in 5.4 , and 0-62 in 5.6
      11-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #72
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Correct. I was being too harsh! The fact that they have increased the overall loading capacity and size to class leading levels (which is why we buy estates?)but significantly reduced weight makes the engineering achievement all the more impressive.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #73
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The AutoCar 330d test car could well have been giving off more turbo whistle than what is the norm. The fact another doesn't do so, isn't an indicator of how they all sound.

I've had enough experience of diesel engines over the years to know 'exact' same engines can be so different both for sound, performance and mpg.

Take the VW 1.9 TDI, even in the same embodiment, could be so varied in how they sounded and performed. BMW diesels can also be different in sound track and refinement, from my experience.

HighlandPete
Hi Pete,

Interesting to see all these views in whistling, wheezing and other noises - guess I must be out of date on what should and shouldn't whistle. I would say, though, that you shouldn't be hearing loud whistling that's very obvious inside the car. I agree about hearing a faint whir and whine from a modern diesel with the windows down.

I wouldn't mind a bit of nice smooth 'turbine's sound, but I'd rather just hear the rather lovely engine sound, as it sounded on the 330d touring I tried.

I've read that variable vane turbos can make a bit more noise than fixed ones - certainly the case with my 530d when I switched, though it's never intrusive.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #74
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Pete,

Interesting to see all these views in whistling, wheezing and other noises - guess I must be out of date on what should and shouldn't whistle. I would say, though, that you shouldn't be hearing loud whistling that's very obvious inside the car. I agree about hearing a faint whir and whine from a modern diesel with the windows down.

I wouldn't mind a bit of nice smooth 'turbine's sound, but I'd rather just hear the rather lovely engine sound, as it sounded on the 330d touring I tried.

I've read that variable vane turbos can make a bit more noise than fixed ones - certainly the case with my 530d when I switched, though it's never intrusive.

Dave
Certainly my f31 330d has very little whistle audible in the car. But with windows down it makes an awesome range of whistling noises as it goes on and off throttle. Nothing like traditional turbo whistle due to varying turbo geometry I guess, but most different is the almost complete lack of off after boost chatter/whistle. It just whistles across various pitches as you accelerate and when your done mutes away immediatley.

I can honestly say that the car (the engine mostly!) impresses me as much by its refinement and smoothness as it does with awesome performance. I'm genuinly stumped as to why anyone would want the 328, you would have to love petrol stations and the sound of a four pot... I drove both and for the first time ever I'm confident the diesel is the best all rounder.

Never thought I'd say that :/

I'm getting about 38 mpg by the way, mostly driven in sport with no real effort made to conserve fuel - so I think it's actually quite impressive!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #75
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Read the review today getting dodgy looks from security guard in Tesco. Interestingly they commented that 3.0d engine lacked the range of 2.0d, perhaps smaller can be better for usability.
      11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #76
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Certainly my f31 330d has very little whistle audible in the car. But with windows down it makes an awesome range of whistling noises as it goes on and off throttle. Nothing like traditional turbo whistle due to varying turbo geometry I guess, but most different is the almost complete lack of off after boost chatter/whistle. It just whistles across various pitches as you accelerate and when your done mutes away immediatley.

I can honestly say that the car (the engine mostly!) impresses me as much by its refinement and smoothness as it does with awesome performance. I'm genuinly stumped as to why anyone would want the 328, you would have to love petrol stations and the sound of a four pot... I drove both and for the first time ever I'm confident the diesel is the best all rounder.

Never thought I'd say that :/

I'm getting about 38 mpg by the way, mostly driven in sport with no real effort made to conserve fuel - so I think it's actually quite impressive!
Hi movietub, thanks for the comments on whistling. I was a bit perturbed by what I'd heard others (and Autocar) say about whistling, but this sounds pretty reasonable. Interestingly, I swathed the blower in my 530d to a variable vane as part of a tune-up and I noticed it does a fair bit more in the way of whistling.

Should get my F30 330d M Sport circa 15th December - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #77
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi movietub, thanks for the comments on whistling. I was a bit perturbed by what I'd heard others (and Autocar) say about whistling, but this sounds pretty reasonable. Interestingly, I swathed the blower in my 530d to a variable vane as part of a tune-up and I noticed it does a fair bit more in the way of whistling.

Should get my F30 330d M Sport circa 15th December - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dave
NO whistling from mine.
      11-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #78
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's what I was hoping for ... :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #79
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
Read the review today getting dodgy looks from security guard in Tesco. Interestingly they commented that 3.0d engine lacked the range of 2.0d, perhaps smaller can be better for usability.
I would have thought that pretty obvious. They have the same sized tank but the 20D does more mpg ... ergo longer range The 30D is still the best engine in the 3 series though
      11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #80
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would have thought that pretty obvious. They have the same sized tank but the 20D does more mpg ... ergo longer range The 30D is still the best engine in the 3 series though
Well until they wheel out the big daddy
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #81
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Can I claim "present tense"?
      11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, 330D is the daddy.........for the moment
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #83
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

The end of term report on their long term 330D throws some light on the issue. They would buy a 320D auto as their preferred car. Little opportunity to legal use higher 330 D performance and think 320D handles better due to lighter weight. Rest of their preferred spec includes from memory adaptable suspension, visibility pack, headup display and hence professional media pack.

PMG
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #84
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
The end of term report on their long term 330D throws some light on the issue. They would buy a 320D auto as their preferred car. Little opportunity to legal use higher 330 D performance and think 320D handles better due to lighter weight. Rest of their preferred spec includes from memory adaptable suspension, visibility pack, headup display and hence professional media pack.

PMG
That bit made me laugh, it's not like the 330 is a tyre shredding monster. You would choose the 330's power to waft you along with less fuss, and engine refinement is leagues better.

Anyway, Isn't this the very same car that they used to chase after a Subaru BRZ, commenting on how great the performance was?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #85
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
That bit made me laugh, it's not like the 330 is a tyre shredding monster. You would choose the 330's power to waft you along with less fuss, and engine refinement is leagues better.

Anyway, Isn't this the very same car that they used to chase after a Subaru BRZ, commenting on how great the performance was?
And ain't that the truth.