F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dreaded "Incorrect DEF fluid 200 miles..." need advice & ISTA + software
proTUNING Freaks

04-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Crashly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Dreaded "Incorrect DEF fluid 200 miles..." need advice & ISTA + software

Hello everybody. I was getting tired of working on my 20 year old TDI's every weekend so I bought a low mileage dealer maintained 2014 328d. It currently has 69k. I researched a couple of years before buying one and thought that as long as I keep the car out of stop and go traffic and short trips it would be fairly reliable. I drive the car 100 miles a day to work and average 65-80 mph. So far I have done a oil change and toped of the DEF tank.

Yesterday I was driving from San Diego to L.A. and I got the dreaded " Wrong fluid in DEF tank car will shut down in 200 miles". I called a dealership in Long beach and a service tech gave me all of the bad news regarding the difficulty of troubleshooting and costly parts. I asked if it would be a simple drain and refill and he said that in his experience this never works and it is usually another problem in the SCR system. He also said that they were extremely back logged and could not fit me in. Realistically I could not of afforded the BMW 3-5K repair bill anyway. I was able to get the car home and now I have 30 miles until shutdown!!

So here is what I have done so far.

1. I have read dthe technical BMW bulletin (70 pages) regarding the SCR system and its functions.
  • I need to do a few tests like the scr test and monitor the NOX sensors etc
2. Tried locating ISTA+ software. I found the free downloads, but I do not have administrator access to my laptop (owned by my work) so I ordered a copy through. bimmerdiagonistics and hopefully I can load it onto my computer. If not I may need to buy a new laptop. (anybody have any better suggestions??)
3. Researched the alternative "ICOM" setups, I'm still confused as to what one I would need and does it come preloaded with ISTA+.. It would be cheaper than a new laptop.. Any advice on which one to purchase would be appreciated.
4. Figured out from reading the BMW SCR technical information and information on the forum that the two NOX sensors are likely the culprit. It looks like I will need to replace them, fill the DEF tanks, reset def levels delete all active codes then drive the car until it resets... if the NOX sensors are bad.

I have a couple of OBD scanners one from autoengunity but I doubt that they will allow me to see deeper into the system unless I have the BMW dongle which unlocks additional menus.

If I need to purchase the NOX sensors can somebody point me in the right direction. From reading all of the NOX/DEF posts its seems wise to replace the front and back sensors. I found some kits on ebay and amazon around the $260 for both of them. Some of them claim to have a 2 year warranty. What is your advice on the brand to use?

If I am missing something or overlooking something please speak up and let me know.

Thanks for your input and insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Your research sounds all over the place.
Ordering a "copy" is the same as downloading the pirated version you found. If it's not from aos.bmwgroup.com , then it's pirated, so you may as well get the downloaded one from the sources.

You just need an ENET cable for interface. $20
This also opens up the option of diagnosing the car remotely via VPN, to where you don't need the software on your local laptop.

If you just filled the DEF, then it's likely you put in low quality DEF. You need to drain some and dilute it with some good fluid. In any of the BMW programs, you just need to reset the SCR learned NOx adaptations. That will get the system back to the 0.0 learned value, which takes away your countdown until it learns adaptations (if per the low quality fluid, then you may get countdown again).

It doesn't necessarily mean your NOx sensors are bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:27 PM   #3
Crashly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I picked up a enet cable today. And so far the version that I paid for has not been able to install onto my computer. I will check out the aosbmwgroup for the correct download. I will also check into extracting the def fluid that I put in a couple of months ago.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:00 AM   #4
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Spend the $35 to buy a used laptop on eBay that will be your “car” computer and can have internet left off, etc amd to which you have admin access, as you need that.

