F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine Mgmt Light on after catted Akrapovic Downpipe install
Studio RSR

09-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

I got the catted Akrapovic Downpipe professionally Installed 3 weeks ago and have not had any issues until now.

Engine management light came on today (surprised iDrive doesn't tell me what the code is) but I assume it has to do with the Downpipe. I installed a catted Downpipe, so I was assuming there wasn't going to be any emissions issues.

Has anyone else had any issues like this with a catted Downpipe especially Akrapovic? Could it possibly be a faulty install?

I have a 2017 340 w/ mppsk
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

On their website, it states that their catted DP does not meet emissions requirements. Not all catted DP's are created equal unfortunately. Only one avail that I know with a CEL guarantee is the AA catted for $1,300.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I saw that. The reviews I read said no issues with CEL with akra's catted DP, though which is why I was concerned. I suppose a "high-flow" cat might still be too much flow for my CEL.

I stopped by a shop and ran the code which read faulty cat converter. The tech there said it was possible my mppsk tune/exhaust has to get used to the higher flow? Not sure about this, but he cleared the code and advised me to see if it continues to come on or if it starts to clear by itself.

My main concern is the install wasn't properly done which I suppose I'll find out after driving a few more days.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 02:29 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have been driving the Akrapovic Downpipe for about an year now, together with MPPSK - no problems at all! This is not where your CEL is coming from, unless it was installed badly (e.g. O2 sensors not put in properly, etc.) or unless you have a faulty converter for some reason, which is very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
On their website, it states that their catted DP does not meet emissions requirements. Not all catted DP's are created equal unfortunately. Only one avail that I know with a CEL guarantee is the AA catted for $1,300.
That's actually BS

1. The Akrapovic DP features a high-end HJS cat, same as in HJS's own DP, same as in AC Schnitzer's cat and used by many other reputable manufacturers. The DP is designed and guaranteed to maintain emissions, same as all of the above-mentioned. The DP also comes with an ECE approval!

2. What you have misinterpreted (I don't blame you, it is written ambiguously) is that it does not meet emission requirements for vehicles with OPF, hence MY 2019 and later. It is not compatible with those.

Actually, the Akrapovic DP is top of the line. AA is lower quality (and lower price) in comparison.
      09-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

According to the xph website...

"When installing the Akrapovič downpipe, remapping the ECU is mandatory in order to prevent potential “check engine light” warning signals."

Its does say "potential" so dunno. Maybe Mike can elaborate on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Simply read

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1691853

The HJS cat is made to maintain emissions within factory limits.
      09-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

20k miles over 2 years and not seen an engine light.. something sounds wrong with your install in my view.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well my engine light hasn't come on yet today after it was cleared yesterday. And I did some pretty heavy driving to try to trigger something. I guess at this point I just wait and see if it flashes codes. I'll still get it up on a lift this weekend and make sure everything is tightened..

Figured I'd also add that the Akra DP + MPPSK is an incredible sound, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Something may have changed recently...I see no mention on the Akra website or their resellers, that the sport cat is compliant with emissions regulation. In fact some specify that a remap is required to avoid a CEL.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...00&yearId=5439
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Nothing has changed! The same text was there in January 2020, when I ordered. I specifically asked the Akra dealer about it and got the following response as explanation:

"Bei OPF Modellen ist die downpipe natürlich nicht erlaubt. Nur bei nicht OPF Modellen komplett legal."
English translation: "The downpipe is not allowed for OPF models. Completely legal only for non-OPF models"

So, again, the misleading text is intended for MY 2019 and later, which feature an OPF (in Europe).

The Akrapovic Dowpipe contains a HJS cat which is Euro 6 compliant. Same cat converter as in HJS's own B58 downpipe:
https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...rtkat-mit-ece/

(Note at the bottom again - "Not suitable for vehicles with OPF!")
      09-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I have been driving the Akrapovic Downpipe for about an year now, together with MPPSK - no problems at all! This is not where your CEL is coming from, unless it was installed badly (e.g. O2 sensors not put in properly, etc.) or unless you have a faulty converter for some reason, which is very unlikely.

That's actually BS

1. The Akrapovic DP features a high-end HJS cat, same as in HJS's own DP, same as in AC Schnitzer's cat and used by many other reputable manufacturers. The DP is designed and guaranteed to maintain emissions, same as all of the above-mentioned. The DP also comes with an ECE approval!

2. What you have misinterpreted (I don't blame you, it is written ambiguously) is that it does not meet emission requirements for vehicles with OPF, hence MY 2019 and later. It is not compatible with those.

Actually, the Akrapovic DP is top of the line. AA is lower quality (and lower price) in comparison.
You're probably right. I'm just going based off of their website. They have both downpipes (OPF/non-OPF) listed separately and both state it doesn't meet emissions requirements. But for the price, I agree, it shouldn't.

My CG DS-1 never had a "guarantee" but only produced a CEL once and never came back. Might be a similar story here.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Nothing has changed! The same text was there in January 2020, when I ordered. I specifically asked the Akra dealer about it and got the following response as explanation:

"Bei OPF Modellen ist die downpipe natürlich nicht erlaubt. Nur bei nicht OPF Modellen komplett legal."
English translation: "The downpipe is not allowed for OPF models. Completely legal only for non-OPF models"

So, again, the misleading text is intended for MY 2019 and later, which feature an OPF (in Europe).

