F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted Downpipe for 340ix Too Many Choises
GetBMWParts

09-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
SirFisher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive 6MT

Catted Downpipe for 340ix Too Many Choises

Hi all! I had a question that I would love some extra input in. I have been reading as many threads as possible and still am not sure.

My current choices for my b58 340ix for a stage 2 tune, stock allowing, are the AA 300 cell, Wagner 200 Cell and DS-1 200 Cell. Do any of you recommend any of these other the others. Or is this a situation where the differences aren't as noticeable.

My initial choice would be the Wagner downpipe, only issue is I go to school in California. Not worried about emissions or CEL as my car is registered in my home state of Wisconsin.

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
Hiflyer731
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

You could always go catless and grab a new one for a few hundred bucks. As for a catted DP I would just buy a used one and save some money. I have the VRSF which is OK but unless you're trying to push big power, any catted pipe should do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFisher View Post
Hi all! I had a question that I would love some extra input in. I have been reading as many threads as possible and still am not sure.

My current choices for my b58 340ix for a stage 2 tune, stock allowing, are the AA 300 cell, Wagner 200 Cell and DS-1 200 Cell. Do any of you recommend any of these other the others. Or is this a situation where the differences aren't as noticeable.

My initial choice would be the Wagner downpipe, only issue is I go to school in California. Not worried about emissions or CEL as my car is registered in my home state of Wisconsin.

Thank you so much!
Any interest in a de-catted version? If emissions isn't a big issue for you I'd consider cheaper options. Very low cell count wont do all that much anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

I disagree that low cell DPs won't do all that much. There's a noticeable difference in drivability and spool. There are also graphs out there that show the air flow with cat-less, vs 200 vs 400 vs factory DP. Yes, you'll get more HP from no cats, but it takes away style from the car because it'll smell like shit. People will say hey cool car from far away, but anywhere near it they'll say ughh wtf is wrong with it?

I've smelled de-catted DP's and I can't stand them. If this is your daily driver, which it sounds like it is, just go for 200 cell DP. Yes, it will generate a check engine light. This can easily be cleared with any tune. If you are under warranty, then get the 300 or 400 cell ones. Those will flow less because higher cell means more restrictive; however, some have a guarantee not to generate a cell. So that should be your main decision driver, do I care about the warranty and passing emissions test? Tuning puts you at risk of voiding the warranty. I assume so does replacing the DP, but probably much less than the tune.

Personally, I went with the CTS 200 cell DP from x-ph and don't regret it. The smell is barely noticeable. It doesn't distract from the car. I only smell it on initial start, then eventually the smell goes away. At red lights with windows down, you won't smell the 200 cell DP; whereas with the de-cat, you will. The car sounds nicer too. Did I mention the CTS DP is WAAAAYYY cheaper than those higher-end ones?
Appreciate 1
Wires1660.00
      09-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

I love my AA DP! Worth every penny, and the car sounds like a monster. Very very very noticeable sound difference, especially for cold starts! No smell at all, and never a CEL. Whether it's better than the 200 cel or catless? I don't know. But I'm happy with no CEL, cheaper than the fabspeed one, and a great performance and sound increase.
      09-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
I disagree that low cell DPs won't do all that much. There's a noticeable difference in drivability and spool. There are also graphs out there that show the air flow with cat-less, vs 200 vs 400 vs factory DP. Yes, you'll get more HP from no cats, but it takes away style from the car because it'll smell like shit. People will say hey cool car from far away, but anywhere near it they'll say ughh wtf is wrong with it?

I've smelled de-catted DP's and I can't stand them. If this is your daily driver, which it sounds like it is, just go for 200 cell DP. Yes, it will generate a check engine light. This can easily be cleared with any tune. If you are under warranty, then get the 300 or 400 cell ones. Those will flow less because higher cell means more restrictive; however, some have a guarantee not to generate a cell. So that should be your main decision driver, do I care about the warranty and passing emissions test? Tuning puts you at risk of voiding the warranty. I assume so does replacing the DP, but probably much less than the tune.

Personally, I went with the CTS 200 cell DP from x-ph and don't regret it. The smell is barely noticeable. It doesn't distract from the car. I only smell it on initial start, then eventually the smell goes away. At red lights with windows down, you won't smell the 200 cell DP; whereas with the de-cat, you will. The car sounds nicer too. Did I mention the CTS DP is WAAAAYYY cheaper than those higher-end ones?
Catless smells really bad, yeah. Even on the highway with my windows down I can smell cars that don't have cats. It's gross, my woman would kill me.
      09-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Catless smells really bad, yeah. Even on the highway with my windows down I can smell cars that don't have cats. It's gross, my woman would kill me.
Smells like 1982 all over again!

OP, I got the Evolution Raceworks one from Xtreme Powersports. Price was great, it's got high flow cats so it doesn't smell too bad, and I've never had a CEL running it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Looks like the CG DS-1 is back in stock after a year. Highly recommend. Haven't had many CEL issues and it sounds great.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Looks like the CG DS-1 is back in stock after a year. Highly recommend. Haven't had many CEL issues and it sounds great.
not yet in stock but they are now taking orders again. Its expected to be back in a few weeks

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0