Don’t put this stuff 9n work computer. It doesn’t belong there and will be a source of headaches for both work and car.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #5
ward00
Rep
Drives: 328d

Last year, for the same message, on my 2014 328d wagon with 65K miles it was the 2 Nox sensors. Dont use up your 200 miles and then turn off and then try to start the car or you will brick your ECU, ask me how I know. I got the message 400 miles from home. Check that the smog parts warranty wont cover a fix. I believe smog parts are covered for 100K miles, at least they were on my car. I would not muck with ISTA or you will void the smog parts warranty. I have no proof, but the warning popped up after I filled up for the first time up with bio-diesel at a 76 station.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
MechWatch
Rep
Drives: 2000 323CiC 2014 328dX

FYI for anyone here because you have issues. You pretty much need a working rear NOx sensor for this issue to clear. It is also possible to induce the 200 mile warning if one of your NOx sensors is setting a code and you go in and push too many buttons in ISTA trying to remedy it. The only way I was able to get rid of the 200 mile warning was to borrow a working NOx sensor, pop it in the rear, and run whatever that long procedure was... I then swapped my old sensor in and the NOx sensor code came back but the 200 mile warning did not.

Long story short, if you have NOx sensor codes popping up, be careful because you can trigger the 200 mile warning that wouldn't pop up just because you have bad NOx sensors.

PS - the DEF injector gets pretty cruddy after 40k miles. That could affect the SCR performance as well. It cleans up with water but fair warning, the injector has two coolant lines going to it so if you disconnect those, you need to plug the lines, not just catch the coolant.
Appreciate 2
Enabled1420.50
      06-17-2022, 12:12 AM   #7
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
And for the NOx sensors, a new extended warranty came out to cover both of them for 10yr/120K.
      06-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #8
cjssister
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
ITS HAPPENING TO ME NOW! THEY WANT 5k

The same exact thing is happening to me right now and i have no clue what to do as the bmw service dept quoted me at 5k for a potential solution... in their words a starting point. Simply put thats not acceptable and by reading most of the posts available on this it seems like injector clogging, nox sensors, and metering seem to be the common issues. I have about 20 miles remaining of the 200 so if anyone has any suggestions as to what they would do in my shoes id really appriciate them.

2014 328d 60'000 miles and was serviced by bmw a day before the fluid 200 miles warning came up. they said everything looked great :/ I have the obd printouts from them
I attached the scans incase anyone wants to take a look

Thank you !
Nic

ps I will totally do a paid consultation with someone whos knowledgeable but 5k is not alright for a definite maybe lol
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scan.pdf (736.4 KB, 248 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjssister View Post
The same exact thing is happening to me right now and i have no clue what to do as the bmw service dept quoted me at 5k for a potential solution... in their words a starting point. Simply put thats not acceptable and by reading most of the posts available on this it seems like injector clogging, nox sensors, and metering seem to be the common issues. I have about 20 miles remaining of the 200 so if anyone has any suggestions as to what they would do in my shoes id really appriciate them.

2014 328d 60'000 miles and was serviced by bmw a day before the fluid 200 miles warning came up. they said everything looked great :/ I have the obd printouts from them
I attached the scans incase anyone wants to take a look

Thank you !
Nic

ps I will totally do a paid consultation with someone whos knowledgeable but 5k is not alright for a definite maybe lol
The scan you attached and the code they focused on is not the cause of the issue. It seems there are a few other codes that are obscured by the other window on top.

0x2C4E00 DeNOx system, plausibility: System error or poor reducing agent is not detected (this is an important one, it suggests either poor DEF or failing NOx sensor. Note NOx sensors are covered by extended warranty)

0x26FD00 Reducing agent dosage, long-term adaptation: adaption value too high (another important one. This is the one that triggered your check engine light. It's for the same thing. Either DEF is low quality or the NOx sensor is reading incorrectly.)

It never ceases to amaze me.

Again, keep in mind these two NOx sensors are covered by extended warranty.

You can even have your independent BMW shop replace them and submit the receipt to http://bmw-rp.com/production/bmw/rei...bmw_portal.nsf for reimbursement.

But first... did you potentially fill the DEF system with low quality fluid?