The Akrapovic Dowpipe contains a HJS cat which is Euro 6 compliant. Same cat converter as in HJS's own B58 downpipe:
https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...rtkat-mit-ece/

(Note at the bottom again - "Not suitable for vehicles with OPF!")
Unless Akrpovic changed to another cat (model or manufacturer) for non EU markets I would assume that an O2 sensor acts up (not installed correctly etc.)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #13
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

CEL hasn't come on again after the code was cleared 2 days ago. Might be in the clear with this, but I'm still gonna get it checked out cause I wouldn't expect to have any issues with akrapovic's. Not to mention, it seems like the sound is moody at higher revs where sometimes it almost sounds stock, but when it roars it roars and its awesome. Could just be the "randomness" of mppsk.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I went poking my nose on the Akrapovic website for the B58 downpipe and I did not find any data showing me they are using the HJS 300 which is EC exhaust compliant. Even so, this downpipe is priced as if it were using an HJS 300. If it were using the HJS 300, I seriously doubt a catalytic error would be thrown. Ireland is EC and nothing in the document shows me its even exhaust compliant in the EC. I would go with a Fabspeed unit explicitly using the quality HJS-300:
fabspeed com/bmw-m140i-m240i-340i-440i-540i-740i-hjs-euro-6-sport-catalytic-converter-downpipe/
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:29 AM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I went poking my nose on the Akrapovic website for the B58 downpipe and I did not find any data showing me they are using the HJS 300 which is EC exhaust compliant. Even so, this downpipe is priced as if it were using an HJS 300. If it were using the HJS 300, I seriously doubt a catalytic error would be thrown. Ireland is EC and nothing in the document shows me its even exhaust compliant in the EC. I would go with a Fabspeed unit explicitly using the quality HJS-300:
fabspeed com/bmw-m140i-m240i-340i-440i-540i-740i-hjs-euro-6-sport-catalytic-converter-downpipe/
Maybe you should look again

How much more proof does one need

Another relevant thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506433

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-16-2021 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:44 AM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

P.s. Here also a declaration by HJS, that the GB35 catalytic converter does not invalidate or negatively influence the exhaust gas or noise emissions, based on tests performed on M235i and 435i (Euro 6 vehicles).

More proof needed?

I do find it silly though that such a reputable manufacturer (Akrapovic) does not take better care of their website and product description. The claimed weight of the DP is also wrong, as I have discovered. And I sent an email to Akrapovic to let them know and advise them to correct the data on their website... never got any response. And it is still wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HJS - Herstellererklärung GB35 M135i, 235 kW, Euro 6.pdf (218.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-16-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
vcx81.50
      09-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you should look again

How much more proof does one need

Another relevant thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506433
I made one pass and did not see but if you say its there I trust you its certainly priced for an expensive HJS catalyst. One way for sure to see is a shot of the catalyst. HJS 300 has triangular cells arranged in spiral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
One way for sure to see is a shot of the catalyst. HJS 300 has triangular cells arranged in spiral.
I happen to have an answer to that as well

(I am the author of the 2 photos)

Also please see the lower engraved plate on the outside of the DP above in my previous post...

More evidence needed?

I'll just stand up and say - both my research and my own experience show that the Akrapovic DP is the absolute BEST catted DP one can get for B58! And probably the most expensive...
Material selection, design, build-quality........ top-notch! Way better than the OEM, HJS's DP and various others.

Does one really need it to be that top-notch (and expensive)? Probably not. But it is.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-16-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #19
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Why install a downpipe if you aren't going to tune? Seems like a waste
      09-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Why install a downpipe if you aren't going to tune? Seems like a waste
+20 PS, + 20Nm and even torque increase in the entire range, -0,25sec 0-100, + lower temperature and higher reliability of the turbo, + quicker spin, + better throttle response, + better sounding exhaust…..
whilst maintaining the factory warranty, all sound like a waste to you!?? Interesting. Oh well, to each their own.
      09-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #21
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
+20 PS, + 20Nm and even torque increase in the entire range, -0,25sec 0-100, + lower temperature and higher reliability of the turbo, + quicker spin, + better throttle response, + better sounding exhaust…..
whilst maintaining the factory warranty, all sound like a waste to you!?? Interesting. Oh well, to each their own.
^ This is why. I just have mppsk + akra DP, and I couldn't stop smiling for several days after installation. The second I drove away, I immediately noticed an increase in torque and response. Wasn't really expecting akrapovics reported numbers to even be felt, but I was wrong. Oh and I'd buy this just for the sound.

Edit: I'm still flashing stage 1 or 2 BM3 whenever I get confirmation my DME can still be bench unlocked with BMW's latest software update from a few months ago.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #22
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It is a quality catalyst I have to say. HJS designed it to be both high flow and E6 compliant. I think the stock is 500 so an HJS-300 should be felt.
Appreciate 0