F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Service Manual
ARMA SPEED

02-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
nth_79
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Service Manual

What's the best service manual for the 2014 3 series GT? (in particular the 335 GT?) Can we buy the BMW factory service manual?

I have squeaky brakes when I backup, and want to see if adding brake quiet will help. I've done the rear brakes, which helped, but I think the front brakes are still squeaking and the dissassembly looks much more complicated and a service manual would help me figure out if this is something that I can do myself.

Also, it'd be helpful to have a clear guide on how to get to the battery in the back right of the trunk in case there are hidden catches. It's getting close to that time that the batteries may start dying in our model year 2014 versions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't be concerned about brake squeal when backing up. The pads take a 'set' in normal braking when going forward, so they're a bit off going backwards.
Service manuals aren't the greatest, as they assume you know what you're doing. Youtube videos are better.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
nth_79
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I wouldn't be concerned about brake squeal when backing up. The pads take a 'set' in normal braking when going forward, so they're a bit off going backwards.
Service manuals aren't the greatest, as they assume you know what you're doing. Youtube videos are better.
Have you found youtube videos for the front brakes or battery? That'd be really great.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I haven't looked for them. I could do a brake job in my sleep, and don't expect to need a battery swap for at least another three years.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nth_79 View Post
What's the best service manual for the 2014 3 series GT? (in particular the 335 GT?) Can we buy the BMW factory service manual?

I have squeaky brakes when I backup, and want to see if adding brake quiet will help. I've done the rear brakes, which helped, but I think the front brakes are still squeaking and the dissassembly looks much more complicated and a service manual would help me figure out if this is something that I can do myself.

Also, it'd be helpful to have a clear guide on how to get to the battery in the back right of the trunk in case there are hidden catches. It's getting close to that time that the batteries may start dying in our model year 2014 versions.

Thanks!
The Bentley Manuals are a popular resource or even YouTube. Battery replacements can be tricky but it seems like it's easier on the f30 than the e90. There's only one hold down and the power distributor doesn't bolt directly on top of the battery but is off to the side with a positive battery cable that connects to the battery, like a conventional setup. You still have to code the battery, however. DIY can save you a couple hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:54 AM   #6
nth_79
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The Bentley Manuals are a popular resource or even YouTube. Battery replacements can be tricky but it seems like it's easier on the f30 than the e90. There's only one hold down and the power distributor doesn't bolt directly on top of the battery but is off to the side with a positive battery cable that connects to the battery, like a conventional setup. You still have to code the battery, however. DIY can save you a couple hundred bucks.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
smithie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F34 GT Msport

battery change

Hi all,

Just a word of warning - you DO need to register the battery. Its part of the process when you hook up the car to ISTA. I'm assuming its the same in the US on AGM batteries (stop starts)..

It can send things a bit haywire if you don't register the battery, overcharge etc...sadly, not like the old cars where you just replace the battery....

It was defo the other way round - E90 easier to swap batteries...didn't need registering...

rgds
Smithie

Last edited by smithie; 03-15-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0