If you have a windows laptop and an ENET cable, I can potentially remote in and clear the NOx adaptation to give you a bit more time than 200 miles, but if nothing's done, the problem will come back.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #10
cjssister
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Thank you so much for insight.

I added hq def fluid maybe 15k miles back, they (BMW) topped it off the day prior to the warning coming on! It had just been in for a check up where they told me nothing was wrong... Im praying its a nox sensor but should that not be the case Ill just say screw it, delete all the emissions systems and register in in az lol In terms of longevity it seems to be that could be the best option but im curious also as to what your take on doing that would be. Viable option?

Thank you so much i thought the info from scans they sent were pretty beat around the bush ish and i was under the impression in ca the emissions regulations provided for an extended warranty on these types of emissions components? when i was reading on their site it sure sounded like it should be covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
cjssister
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I added hq def fluid maybe 15k miles back, they (BMW) topped it off the day prior to the warning coming on! It had just been in for a check up where they told me nothing was wrong... Im praying its a nox sensor but should that not be the case Ill just say screw it, delete all the emissions systems and register in in az lol In terms of longevity it seems to be that could be the best option but im curious also as to what your take on doing that would be. Viable option?

Thank you so much i thought the info from scans they sent were pretty beat around the bush ish and i was under the impression in ca the emissions regulations provided for an extended warranty on these types of emissions components? when i was reading on their site it sure sounded like it should be covered.
Just ordered an enet - once again really appriciate you getting back to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered an enet - once again really appriciate you getting back to me.
Send me a PM when you have it.

Don't let it get to 0 miles, we can reset the long term adaptations to give you more time.

You can use the reimbursement site I linked earlier to get an idea what is covered via extended warranty for your car specifically.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #13
cjssister
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I have got the cables a couple days ago, unfortunately I don't have enough verified replies to pm people:/
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #14
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

post your email and then edit the message when I reach out
Others:
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #15
cjssister
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
dommersn @ gmail . co m
thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #16
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I sent an email, please check
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #17
2014328d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

I had two failed NOx sensors and a clogged metering valve. NOx sensors were covered by warranty but the clogged metering valve wasn't and required an "extended road test" where it was driven and tested for 250 miles. The total for labor and parts was $1690 at my local BMW service center.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 10:00 PM   #18
gambler2841
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535d

Exclamation 535d Incorrect Exhaust Fluid

Hey all, hoping you might be able to help me out. I've just recently gotten the 200 mile countdown. I have about 183 miles left. I am getting code 26FD00. I don't want to start replacing the NOX sensors at the price they are, hoping someone can help. 2014 535d. I bought used, so no warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 12:00 PM   #19
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler2841 View Post
Hey all, hoping you might be able to help me out. I've just recently gotten the 200 mile countdown. I have about 183 miles left. I am getting code 26FD00. I don't want to start replacing the NOX sensors at the price they are, hoping someone can help. 2014 535d. I bought used, so no warranty.
Doesnt matter if you bought used. Extended warranties like the one for the NOX sensors stay with the car for 10yrs or 120K from in-service date. You can swing by your BMW dealer and have them run your VIN for any active warranties.
      01-18-2024, 05:48 PM   #20
mmondra13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328D

2014 bmw 328d

Hello I have a 2014 BMW 328D with 167k miles

I have the following issues....
The incorrect exhaust fluid waited till it had to 40 miles took it to a BMW shop they quoted me 3.5k to replaced the NO2 sensor.

I decline the services and found them on amazon for under $400 for the both No2 sensor replaced them, cleared the codes (SAME ISSUE)

Now its currently on 0 miles and it does not start.
The DEF fluid I top it off is the PEAK BRAND

I haven't drained and refilled, I tried to clear the codes using a OTC BOSCH DIAG Computer. (did not do no changes)

Any ideas does what do you recommend.

That is the link I bough the AMAZON NO2 sensors
https://a.co/d/hrEKO6r
Attached Images

Appreciate 0