F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retrofit 6WA and Headlight Level Adjustment
ARMA SPEED

05-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
JayZee72
Rep
Drives: F31 03/2017 320D

Retrofit 6WA and Headlight Level Adjustment

I've just returned from a dealer service where they picked up that the headlight level adjustment was not working as it should be. I've only got halogens fitted at present so this concerns the thumbwheel next to the main light switch.

Having spent a couple of days looking at it, they are now telling me that this is not working due to a 6WA instrument panel being fitted. BMW would be more than happy to update the software to get the level adjustment working again, but this would be at the expense of coding out the 6WA panel.

Is this a reasonable cause being put forward by the dealer? Does anybody have any pointers as to what I need to do to get the headlight level adjustment working again?

The headlights move up and down correctly when the car is first started, so it looks a though there is no signal from the switch to the lights.

I just can't see how coding a 6WA panel in would affect this, but then again I am a relative newbie to all of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
JayZee72
Rep

Does anybody have any idea as to what the next course of action should be?

A reset of the instrument panel has been suggested so if anybody has any experience of doing this I would be happy to hear from you (especially if it resolves my other issue with the missing gear indicator).

I'm told that this issue may count as an MOT failure, but not entirely convinced by that one.

Annoyingly, the lights do track up and down correctly when turning the ignition on, so the motors are working just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:03 AM   #3
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZee72 View Post
Does anybody have any idea as to what the next course of action should be?

A reset of the instrument panel has been suggested so if anybody has any experience of doing this I would be happy to hear from you (especially if it resolves my other issue with the missing gear indicator).

I'm told that this issue may count as an MOT failure, but not entirely convinced by that one.

Annoyingly, the lights do track up and down correctly when turning the ignition on, so the motors are working just fine.
If the car has been coded to activate the fog lights for cornering, you may have the problem I found. One of the usually recommended settings is not appropriate for manually-controlled headlights.

Setting FEM / 3073 / C_BLC_ENA to F30enable will disable the levelling wheel. I set mine back to F30disable and all was OK. This can be done with ESys but I don't know if it's available in BimmerCode Expert Mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
JayZee72
Rep

As it happens I do have the foglights enabled for cornering so I will switch those off via ESYS and see if it makes a difference.

I shall report back and let you know!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
JayZee72
Rep

Eureka!

I made the setting change as per cjn's advice via Esys and the headlight adjustment worked again. Thanks a million! :-)

And now just to get the auto box indicator back in the panel display. Disappeared when I upgraded to the 6WA panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:26 AM   #6
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZee72 View Post
Eureka!

I made the setting change as per cjn's advice via Esys and the headlight adjustment worked again. Thanks a million! :-)

And now just to get the auto box indicator back in the panel display. Disappeared when I upgraded to the 6WA panel.
Appreciate 0